• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRA AR tactical recommendations for my 11 yr old

JeffNC

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2021
New Hampshire, USA
My 11 yr old is liking shooting NRA AR tactical while borrowing some gear at the moment. He is contemplating asking for his own rifle for his birthday/Christmas. Was curious on input for what the best gun I can get him within the AR tactical restrictions would be. 100% open to piecing it together vice a factory build.

Check out Compass Lake Engineering, White Oak Armament, and Fulton Armory websites first. They all cater to high power/national match shooters. Fulton Armory sells complete rifles. You can piece together a complete rifle from Compass lake (CLE), but they don't have complete rifles listed in their catalog. White Oak specializes in uppers and sell parts for the lowers. Both Compass Lake and White Oak custom builds uppers; Compass lake will also do custom barrels.

Check out Compass Lake Engineering, White Oak Armament, and Fulton Armory websites first. They all cater to high power/national match shooters. Fulton Armory sells complete rifles. You can piece together a complete rifle from Compass lake (CLE), but they don't have complete rifles listed in their catalog. White Oak specializes in uppers and sell parts for the lowers. Both Compass Lake and White Oak custom builds uppers; Compass lake will also do custom barrels.
Awesome. I’ll take a look at them.

within the AR tactical restrictions
Luckily it's not too "restrictive" that you can't build it yourself. WOA service rifle barrel, quad rail upper, no brake, Harris bipod, and you're there. Its pretty flexible on the "tactical style" buttstock too, as long as the total weight (including 15x max optics) is under 14 lbs.

Build it together.

From the outside it's nothing special but dad and I just made our own wobbler for a trap thrower using lumber, a chair swivel, and a salvage windshield wiper motor. I wouldn't give that time back for anything.

I kinda really appreciate that my build for those matches is a left side charger,. And cannot recommend a BAD lever, or an Ambi bolt release of some kind enough since our matches require single feeding. I can do all the loading and send the bolt home without my support hand leaving it's position.

Obviously you'll want to get a quality modular stock as he'll need to adjust as he grows.

Last edited: