• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Lever Action

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Good afternoon guys, I’m reaching for suggestions. I have a beautiful all original 1916 Winchester 1894 in 30W.C.F.

It is by far my favorite rifle, and the one I love shooting the most. Sadly it is in need of some TLC. I have owned it for almost a decade. I’ve noticed the bluing is worn off in multiple areas, and I’m also seeing bare metal spots.

I’ve shot hundreds of rounds through it and its still functions fine. I clean and it keep it well oiled. I’m s little nervous about taking it out for hunting season without getting it re-finished. I never plan on selling it.

I’m looking at different finishes and I’m torn. While I like the bluing it’s a never ending battle of wiping off finger prints and keeping it looking nice. I’ve heard about Ion Bonding, Cerekote, and Parkerizing. What are your guys suggestion? Have you had to refinish a rifle? When should I be concerned about barrel life?

I realize that refinishing an old all original rifle may be considered sacrilege. I’m also thinking about upgrading the sights to a set of Skinner Sights.

Thanks for any input positive or negative, suggestions, or knowledge is helpful.

I'll put it in terms of my own old rifle, in a way. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22, the ultimate in aftermarket availability for modifying firearms. I've gone back and forth, dozens upon dozens of times, of upgrading it, from back when Brownell's was a catalog you had to pay for to even as recent as a couple weeks ago when I browsed over to Kidd's website. And every time, I come back to "No man, leave it as you knew it, learned on it, grew up with it, and can pass it on as the same." And this is just a typical department store bought 10/22 that's a few decades old.

Short of a cracked stock or anything else that gives serious safety concerns, I wouldn't touch a thing on your 108 year old rifle. Every wear, scratch, ding and dent is a story.

Barrel life? Tens of thousands, the 30 WCF (30-30) is mild, but I'd also not put any high performance loads through it. Remember, it was born firing 160gr lead loads with 30 grains of brand new and limited development smokeless powder under them, don't push the limits with new hotness too much.

I'd leave the sights alone as well. New guns are for tinkering, old guns are for cherishing. I'm going to finally get off my ass and get a new 10/22 receiver to mess with, I'd suggest you do the same for your lever gun urges. I'm personally a Henry fan, but there's some great stuff out these days from a few makers.

Keep it clean and oiled (especially in the field), don't let the stock get dried out, and enjoy every last outing with it.

Pic, pics, pics.

As stated above as well, unless it is falling apart, leave it as is and shoot it. I’ve had some rough looking old lever guns that still shot really well as is.

Reactions: Modoc