• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter Build!

I've been okay with it. I love shooting supressed, but I'm changing my setup for next year. I just feel that I lose too much information because of the recoil. It's not as bad on longer shots, but the closer stuff I sometimes don't see where I miss at. Next year will be a 25 Creedmoor shooting open heavy.
That’s kind of the consensus I’ve been getting. I’m currently building a light 6.5 PRC for hunting and then plan to take to a couple of matches. I’m definitely more focused on the hunting side so I figure it’ll do good enough for me to enjoy the matches and if I end wanting to get more serious I’ll build a heavy class rifle. I’ve heard great things about the 25 creed, that thing rips. Good luck next year!

That’s kind of the consensus I’ve been getting. I’m currently building a light 6.5 PRC for hunting and then plan to take to a couple of matches. I’m definitely more focused on the hunting side so I figure it’ll do good enough for me to enjoy the matches and if I end wanting to get more serious I’ll build a heavy class rifle. I’ve heard great things about the 25 creed, that thing rips. Good luck next year!
Yeah, with this being my first year of NRL Hunter, I wanted to try it out with what I had laying around. The rifle was my basic hunting rifle, just swapped from carbon barrel 7 SAUM to 6.5 PRC steel barrel. I did shoot the local 1 day Hunter match with my 7 SAUM last winter, and it was a blast. I was afraid of losing any ADG brass though, because that stuff is gold.

Yeah, with this being my first year of NRL Hunter, I wanted to try it out with what I had laying around. The rifle was my basic hunting rifle, just swapped from carbon barrel 7 SAUM to 6.5 PRC steel barrel. I did shoot the local 1 day Hunter match with my 7 SAUM last winter, and it was a blast. I was afraid of losing any ADG brass though, because that stuff is gold.
Yeah I don’t blame you, that’s the biggest reason why I’m going with the 6.5 PRC over a 7 or 6.5 SAUM, it’s impossible to get your hands on that brass. With last year being your first year, did you ever run in the skills division or did you just go for it? I’ve heard that if you’ve never done it before that you should run the skills division at least once to get a feel for it.

Here's the argument for 25cm, 135s at 2850 fps make powder factor, basically the lightest with highest bc. I've been running a 25cm(or two) since blackjack first released their bullets. To run the 25cm at psi levels that are water and crap condition safe, you need a 26" barrel. I still run the 25cm as well as a 65cm. 156/153 Berger and atips only need 2480fps for power factor. I run 153 hybrid in a 65cm prs rifle at 2630 and they, in my opinion, have slightly less recoil in an equal weight 25cm which I run 135s at 2860. The advantage is the slower heavier bullet is easier to see, in my opinion. Shot my first match with the heavy slow 65 last weekend, and my wind calls were all less by a tenth or two than the guys shooting gt and br variants. Finding 135hyb can be challenging at times, so if you go down this road, buy enough at once to burn your barrel out(and hope your barrel likes them). The same can be said about 153/156 Bergers, I did stock up on them in the last few months since they have been available. My load with 135s in a 28" 25cm is 42.2gr N555, the 153 26" 65cm load is 38.8gr. Both loads are water safe lower psi. The wind calls of these two is the same to 600-700y depending on conditions. Yes the 25 with it's velocity has a slight advantage past 700y. The problem, getting this advantage with the 25cm requires one bullet, the 133 Berger and 134 eldm don't have the bc of the 135 and reduce it's attractiveness. I'm a fan of both cartridges, however I think a 65cm has the advantage of easily making power factor with many good bullets from Berger Sierra Hornady and the Barnes 145 burner. Whatever your choice, get a twist rate faster than the norm for stability of these very heavy for caliber bullets.

Yeah I don’t blame you, that’s the biggest reason why I’m going with the 6.5 PRC over a 7 or 6.5 SAUM, it’s impossible to get your hands on that brass. With last year being your first year, did you ever run in the skills division or did you just go for it? I’ve heard that if you’ve never done it before that you should run the skills division at least once to get a feel for it.
I just jumped in both feet. However, I have shot some PRS and a lot of 3 gun over the years, so I'm not new to competition shooting. But I would agree that the skills division is a good way to get your feet wet. I'd also research matches you're planning on shooting. My first one was in Vernal, Utah and it was the hardest one that I shot all year. Had I not been signed up for other matches, I may have quit right there. Seth and Brian put on an amazing match in Idaho. Isiah Curtis has a great one in Missouri. Mike Lilly had a good but tough one in Oregon. I heard the one in Belt, MT was good and the one in Price, Utah. If you can find any of the Sig Hunter Games 1 day matches, those are a fantastic way to get your feet wet as well.

I just jumped in both feet. However, I have shot some PRS and a lot of 3 gun over the years, so I'm not new to competition shooting. But I would agree that the skills division is a good way to get your feet wet. I'd also research matches you're planning on shooting. My first one was in Vernal, Utah and it was the hardest one that I shot all year. Had I not been signed up for other matches, I may have quit right there. Seth and Brian put on an amazing match in Idaho. Isiah Curtis has a great one in Missouri. Mike Lilly had a good but tough one in Oregon. I heard the one in Belt, MT was good and the one in Price, Utah. If you can find any of the Sig Hunter Games 1 day matches, those are a fantastic way to get your feet wet as well.
Awesome, thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for the 2024 schedule and start doing some research on the matches when the time comes.

Here we go! I don’t know if I’ll make it to a match but the gun is built :)

Impact 737 w/ TriggerTech 2 Stage
6.5 Creedmoor Bartlein 24” CF w/ Area 419 Hellfire
Foundation Revelation w/ Rail
CKYE 2 Pull (but probably will have to go to make weight)
Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 in a Sphur 4002

She is at 15#-13oz

I’ll probably try to shot some 147 ELDM with some H4350 at about 2600ish
How do you like the Revelation?