• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not Snipery, but super cool Vietnam capture

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Won this tonight on GunBroker. This is a Vietnam capture Chinese type 53 rifle, a copy of the Mosin M44. It comes with the transfer papers for CONUS for Col William G. Devanny. I was curious as to what kind of story might be associated with this gun and Col. Devanny. A Google search told me he was a Chaplain. Oh well, I guess no great capture story to go with this. Well, upon further research I found that Col. Devanny had served in WWII with the 17th Airborne Division. He fought at the Battle of the Bulge where he received a battlefield commission. He received the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, CIB, and Master Parachutist badge. He continued to serve as a Chaplain and was with the J3 MACV. The gun is piece of crap...it's previous owner is what is fascinating.

1590377513376.png

1590375940010.png

1590377480528.png

1590377580880.png

1590377615765.png

1590377649666.png

Cool stuff for sure. I always like to see a piece with some kind of interesting history. Every item with a bring back document just makes you wonder what the individual did and went through to get that back for us to ogle over. I’ve got a late 30s JP Sauer 38H with a bringback from WWII. I looked up the Soldier who brought it back to find out what I could but unfortunately there wasn’t a ton other than where he was from.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LG65CM
    Btw, when I got the Darne, I got it for restoration. Had no idea it came with capture papers.

With the capture documents, I was able to trackdown the MACV advisor in Kansas City who had captured it. And when I told him it was going to the NRA museum, he sent me his boots, cap and his maps from the operation along with his field notebook containing info on of the operation where he captured it. That is all on display with the shotgun and totally makes the display. The Darne was unrestorable and falling apart. With the story and artifacts, it is priceless.

You might see about contacting Col. Devanny’s family (I assume he has passed?) and if you can put some more info together the gun becomes a museum piece in its own right.

cheers, Sirhr

That sir is very cool. Never fired and only dropped once maybe?
    You did well. Really nice lighted shadow box to display is appropriate.

That sir is very cool. Never fired and only dropped once maybe?
    You did well. Really nice lighted shadow box to display is appropriate.
    I wouldn't say that. The captured shit I shot when I was in was well shot and damn near worn out.

Awesome find Buffalo!