• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOV. SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

Thread for posting scores for our monthly <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #CC9933">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION</span>" </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #009900">SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span>"</span> matches.

<span style="color: #FF0000">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION RULES </span>

SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Scores of both of the short range competitions will be posted in the same thread. If you shoot both the 4P and TRC, please use 2 different posts (one for each). At the end of the month, scores and rankings from both competitions will be posted as seperate events.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PREVIOUS <span style="color: #CC9933">4 POSITION</span> and <span style="color: #009900">50yd TACTICAL</span> SCORES </span>

OCTOBER 2010 scores

SEPTEMBER 2010 scores

AUGUST 2010 scores

JULY 2010 scores

JUNE 2010 scores

MAY 2010 scores

April 2010 scores

March 2010 scores

February 2010 scores

January 2010 scores

DECEMBER 2009 SCORES

A place for a good source of tips, tricks, what worked, what didn't, rifle / ammo performance, thoughts, etc.:

Learnings thread for SH short range competitions

Re: NOV. SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

THIS MONTH'S NUMBERS to be shot in the posted order for the 50Y TRC target, stage 2:

12, 10, 20, 9, 15
17, 5, 14, 11, 8

Hey guys,

Im keen to have a crack at this since finally finding a range that will let me use my own targets, but seems no one here is shooting 17hmr. can I still play or is this considered too much of an advantage against the 22lr?

ask at the end of november if it's too much of an advantage...
laugh.gif

just joking, no problem using the .17, it's bunched together in the TRC comp, any rimfire at 50 yards.

we do a 25y 4 position one, and some longer range one's also, where the .17 has it's own "division".

LOL.
I shot the September target this morning and did ok (220) so happy to give this one a go.

Cheers !

Missed last month trying to figure out this 40X cold bore... driving me nuts! The gun shoots high and then drops in. The good thing is that after the coldbore shot, the numbers are a little bigger so it gives the barrel more leniency to shoot its way in.

I'll get it in this weekend!

Username: Shaz_Au
<span style="font-weight: bold">Match: 50Y TP (Tactical Match, Prone Position</span>)
Date: 6/11/2010
Rifle: Savage MKII BV
Caliber: 22lr
Ammo: CCI SV
Sights: Scope (Muller APT 4.5-14x40)
Rest: Bipod, no rear bag

Stage 1: 25
Stage 2: 10
Stage 3: -10
Stage 4: 15
Stage 5: 40
Total Score :80

<span style="font-weight: bold">Penalties:</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stage 2 = -15</span>: miss 15 = 0 (white space between 15 & 3), no shoot 17 = -5 (screwed up hit 11 was aiming at 7 instead of 17), no shoot 5 = -5 (hit 4 instead of 5, flyer?), miss 11 = 0 (white space between 11 & 14), no shoot 8 = -5 (hit 13 instead of 8)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stage 3 = -10</span>: Hit circle twice missed three times

<span style="font-weight: bold">Remarks:</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stage 3</span>: Minus 10 points here really hurts!
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stage 4</span>: I’m claiming the I broke the line on the 10pt circle
<span style="font-weight: bold">General</span>:
Cold Bore: Gun had been sitting in the sun for an hour after I finished sighting in the new scope, any protest if this counts as a cold bore shot?

I think a rear bag would really help, I found it difficult to get back into position after the first magazine change and lost the plot after that.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conditions:</span>
Wind: Gusty, L->R, swinging from 6-9 o’clock
Light: Good, however target was in shade.
Temperature: Low 20s
Time: 3:15pm

2010110650yTacticalmatch.jpg

Good question on the cold bore shot shaz. I was wondering the same thing about how long does the rifle need to cool to be considered cold bore. I'm sure a rear bag will help, it helps me anyway.

Yeah I shoot this match with a rear bag too. Just can't do good enough without it (IMO). Very nice on those outside hostages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question on the cold bore shot shaz. I was wondering the same thing about how long does the rifle need to cool to be considered cold bore.</div></div>

I use the Smack the Smiley definition, which is first shot of the day, but it is understandable if logistics forces you to take the cold bore after sighting in a new rifle, especially if you only make it to the range once a month. It is all honor system anyway.

It definitely needs to be the first shot on the target though ;-)

25Y 4P

42 DEG F, 7-10MPH 3:00 WIND, 75% HUM, SUNNY

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Match: 25Y-4P
Class: S
Rifle: Savage MKII "F"
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Winchester super x
TLB: 44-0x (offhand)
TRB: 45-2x (kneeling)
CB: 44-0x (sitting)
LLB: 50-3x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-3x (prone - bipod)

Total Score: 233 - 8x

25Y 4P SS

50 DEG F, -3MPH WIND, 30% HUM, SUNNY

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Class: S
Rifle: Savage MKII "F"
Ammo: Winchester super x
TRB: 40-0x (kneeling)
CB: 45-1x (sitting)
LLB: 49-0x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 49-1x (prone - bipod)

Total Score: 227 - 2x

Brutal gusty wind from 3-6 oclock
Name; Clodhopper
Match;25Y-4P
Class; Scope
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; 22lr
Ammo; CCI Blazers
TLB; 34-0X
TRB; 45 0-X
CB; 49-2X
LLB; 46-0X
LRB; 48-2X no pod
Total 222-4X

Name;Clodhopper
Match 25Y-4P SS
Class; Scope
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; 22LR
Ammo; CCI blazers
TLB; 38-0X
TRB; 35-0X
CB; 44-1X
LLB; 38-0X
LRB; 50-3X no pod
Total 205-4X
got a range day when I could shoot and lots of fresh air in the bargin.
Gathering data on cold bore shots hoping the wind would go down. Well that was not going good so I shot the four position match,
My kneeling is not very solid as my scores show, paid in the standing and even got blown off the score rings once in prone.
I guess if you dont want ot shoot in the wind the toilets always need scrubbed.

Shot my Marlin 795 with the new low profile Williams Aperture (FP-GR), and my modified hooded post front sights.
100_0639.jpg

Here's what I got after zeroing;

Novemeber 2010 - 25y-4p

Weather was good - no wind - 50+ degrees

Name: Joe Martin
Class: Aperture
Rifle: Marlin 795
Caliber: .22
Ammo: X22LR
TLB: 45-1x (offhand)
TRB: 47-2x (kneeling)
CB: 48-2x (setting)
LLB: 50-3x (prone - unsupproted)
LRB: 49-3x (prone - unsupported)
Total: 239-11X

I like this rifle & Setup! It should do even better the more I work with it.
smile.gif

Thanks SBS, appreciate it!
smile.gif

If this coming weekend is nice I'm going to change the rear aperture and put in the R 3/8 x .050 that I ordered along with the FP-GR... It came with a R 3/8 x .093 Aperture (which I used to shoot the above scores), so I'd kind of like to see what the .050 Aperture will produce.

I did do a little dovetail work the 795 to get the best possible fit for this Aperture setup that I could. I took one of my stock carving wood chisels and inhanced the dovetail grooves on the receiver - only in the area where the FP-GR sets. The aluminum receiver was easy enough to "scrape/enhance" a better dovetail fit for this setup, and it didn't take much.

Looking forward to shooting this setup some more!
smile.gif

Stage 1: I naled the cold bore. Right off to a good start.

Stage 2: Kept it going with the grid. I only missed one and luckily it didn't hit a no-shoot.

Stage 3: GOD AWFUL. That group is just embarassing for me. My average 5 round group size at 50 yards is .40". Maybe I just needed a little more of a warm up. But DAMN.

Stage 4: Going on how I did on the group, I was only going to shoot the first two. Just missed it. Right outside the line.

Stage 5: Did pretty good here. The first one looked like a hostage hit to me back from the bench. When I got right up to the target though the burn mark just missed the line. No way it could be closer though. Would've liked the second one to be inside the 20 too but oh well.

I have a heavy wood stocked Mossberg 151 .22 LR that I pick up on Wednesday which is going to be a bit more accurate than my .17 at 50 yards. We'll see!

Username: SmallBoreSniper
Match: 50Y TP (Tactical Match, Benchrest)
Rifle: Marlin 917VR
Caliber: .17 HMR
Ammo: CCI TNT
Sights: Scope (Bushnell Banner 12X)
Rest: Bipod, rear bag

Stage 1: 20
Stage 2: 46
Stage 3: 10
Stage 4: 0
Stage 5: 10
Total Score :105

DSC01463.jpg

50Y TRC-B

Date: 13 Nov. 2010, 1:30pm.
Condition: Sunny
Light: Bright.
Temp: 62°F.
Wind: 3 MPH, variable.
Humidity: 23%.
Pressure: 30.08"
Altitude: 1400'

Name: MEAT4272
Rifle: CZ-452
Ammo: Remington Target Rifle (Eley)
Sights: SS 10x42
Rest: bipod front, bag rear

Stage 1: 25/25
Stage 2: 40/50
Stage 3: 50/50
Stage 4: 65/65
Stage 5: 60/60

Total score: 240/250

TRCBNOV2010.jpg

^ Now that's some damn fine shooting. Can't wait to try this with the .22!

5172726607_2438cb64f7.jpg

Class: O (Open Iron Sights)
Rifle: Ruger 10/22
Ammo: Remington cheapo
TLB: 42 - 1x (offhand)
TRB: 45 - 0x (kneeling)
CB: 48 - 1x (setting)
LLB: 49 - 3x (prone - sling only)
LRB: 49 - 1x (prone - sling only)
Total Score: 233-5x

Weather was pleasant for my first time shooting this comp. 40 degrees, mild wind, elevation around 5600'.

It was a lot of fun! I didn't have a bag I liked for the Lower Right, so I just shot with the sling again. I'll have to bring something better next time. Thanks for putting this on, I'm going to try and join every month.

-Mike

Nice shooting Mike. Happy to see another shooter throw in with the open iron. Well done!
smile.gif

"Open Iron" - November Score - 25Y-4P

Name: Joe Martin
Class: "O" (open Iron)
Rifle: Marlin 925
Caliber: .22lr
Ammo: Aguila Super Extra (1135 fps)
TRB: 45-1x (kneeling)
CB: 46-1x (setting)
LLB: 48-1x (prone - unsupproted)
LRB: 48-2x (prone - unsupported)
Total: 231-5X

MEAT, nice shooting! I can't believe that you hit the 30 pointer and got all the terrorists in the eyes and ended up missing one of the numbers! That should have been a perfect target.

Nice work!

Thanks guys,

Carter, I let the cold bore hit affect my shooting, I was thinking more about the CB hit and not enough about the fundamentals of marksmanship. I didn't catch the fact that I was screwing up until I was already 5 shots into stage two. It kind of gets under my skin because I have been dry fire drilling to get a good foundation.
I will get a perfect score one of these months !
grin.gif

Date: 21 Nov. 2010, 1:00pm.

Condition: Partly Cloudy
Light: Overcast
Temp: 42°F.
Humidity: 54%.
Pressure: 30.31"

Name: JoKeR_1

Stage 1: 0/25
Stage 2: 0/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 0/65
Stage 5: -10/60

Total Score: 0/250

TRCBNov2010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

Carter, I let the cold bore hit effect my shooting, I was thinking more about the CB hit and not enough about the fundamentals of marksmanship. I didn't catch the fact that I was screwing up until I was already 5 shots into stage two. It kind of gets under my skin because I have been dry fire drilling to get a good foundation.
I will get a perfect score one of these months !
grin.gif
</div></div>

I don't mean to harp on the negatives. It is great shooting! The tree toughest shots are the 30pt KYL, the terrorist, and the CBS. If you can make those, you should be able to clean this target. I have no doubt you will shoot a perfect soon.

Unfortunately, I spent a bulk of my shooting this month testing ammo and am in CA half the month, so I won't be shooting the 50yd tactical target this month unless I get in early enough on the 30th. I was all ready to shoot it this month with my 17hmr, but work had some other plans, so I missed shooting last Thurs. It was not meant to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoKeR_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Date: 21 Nov. 2010, 1:00pm.

Condition: Partly Cloudy
Light: Overcast
Temp: 42°F.
Humidity: 54%.
Pressure: 30.31"

Name: JoKeR_1

Stage 1: 0/25
Stage 2: 0/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 0/65
Stage 5: -10/60

Total Score: 0/250

TRCBNov2010.jpg

Thoughts: I had a hard time getting comfortable on the rifle, and I am still working on my aiming, breathing and squeezing. Including today I have fired about 120 rounds total... LOL I have a little learning curve coming.

Stage 1: Still practicing aiming, breathing and squeezing.
Stage 2: As I got into stage 2 throughout the string of fire everything comes into play. I sometimes slap the trigger.
Stage 3: Once I get shooting it is easier to hit the target.
Stage 4: Would have stopped at 3rd target, however husband told me to shoot all 4. Should not have listened...lol
Stage 5: Hostage got in the way...
eek.gif

Christine </div></div>

Nice shots on the KYL. I usually don't bother for the 4th for fear of losing all my points. As with everything else, practice makes perfect.
smile.gif

Hi Guys, After missing last months comp managed to get a few quick shots down range after work tonight.

Here's the results

IMG_0466.jpg

Match;25Y-4P
Class; Scope
Rifle; CZ452
Caliber; 22lr
Ammo; Winchester Sub 40gr HP
Offhand; 49-3X ...dropped the first shot
frown.gif

Sitting; 50-3X
Kneeling; 50-2X
Prone; 49-1X
Pron BP; 50-4X
Total 248-13X

Click the link for "Printable targets" in the first post of this thread
smile.gif

50Y TRC-B.
Condition: cloudy/snow
Light: foggy.
Temp: 32°F.
Wind: 10 MPH, variable.'

Name: haptoshoot
Rifle: custom 10/22
Ammo: wolf match
Sights: S 6-24x40

Stage 1: 10/25
Stage 2: 30/50
Stage 3: 35/50
Stage 4: 15/65
Stage 5: 40/60

Total score: 130/250

25Y 4p
Condition:clear
Light: sunny.
Temp: 22°F.
Wind:0 MPH, variable.'

Name: haptoshoot
Rifle: custom 10/22
Ammo: wolf match
Sights: S 6-24x40

TLB: 46-2x (offhand)
TRB: 48-2x (kneeling)
CB: 49-3x (sitting)
LLB: 50 -5x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-5x (prone - unsupported)
243 17x

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOVEMBER SHORT RANGE RESULTS:</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">25Y 4P</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22 CALIBER</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"O" CLASS</span>

1. MANBIKE26...............233 - 5X
2. JOE MARTIN..............231 - 5X

<span style="font-weight: bold">"A" CLASS</span>

1. JOE MARTIN..............239 - 11X

<span style="font-weight: bold">"S" CLASS</span>

1. NZ SHOOTA...............248 - 13X
smile.gif
!
2. HAPTOSHOOT............243 - 17X
3. TOP PREDATOR..........233 - 8X
4. CLOD HOPPER............222 - 4X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">25Y 4P SS</span></span>

1. TOP PREDATOR............227 - 2X
2. CLOD HOPPER..............205 - 4X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC - P</span></span>

1. SHAZ_AU..................80/250

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC - B</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.17 CALIBER</span>

1. SMALLBORESNIPER.....105/250

1. MEAT4272.............240/250
smile.gif

2. HAPTOSHOOT........130/250
3. JOKER_1...............0/250 --- PERFECT SCORE
wink.gif

As to be expected with the holidays, hunting seasons, and weather, participation was down this month, and probably will be for December. A big WELCOME to new match shooters MANBIKE26 and JOKER_1.

Hopefully next month, Santa will leave an extra something special "Hiding" in all of our Sniper's stockings. It's hard to believe that next month is also the last month of 2010.

We'll all be waiting to see what ol' St. Nick put under the tree, or what gifts of Hanukkah that we'll use next year, as I'm sure we were all good boys and girls in 2010.

Shot this yesterday for my first time. Pretty sad, but I'll deal with it. I recently got my Savage Mk II TR and it's pretty nice. I do get flyers fairly often (about 1-2 per 10 rounds) Not sure if it's the ammo (only use Wolf Match and Remington Target so far) or the gun. Thinking about sending it to savagegunsmithing for a little work.

I forgot to write down the numbers for stage 2 so I just did 1-10. I apologize for the stupidity and it won't happen again.

Savage Mk II TR
Wolf Match .22
Prone
62 degrees and sunny. 3-5 MPH wind 5 o'clock
145/250

Stage 1: Cold bore was a bad shot on my part.

Stage 2: Shot it okay. Had a couple pulled shots (6, 5, 7). 3 and 4 were the flyers rearing their ugly head (struck the 15 instead of 4 and missed 3)

Stage 3: Pretty terrible grouping. I've shot tighter groups with this rifle before. Not sure what my problem was.

Stage 4: Another wild round. I was pretty upset since I knew my position and trigger pull were right on. I was planning on stopping there to keep the points, but it didn't go as planned.

Stage 5: I'll take it.

Over all a it was a ton of fun and I'll definitely be in from now on.

20tnwup.jpg