• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NPR2 Too Coarse For Ranging Newbie?

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I got a good look thru one and got to squeeze off a few at a 300yd. target and think thats for me.
I have no experiance with using one for ranging, just like a not cluttered, good size stadia reticle like that and the scope was sharp as well. Easy on the eyes so to speak.
Posts I have read seem to reflect on the NPR1 as being finer and more accurate when ranging.

Re: NPR2 Too Coarse For Ranging Newbie?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sporter II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a good look thru one and got to squeeze off a few at a 300yd. target and think thats for me.
I have no experiance with using one for ranging, just like a not cluttered, good size stadia reticle like that and the scope was sharp as well. Easy on the eyes so to speak.
Posts I have read seem to reflect on the NPR1 as being finer and more accurate when ranging.</div></div>

Take a look at the NP-R1 and the MOAR. Both of those, in my opinion, are much better reticles to use for ranging.

The problem with ranging with the NPR2 is that the vertical marks are 2 min apart. Unless you are really good at judging the space, ie is that 1.3 moa or 1.5 moa. It creates issues with geitting a accurate read. The NPR 1 is much better suited for ranging.

I had the NP-R2 before the NP-R1 came out. One class at Badlands taught me that ranging horizontal with 5 MOA marks is POOP!

"Why didn't you range vertically with the 2 MOA marks?"
Because you could only see the top half of the iron maidens, the bottom end was down in the grass. It's hard to range what you can't see.

"Uncluttered" reticle sounds logical until you actually have to accurately range with it. I now have NP-R1's.

I would have them converted to the new MOAR, but $300 for a reticle swaps seems rediculous. You might find it hard to believe, but the very first NXS reticle I had swapped cost $120!! and that included shipping back to me! Ahh how times have changed.

As others have said NPR1 or the new MOAR, very hard to beat 1moa spacings.
I had a couple of NPR2s whilst I had an NPR1, will never have an NPR2 again.

Sporter II,

If you are looking to shoot paper with the reticle, I really prefer the NPR-1 out of all the MOA reticles offered from Nightforce in the NXS series.

The MOAR is a great hybrid reticle I just find it is a tad too thick for paper work in my opinion. The floating crosshair on the MOAR is great for bracketing the target. I really like it for field shooting. Personaly I would like to see the NPR reticles replaced with MOAR and MOAR-F (fine). I think that would be a novel idea.

Anyway, to each his own. What might work for one might not work for another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sporter II,

If you are looking to shoot paper with the reticle, I really prefer the NPR-1 out of all the MOA reticles offered from Nightforce in the NXS series.

The MOAR is a great hybrid reticle I just find it is a tad too thick for paper work in my opinion. The floating crosshair on the MOAR is great for bracketing the target. I really like it for field shooting. <span style="font-weight: bold">Personally I would like to see the NPR reticles replaced with MOAR and MOAR-F (fine). I think that would be a novel idea.
</span>
Anyway, to each his own. What might work for one might not work for another.

</div></div>

I agree!

Range with a .1 mil hash one time and you will be converted. If im measuring i want the finest ruler i can get.

i have an npr2 and agree that the horizontal hold offs take too much time with the 5 moa spacing, almost faster to dial imo.