• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Noveske Afghan optic

newyork

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
I'm currently using a 1-4 on this gun and can't help wanting more magnification. Bench and prone shooting at 100-200 yards. Gun is supposedly capable of .5 moa. I've barely used it and am already wanting more magnification. Budget is $1600 for scope and mount. What should I get?

Re: Noveske Afghan optic

I am using a Nightforce 2.5x10x32 on a Ar10 and really like it. It has the velocity reticle which works really good.

That's what I had in mind but it is out of stock at cstactical and Larue tactical.

I recommend Sportoptics.com. I bought my Nightforce there - knowledgeable, great price and in stock.

Thank you. They are closed for the day. I'll call tomorrow. For mostly 69-77 grain match ammo at 100 and 200 yards, which reticle should I get?

what is the gun used for? With a short barrel why would you need a higher mag scope?

What bullet weight are you shooting as well?

Shooting prone and at the bench. Paper shooting for groups. Mostly 69-77 but some in the 55 grain weight.

If you are going with a velocity reticle, .223 usually requires a low velocity reticle. I would advise against a velocity reticle unless "close enough" is good for you. The velocity reticle isn't meant to be pinpoint accurate for holdovers. It's just meant to give you a practical holdover for hunting and such.

I'd go for one of the ranging reticles is you want something for holdovers. In any case, the 2.5-10X32 is an excellent scope. It's pretty compact for what it is and has good glass.

The only downside, if it is a downside, is that on the models with zero stops, there is also a stop on the windage knob and will only let you dial 5 MOA in either direction. I've never needed to dial more than that, except on a couple of occassions, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

This was my 16" build using a 2.5-10X32 in an ADM mount.

DSC_0007.jpg

Ok thanks so much. Would the mildot be best or np-r2?

I'm going to go for the MIL/MIL version for the 16" larue stealth I'm waiting on. If you are near me in NY, feel free shoot me a PM.

Thank you. About 2 hours though. if i could find a mil/mil 2.5-10x24, that would be great. My afghan has a Sully stock and is pretty compact. Would love to sell my NF 1-4 NP-1 too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to try Euro Optics also... Alex is great to deal with... </div></div>
Alex told me save money and get the Weiss Conquest 4-14 or 6.5-20. He suggested American Rifleman rings. The rings won't give enough eye relief and the scopes seem huge.
He said they'd be no bigger than the NF, much cheaper and just as good. They are slightly bigger and heavier.

Also looking at the IOR 1.5-8, 2.5-10, Leupold 2.5-8.

Did Alex really tell you to save the money and go with the Conquest because it was just as good as a Nightforce? I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I've had Conquests and I'll take Nightforce all day, any day.

Yes he really did. I didn't even say I wanted to save. I said I wanted to spend $1600 with mount. He went with a big assed Zeiss, said it wasn't bigger than the NF, which it is, and I was further confused.

Any more input or should I just stick with the 2.5-10x32 NF?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newyork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any more input or should I just stick with the 2.5-10x32 NF? </div></div>

Stick with the NightForce 2.5-10X32 with reticle of your choice. Try Jay Wiggins at Sport Optics they usually have a large stock of NightForce scopes.
PS I have the same noveske Afghan model and it does shoot 0.5"roups @100 yards.
smile.gif

I'd stick with the Nightforce. Just go to their website and check out all of their reticle. If you do get the Velocity reticle, just be sure it's what you want. It isn't very flexible.

Since I am shooting 100-200 and maybe 300 once in a while, I am convinced the LV reticle without zero stop is the way to go and may buy tomorrow or Thursday. I'm giddy like a school girl. Extended mount-Larue, Bobro or ADM?

I have the Bobro extended 30mm on my N6 and really like it a lot. No adjustments needed whatsoever and it locks down tighter than tight. Highly recommended
IMG_0091.jpg

I'm ordering the scope in a matter of hours. Can't wait. I am going with the LV and capped turrets without zero stop. I only shoot at 100-300 and the reticle has a bdc. I figured this will save me a few bucks not getting zero stop. It was at the suggestion of Sport Optics. What say you experts right before I buy?

Jay Wiggins or Chris at Sport Optics treat board members right. Mention you are a member at the Hide. Huge inventory super fast free delivery and no tax.

You were right Santo. Jay Wiggins is fantastic. There's a NF 2.5-10x32 LV on its way to me.

Well, since you got the Velocity retilcle, I suppose that the Zero Stops would be sort of unneeded. That's what I thought when I bought my NF with velocity reticle.

Yeah they said and so did NF, that I wouldn't need it and it made sense to me so...no zero stop which equals a good amount of savings....for ammo.