• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Nox 18 unboxing and first thoughts

Sorry I'm such a rube but wtf is NUC?

A highly addictive street drug - albeit an alternate spelling. Wig is right too though. Who knew so many nucs.

And yes I’m about that old and that funny. Keep nuc’ing my friends.

Reactions: drmarc
Well at close distance it seems pretty good. Gotta adjust the focus like a pvs14 and this is through my crappy iphone and focus may not be 100% it looks 10x better to the naked eye, my ohone has a case on it and the glass is all scratched up. These pics do NOT do it any justice.

it is pretty damn sweet, i can see really good detail so far, even at 80* out and 25% humidity but its real test will be tonight.

Attachments

• D99744D9-5B80-4B5C-911C-BBB20D3F2129.jpeg
    D99744D9-5B80-4B5C-911C-BBB20D3F2129.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 135
  • AA5BA71B-75BD-4539-B993-2445575D089F.jpeg
    AA5BA71B-75BD-4539-B993-2445575D089F.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Jim Out
Really tough to take a photo of the little screen and represent what it looks like with your naked eye. But this one was the best of the few I took the other night. Nearly pitch black outside, cold and humidI should have got a photo of my vehicles through a PVS-14 while I was at it.

The dark blur in lower 1/3 of image is a PEQ. I think I’ll mount this to a riser next.

48C90698-A419-4AC7-A20B-1719D76F40B3.jpeg

Really tough to take a photo of the little screen and represent what it looks like with your naked eye. But this one was the best of the few I took the other night. Nearly pitch black outside, cold and humidI should have got a photo of my vehicles through a PVS-14 while I was at it.

The dark blur in lower 1/3 of image is a PEQ. I think I’ll mount this to a riser next.

View attachment 7552731

my suppressed blocks a little on my 22lr 16” barrel. But mine is going on a bump as soon as protection group denmark hurries the fuck up!

for now mounted on a rifle will have to do.

Attachments

• 39CF5E72-B8E1-42D2-8581-852D6B5D98CF.jpeg
    39CF5E72-B8E1-42D2-8581-852D6B5D98CF.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 100
Anyone worked out a dual helmet setup with the Nox on the left yet? Seem to be some issues with positioning.
Between Nvision and mod armory i got the impression that you can flip the nox mounts around(dovetail on the picatinny mount location) and you can flip the screen, BUT the dovetail location is not weapons rated. So if you put the picatinny mount onto the dovetail location, do not mount it to a rifle and shoot it.
The mod armory dual dovetail mount should work with this. Although i have not tried it as i do not have a pvs at the moment, it is on order.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Between Nvision and mod armory i got the impression that you can flip the nox mounts around(dovetail on the picatinny mount location) and you can flip the screen, BUT the dovetail location is not weapons rated. So if you put the picatinny mount onto the dovetail location, do not mount it to a rifle and shoot it.
The mod armory dual dovetail mount should work with this. Although i have not tried it as i do not have a pvs at the moment, it is on order.
You are absolutely correct.

Reactions: Jgunner
Alright so my first impressions are it's an amazing piece of technology and really, really cool. That said it's a little underwhelming on a rifle, but that's because it's meant to be on a helmet imo.

Even in pitch black night, the Nox's black hot mode is like 90% of what a PVS14 sees, it's that good. Note I'm in a neighborhood and finding wildlife or any life to see was difficult. So what I wound up doing was walking around my property in black hot mode (just holding it up to my eye) and then when I saw something super black that could be an animal I would switch it to white hot mode to pick out exactly what it was. I was able to spot birds 75-100 yards away whether flying or sitting in trees. I spotted two bunnies about 100-150 yards away. They started as very black shapes and then after I made them white hot I could pick out more detail and see them doing bunny stuff. My dog in the yard was very obviously a dog and stood out against the background like a supernova.

On a rifle it wasn't quite as good but could work if that's all you have. First problem was (as shown in someone else's pic above) seeing your support hand/thumb, the gun's rails, and any lasers/attachments in the lower third of the picture. I tried it directly on the top rail first and had the same issue so then I grabbed a Unity riser afterward and put the Nox on it instead, worked way better and cleared the obstructions. Being this 2.26" height did actually feel great and it was just right. However, while I could see those bunnies I'm not confident in taking the shot with just the thermal view; that's where NVG has a big advantage imo, because you can go active with a laser/illum. That could just be my lack of experience shooting thermal though.

Maybe the biggest downside on a gun was just the display being so small. Once the Nox is supported and you're scanning around it makes me think a 5-9" external display mounted with it would really kick ass. This should be possible via the USB cable it uses to send data out, hmm.

I'm still undecided on if I'm keeping it, but that's not because anything is wrong with the Nox. The problem is I wanted the opposite use case, where it is awesome on a gun but I could walk around with it if I had to. The Nox is definitely meant to be on a helmet and alongside a PVS14 imo, if you are buying it to ride on a gun primarily you will probably be a little disappointed.

PS: Shout out to Huey Outdoors for getting it to me so quickly!

Alright so my first impressions are it's an amazing piece of technology and really, really cool. That said it's a little underwhelming on a rifle, but that's because it's meant to be on a helmet imo.

Even in pitch black night, the Nox's black hot mode is like 90% of what a PVS14 sees, it's that good. Note I'm in a neighborhood and finding wildlife or any life to see was difficult. So what I wound up doing was walking around my property in black hot mode (just holding it up to my eye) and then when I saw something super black that could be an animal I would switch it to white hot mode to pick out exactly what it was. I was able to spot birds 75-100 yards away whether flying or sitting in trees. I spotted two bunnies about 100-150 yards away. They started as very black shapes and then after I made them white hot I could pick out more detail and see them doing bunny stuff. My dog in the yard was very obviously a dog and stood out against the background like a supernova.

On a rifle it wasn't quite as good but could work if that's all you have. First problem was (as shown in someone else's pic above) seeing your support hand/thumb, the gun's rails, and any lasers/attachments in the lower third of the picture. I tried it directly on the top rail first and had the same issue so then I grabbed a Unity riser afterward and put the Nox on it instead, worked way better and cleared the obstructions. Being this 2.26" height did actually feel great and it was just right. However, while I could see those bunnies I'm not confident in taking the shot with just the thermal view; that's where NVG has a big advantage imo, because you can go active with a laser/illum. That could just be my lack of experience shooting thermal though.

Maybe the biggest downside on a gun was just the display being so small. Once the Nox is supported and you're scanning around it makes me think a 5-9" external display mounted with it would really kick ass. This should be possible via the USB cable it uses to send data out, hmm.

I'm still undecided on if I'm keeping it, but that's not because anything is wrong with the Nox. The problem is I wanted the opposite use case, where it is awesome on a gun but I could walk around with it if I had to. The Nox is definitely meant to be on a helmet and alongside a PVS14 imo, if you are buying it to ride on a gun primarily you will probably be a little disappointed.

PS: Shout out to Huey Outdoors for getting it to me so quickly!
Would you post some pics.
And is the display smaller than a reap-Ir? Please elaborate

577E28A4-A5E1-4172-9FD9-80C01CA6DED4.jpeg

this goes out to around 300 yards my phone is set on low quality as i have a lot of photos for work on it. Just holding it up to my nox. Not as good as it looks in person.

View attachment 7568654

this goes out to around 300 yards my phone is set on low quality as i have a lot of photos for work on it. Just holding it up to my nox. Not as good as it looks in person.

I notice when i click on it it looks pixilated. It is not at all in person until you get above 4x. Its like looking through a black and white camera. Black hot shows topo better, white hot shows critters better.

Reactions: dravz
Would you post some pics.
And is the display smaller than a reap-Ir? Please elaborate
I just mean the display is so good it could be bigger and still look fantastic. I don’t have experience with any other thermal.

I’ve come to the conclusion the Nox 18 is literally a thermal PVS14 and should be used as such. I thought it would be more “scopey” and maybe the Nox 35 would be what I want.

To avoid a restocking fee I’ll be listing it on the classifieds at some point.

Reactions: mikefraz
I notice when i click on it it looks pixilated. It is not at all in person until you get above 4x. Its like looking through a black and white camera. Black hot shows topo better, white hot shows critters better.

Completely agree with this assessment.

Reactions: Jgunner
I have one on back order so was wondering just how bad it is on a rifle? I'm getting it for its versatility and not being practical on a rifle is kinda a deal breaker. I don't hunt and my hope was on 1x with practice it would be relatively fast. Anyone who has used trijicon or hogsters that can compare?

Reactions: mikefraz
I have one on back order so was wondering just how bad it is on a rifle? I'm getting it for its versatility and not being practical on a rifle is kinda a deal breaker. I don't hunt and my hope was on 1x with practice it would be relatively fast. Anyone who has used trijicon or hogsters that can compare?
I would be just fine on a rifle. I think its at home on a short range gasser, 22 or shotgun. Indont see why 200 yard shots are not possible although I have not tried yardage yet.