• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRA small bore match recommendation

bill rogers

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
So. Cal
My local gun club is really fanatical about these NRA small bore shooting contests, and I find myself looking for a .22 that has a tubular magazine, iron sights, and is either pump or lever action. (Note: I think that an external hammer is also a a requirement, but I am not entirely sure.)
So, of the above requirements, can anyone recommend a .22 rifle make and model that is accurate. Or to put it another way: What is an accurate make and model of .22 with the above features?

Re: NRA small bore match recommendation

Have you gone to a match to see what they are shooting?

Smallbore usually is single-fire and the rifles are built to reflect that.

There is Rimfire Silhouette which I've seen people use repeaters on.

sounds like you are talking about Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette. there's also a pistol cartridge lever action silhouette (which includes .22lr and .22mag cartridges along with the usual .45 colt, .357 mag, etc.)

from what i'm told a marlin 39 or 39A is the shit for this type of competition, particularly the older 39's.

pump wise, the remington 572 fieldmaster is a popular one.

the link to the rule book
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBo...9+248a+4d87+4d88+&hc=12&req=cowboy+silhouette

scroll to the 8th page and 9th page.

i'm quite sure any .22lr lever or pump for the smallbore cowboy silhouette will work just fine, most are "minute of ram" with ammo it likes.

As it turned out the last two were canceled due to the rain, here in East Tx. So I really did not get to see a lot. Neet little steel silhouettes, of pigs, chickens, etc. And thanks for the input.