• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NP-R1 or NP-R2?

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
So I have decided on purchasing a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 MOA/MOA for my POF P308. The only thing stopping me is that i don't know which reticle will suit me best the NP-R1 or R2. Im leaning towards the NP-R1. Does the NP-R2 offer any advantage over the NP-R1?

Re: NP-R1 or NP-R2?

I prefer the R1 only because of the windage stanza, now if they were to change the R2 to 2moa on both elevation and windage, That would be a winner.

NP-R1 is the why to go if you are ranging or holding off to make long shots. I like the 1 moa lines, makes ranging small targets a lot easier at medium range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So I have decided on purchasing a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 MOA/MOA for my POF P308. The only thing stopping me is that i don't know which reticle will suit me best the NP-R1 or R2. Im leaning towards the NP-R1. Does the NP-R2 offer any advantage over the NP-R1?</div></div>

If you'll hold off til this summer, NightForce is supposed to release some more scopes and it's rumored that a higher powered FFP will be released. THAT is what I'm waiting for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the R1 only because of the windage stanza, now if they were to change the R2 to 2moa on both elevation and windage, That would be a winner. </div></div>
True... i have both the r1 and r2, prefer the r2 because there is less "hash" goin on... but wouldn't mind the xtra 2moa on windage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So I have decided on purchasing a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 MOA/MOA for my POF P308. The only thing stopping me is that i don't know which reticle will suit me best the NP-R1 or R2. Im leaning towards the NP-R1. Does the NP-R2 offer any advantage over the NP-R1?</div></div>

If you'll hold off til this summer, NightForce is supposed to release some more scopes and it's rumored that a higher powered FFP will be released. THAT is what I'm waiting for. </div></div>

Oh! I think I will hold off. I would love to see a 5.5-22x56 F1. Do you know about what month during summer?I'm surprised that they didn't release the new scopes at Shot Show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NP-R1 is the why to go if you are ranging or holding off to make long shots. I like the 1 moa lines, makes ranging small targets a lot easier at medium range. </div></div>

I will be making shots between 100-800yds on a known distance range but if I get a chance to go on a UKD range the R1 might make it easier than the R2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So I have decided on purchasing a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 MOA/MOA for my POF P308. The only thing stopping me is that i don't know which reticle will suit me best the NP-R1 or R2. Im leaning towards the NP-R1. Does the NP-R2 offer any advantage over the NP-R1?</div></div>

If you'll hold off til this summer, NightForce is supposed to release some more scopes and it's rumored that a higher powered FFP will be released. THAT is what I'm waiting for. </div></div>

Oh! I think I will hold off. I would love to see a 5.5-22x56 F1. Do you know about what month during summer?I'm surprised that they didn't release the new scopes at Shot Show. </div></div>

Check this link:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...743#Post2361743

Thanks Killshot. A 34mm F1 5.5-22x56 (at the same price as the current F1) would be perfect!

After the scope AAC 7.62 SD is next :p

Like I said on Facebook, get the AWC ThunderTrap.
wink.gif

Go Mil/Mil now, stop fighting it, you'll be happier in the long run

The NP-R1 has tighter hash marks for more precise holds for hold-overs, movers and wind holds. The R2 has 5 moa spacing, and can be hard for a precise hold on movers or wind. I have and use both, and prefer the NP-R1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go Mil/Mil now, stop fighting it, you'll be happier in the long run </div></div>.

I have entertained the idea, but I have grown up shooting moa. I think ill stick to what I know. Thanks. doesn't mean I won't get a mil mil scope in the future.

Without question, go with the NP-R1. I just cannot imagine having to make reasonably accurate wind calls with 5 MOA increments. The 2 MOA increments make it far more easier, plus all of the odd numbered horizontal hash marks are 1 MOA across, so you can fine tune your call so to speak.

NP-R1, I use the tighter marks to hold for wind in F-class 1000yds and sometimes i would like to have it even tighter but no way could i use 5moa increments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NP-R1 is the why to go if you are ranging or holding off to make long shots. I like the 1 moa lines, makes ranging small targets a lot easier at medium range. </div></div>

+1 Go with the NP-R1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the R1 only because of the windage stanza, now if they were to change the R2 to 2moa on both elevation and windage, That would be a winner. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go Mil/Mil now, stop fighting it, you'll be happier in the long run </div></div>

I agree. I too at one time was a MOA/MOA guy. I saw the light, and havent looked back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go Mil/Mil now, stop fighting it, you'll be happier in the long run </div></div>

I agree. I too at one time was a MOA/MOA guy. I saw the light, and havent looked back... </div></div>

They are correct. If you insist, don't bother with the R2, go with the NPR1 for sure.

NPR1. Seems a little busy at low mag. But who really spends a lot of time at low mag anyway. NPR1 all the way.

npr1

this is what i shoot with now.... but will probably switch to mlr2 when available

try to find someone with either and try it out for yourself