• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL 22 Shooters...

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
Gentlemen
I am wanting to buy 2 setups for my son and I to shoot NRL22 / Base class this summer. Can you tell me what you mostly see rifle wise / scope wise in that class? I am starting fresh so can pickup whatever, and want to make sure they fall within rules of base class

Thank you

Reactions: Badjujuu
Currently is a $1200 MSRP (or adjusted for inflation on older items) for the rifle and optic only.

I'd honestly not get too hung up on having to be in base class if a better choice in gear (usually the scope) is affordable and puts you just over.

Tikka T1x or any of the CZ 457 family are more than capable. On optics a good zero stop and ability to focus to at least 25 yards can't be emphasized enough. The zero stop may not be available on many cheap scopes. Arken, Athlon, Element, Bushnell, Vortex all have offerings to look at.

If you are also considering NRL22X factor in the elevation adjustment range, you'll need more if wanting to dial past 300 and still be able to zero or dial to 25.

Reactions: lash
A Vortex Venom and a CZ would serve him well. I would get the Venom over the Diamondback Tactical as it has a better reticle, more elevation and a zero stop.

They will announce the Base class updates in March/April. Right now CZ inflated their MSRP's by $100, so combos that used to work last season will no longer work this upcoming season.

The CZ 457 MTR has a sub MOA guarantee at 50 yds, and the CZ 457 other models will have a lottery barrel which could be good, otherwise, their guarantee on it is 1.5moa (not good).

Tikka T1X is also a really solid choice and on average has been more consistently accurate. It's got a really crappy plastic stock, but you're allowed to modify quite a bit of it and still be within Base class rules (add a cheek riser, add length of pull, add an arca rail).

IMO the Tikka does NOT need more LOP unless you have gorilla arms. It is borderline too long for me, check it for yourself before blindly buying the longer T3 pad.

The slippery hard plastic plate does need some scuffing with a scotch brite pad or some wet and dry sand paper though.

I’d personally do a tikka t1x with an element helix or vortex venom.

Hey Learjet…
What type of ammo? Reasonable accuracy?

Thanks

No one brought up the ruger rpr. Is it that far behind the other options mentioned?
They seem to be even more of a lottery ticket on getting a good one. A friend has a good one that he loans out, he uses his CZ's for himself.

In my area it's the only one I've seen at a match, but admittedly I've not been shooting NRL22 that long yet. I've seen more 10/22's FWIW.

I started w a RPR, it was worthless. I lost the barrel lottery on that one. Tried all the tricks short of a new barrel, timney trigger etc.

ive shot a few 6x5s w the cz, i use sk std, dont worry about ammo lots etc. im tryin to save the ammo sorting nightmare for the vudoo. Funny i never bother takin the vudoo to nrl comps, mines got a 22” barrel and its just so much easier to move and setup for the stages w the litlle cz

heres a set of 50 yd groups, ive got more buried somewhere

27276FBF-9E74-4DCA-9D50-01E9EAABC3DF.jpeg

Reactions: Tiger_Shilone
Starting Base vs. Open seems to be a tug-of-war topic.
It is difficult to fit in the Base class with seemingly little reward. My philosophy is that Base is the "bring what you got" don't go out and buy anything for it class and Open is if you like the the game and are buying a equipment for it. When purchasing for Base, one has a very small list to choose from and usually involves paying full retail. On the Open side, between great sales, trade discounts, and used components, you can have far greater quality equipment for not much more and possibly the same price as Base class.

Examples :

Tikka T1x (MSRP $529) + Vortex DB Tactical (MSRP$499) = Base ( $1028)

PWS Summit (now Voltquartsen) paid $600 on Gunbroker (Volquartsen MSRP $1331) + Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5x27 on hide exchange $525 (MSRP $1062.49). What I have put into it ($1,125) is within Base cost, but MSRP ($2193.49) throws it deep into Open class.

Even using the Tikka MSRP from the first example with the Athlon Ares on the second is a great example of how to hamstring yourself out of quality of purchase just to stay in Base class.

Last edited:
Son is an adult- bigger than me / lol

Thanks for the info

Base class isn't worth it unless you really really have a budget

it doesnt take very long to shoot more $ worth of ammo than the cost of a RimX/Vudoo

I must have got lucky with my RPR. With a Venom on top it does well. Also have a 457/Midas Tac that does well. Wife has a Ruger American Target/Midas Tac that does well. I think any of those along with the T1X would be good.
I will say that I would not buy a scope with out a zero stop. I would sacrifice some gun money to bump up to a zero stop scope.
Also if you two will be shooting together a lot, I would recommend the same reticle. I believe it makes it easier for calling misses and learning together. Good luck.

Knowing what I know now...I'd probably still have over thirty .22lr pew flingers, but I would have saved some money waiting to get what I really wanted than getting what I could "afford today".

That being said, if you get a couple good ones now, so you can compete this season, you will still have fun.

I didn't read every response in this thread, so it may have been brought up already, but just in case: Get a scope that dials in MIL. Most people at a match will be using MIL scopes, and it will be easier to "speak the same language".

I didn't read every response in this thread, so it may have been brought up already, but just in case: Get a scope that dials in MIL. Most people at a match will be using MIL scopes, and it will be easier to "speak the same language".

I remember the other match, the person starts the stage and is totally just missing the target and I'm looking at his scope and it's in Mils, but he thought it was in moa, and dialed to "2" for a 63 yard target and was just sailing them over.

But yeh, at our match 95% of the shooters are in mil. And it's always a struggle to help the moa shooters because I don't recall the moa for a lot of the common distances like I do in mils.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Vortex / CZ
Not in base class and a little too heavy, but I like the way you think.
A Vortex Venom and a CZ would serve him well. I would get the Venom over the Diamondback Tactical as it has a better reticle, more elevation and a zero stop.
^This^
I made the mistake of buying the Diamondback and ended up replacing it with an LRHS2, which has the zero stop and is great. To be fair, I really liked the reticle and clarity of the Diamondback, but will use it on a rifle that doesn’t have to be dialed so much.
Starting Base vs. Open seems to be a tug-of-war topic.
It is difficult to fit in the Base class with seemingly little reward. My philosophy is that Base is the "bring what you got" don't go out and buy anything for it class and Open is if you like the the game and are buying a equipment for it. When purchasing for Base, one has a very small list to choose from and usually involves paying full retail. On the Open side, between great sales, trade discounts, and used components, you can have far greater quality equipment for not much more and possibly the same price as Base class.

Examples :

Tikka T1x (MSRP $529) + Vortex DB Tactical (MSRP$499) = Base ( $1028)

PWS Summit (now Voltquartsen) paid $600 on Gunbroker (Volquartsen MSRP $1331) + Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5x27 on hide exchange $525 (MSRP $1062.49). What I have put into it ($1,125) is within Base cost, but MSRP ($2193.49) throws it deep into Open class.

Even using the Tikka MSRP from the first example with the Athlon Ares on the second is a great example of how to hamstring yourself out of quality of purchase just to stay in Base class.
^This, for sure.^
Base class really doesn’t buy you much and may leave you wanting. Get the good stuff if you can. Give your kid every advantage you can while they are getting started.

Reactions: b6graham
…And it's always a struggle to help the moa shooters because I don't recall the moa for a lot of the common distances like I do in mils.
I run matches and use a converter when my brain isn’t working for on-the-fly conversions. Here’s a very simple one:

Reactions: littlepod
My son and I started NRL22 back in Sept 2021 and are shooting at least 1 match a month. It’s addictive and a lot of fun. Best part is good quality time together.

I grabbed the 457 Pro Varmint put the Vortex DB Tac on it with a 25MOA rail. I’d recommend a 30-35MOA rail if you plan to shoot PRS matches and I’d also recommend the Venom over the DB Tac much less clutter on the reticle and it has an easier # system exposed if you go out past 200yd. After 3 months sharing the rifle I got him the T1x 20” same scope drilled a cheek riser on the stock and his shoots great too. We hang in the 55-60% of the shooters we compete with and take something home every match. We have fun doing something we both like and making good memories together with some of greatest 2A supporters we’ve met.

Just buy what you really want the first time and be done. There is no need to start in Base Class knowing you would eventually jump to a better rifle platform and optic.

Bergara BMR and what ever optic you like is a great rifle. Accessories to the factory stock do not count into the price either. adda 14" Arca rail to use quality accessories. Just jump in head first and get a RimX or Vudoo and be done.

If you were shooting a different COF or something like that Base might be a good option but you're not. Give yourself the best advantage you can possibly get with a quality rifle and optic to start with.