• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL hunter caliber

vivdav

Private
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2017
    Rockport, TX
    Can anyone tell me what the most competitive caliber in NRL hunter series is used. Thinking about building a new gun that will work for Texas hunting as well. Thanks

If I had to guess I'd say 6.5 Creed. I have one being built for the wife and I going to shoot my 6.5 SST II.

I have a 25 creed that would make power factor. I just looked up the rules and had good luck with it for the 2020 season.

Getting hung up on caliber for NRL Hunter isn't necessary. Pick one and run it. With the target sizes and distances, one won't make you more successful than another. 6.5, 260, 7-08, 7 SAW, 25 creed, etc.
    I've seen 300 normas and 28 noslers at matches. Just remember, ties go to power factor.

I shot a 6.5 creed. Had to work up a load with 140s to make power factor

1624108237560.png

Lightest round that will make power. Seems to be 6.5 of some variety. The .25 versions are also pretty sweet if you can find bullets. But a 6.5 with 135 atip is pretty sweet.

Reactions: tob5
    I have been fairly successful shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua with a 140 RDF at 2740fps. One forth place and one win.

Getting hung up on caliber for NRL Hunter isn't necessary. Pick one and run it. With the target sizes and distances, one won't make you more successful than another. 6.5, 260, 7-08, 7 SAW, 25 creed, etc.
    I've seen 300 normas and 28 noslers at matches. Just remember, ties go to power factor.
    That 28 nosler hits.

I’d personally do up a 25 of some flavour. My current 25 creed just hammers!

Reactions: Jcbusaf
    I have the 25 creed being built as we speak. Will send pix when done. Manners stock, triggertech, S&B and Impact. Should be fun....and practical

Sounds awesome! You’ll love it. My 6 creed and 260 see very little use after my 25 was showed up. Originally terminus, tt, ks, vortex and krg but now in a manners as well

Got a 25sst in the works. I used a 6.5saum and my 6.5x47 in a few matches last year and both had their pros/cons

Is there a caliber restriction for heavy div? i have a 16 lbs rifle in 33xc… can that compete as well?

Is there a caliber restriction for heavy div? i have a 16 lbs rifle in 33xc… can that compete as well?
    Correction, .30 cal is the limit

The 3275 fps limit still applies

Last edited:
    Reactions: harry_x1
    Just recently shot a NRL event as a team. I used my 25 creed w/133 bergers and my buddy used a 6.5x47 shooting hornady 143s. We both shot suppressed, these are our hunting rifles.

Last edited:
    Reactions: harry_x1
    I couldn’t make PF with a 22” and 140 ELDMs. I did with a 24” and the 140s. If you bump to the 150 class bullets I had success with the shorter barrel.

I can’t make power factor either. 18” 6.5 creed in light division. So I just shoot factory 140eldm ammo. I would like to try loading up like the 153.5 bergers and see. I would have to get to 2,475 and that might be tough without running them pretty hot.

I couldn’t make PF with a 22” and 140 ELDMs. I did with a 24” and the 140s. If you bump to the 150 class bullets I had success with the shorter barrel.
    What brass or what was your load data?

With 140s you gotta be 2715. I was able to do with with Petersen brass but I was right on the edge of pressure.

Going out tomorrow to do a workout in hornady brass

Hornady brass. I did try the 145 Barnes mb but couldn’t get there. I don’t remember the numbers cause that was two years ago. The last two seasons I shot factory ammo. My hunting load which this is my actual hunting rifle also is 143eldx with 42.5G of h4350 and it’s only 2,650.

The first year I loaded 140s but that was in a heavy division rifle with more barrel length.

I’m building a 6.5CM. Waiting on my action to finish my build. 24” Proof CF barrel.

I have some 140 and 147 ELD-Ms I’m planning to try, and also have access to some Berger 144’s and 153s. H4350 is what I have the most of, but not adverse to trying something else if it’ll help me get the velocity I need.

What brass or what was your load data?

With 140s you gotta be 2715. I was able to do with with Petersen brass but I was right on the edge of pressure.

Going out tomorrow to do a workout in hornady brass
    Don’t remember 100% but it was Peterson brass with probably 41.5gn H4350. It was also out of a factory TC Compass II action/barrel lol. I was juuust on the edge, but never willing to take the risk of not making power so just shot Hornady factory 140.

I did shoot a match with 156’s at like 2500ish I think. Guy taking cards had to do a double take.

For the last 2 matches last year I switched guns completely and ran a 24” criterion barrel and was at a comfortable 2750 fps with 140s.

I’m building a 6.5CM. Waiting on my action to finish my build. 24” Proof CF barrel.

I have some 140 and 147 ELD-Ms I’m planning to try, and also have access to some Berger 144’s and 153s. H4350 is what I have the most of, but not adverse to trying something else if it’ll help me get the velocity I need.
    You shouldn’t have any issue with a 24” barrel.

Reactions: ECK
    Thankfully my rifle really likes the factory Hornady eldm ammo so not really giving up much.

You know Berger sells loaded rounds too?

Ya no point in those for me really. Only reason Im shooting factory ammo is it’s hard to make power factor with an 18” barrel. The Hornady actually shoots dam good in this rifle and the Berger factory is just more money for more the. Likely similar results. The 153.5 idea is just to see if I could make power factor reloading with them. If so my reloads would be better then factory in the sd/es department for sure over factory.

Higher BC, lower SDs, 10% more expensive

Hornady has always printed tight groups, reliably sub 0.5moa @ 100yds for me... but with absolute dogshit SD/ES. See photo - Laughed & quit chronoing after that. Took it out to 720yds & the velocity difference definitely showed

Attachments

• IMG_4836.jpeg
      IMG_4836.jpeg
      109.2 KB · Views: 61
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Simonsza1
    You'll see people comment on the felt recoil from a 153.5gr versus a 140gr... it's very real & IMO the 153.5gr is an improvement for spotting impacts.

I've got a boatload of SMKs, Match Burners, ELD-Ms, OTMs... it's possible I never shoot a match with anything but the 153.5 LRHT

The sd es is the one thing with factory ammo you just can’t get away from.

Reactions: R_A_W
    Very true.

With factory ammo, Berger has been more consistent (10-12fps SD) than Hornady (15+fps SD) for me. That said, @ 700yds the 50 ES I saw is only what, max 0.3mil difference? If Hornady is working for you & you're familiar w/ the ammo, it may not be worth a change... esp if you're not seeing the SD/ES I do. Just throwing something out there for you

Reactions: Simonsza1
    Also Hornady is $30 a box right now and just going off what you sent me Berger is $43 so pretty significant increase when your going trough 40 boxes for your nrl hunter season schedule.

Oh yeah, big difference. I’ve always overpaid I guess @ $38, give or take.

You'll see people comment on the felt recoil from a 153.5gr versus a 140gr... it's very real & IMO the 153.5gr is an improvement for spotting impacts.

I've got a boatload of SMKs, Match Burners, ELD-Ms, OTMs... it's possible I never shoot a match with anything but the 153.5 LRHT
    Is it really that noticeable? I was set on shooting 6creed for Mammoth challenge but just found out im also shooting NRL hunter. Not wanting to have to buy two barrels, I was thinking about just running 6.5 Creedmore for both. But didn't want to get rid of the flatness of the 6mm and the lower recoil. Seems likes this could help lower recoil for faster follow up shots?

No, it's not a massive difference and it's not really that the 153's are lower recoil, they just recoil slightly slower.* I can feel a difference and find I can control the 153.5's better in many positions. YMMV. Recoil won't really affect the speed of your follow up shots, but your ability to control recoil will absolutely affect your ability to spot hits/misses, which in turn will affect your ability to make a follow-up hit.

The real difference between 153.5's & any 140 is in the BC... .356 v. .321 g7 shows up downrange. I need that additional margin of error. If by "flatness" you just mean drop, that isn't an issue for conventional field matches. Gravity is remarkably consistent. What other .264 bullets/weights are you considering?

Also... I should have said "it's possible I never shoot another match with anything but the 153.5 LRHT." I've shot the OTMs, SMKs, GTXs, etc. in past matches

*will vary upon what velocity you're running each at, but my observations/comments are off my 140's loads that I run 100fps? faster than 153.5's to compensate for worse BCs

Reactions: tyrider427
    Is it really that noticeable? I was set on shooting 6creed for Mammoth challenge but just found out im also shooting NRL hunter. Not wanting to have to buy two barrels, I was thinking about just running 6.5 Creedmore for both. But didn't want to get rid of the flatness of the 6mm and the lower recoil. Seems likes this could help lower recoil for faster follow up shots?
    I think a 6.5 with a 144 is pretty “do all” and wouldn’t be giving up anything noticeable to a 6cm or a 6.5 with 153 or similar

Higher BC, lower SDs, 10% more expensive

Hornady has always printed tight groups, reliably sub 0.5moa @ 100yds for me... but with absolute dogshit SD/ES. See photo - Laughed & quit chronoing after that. Took it out to 720yds & the velocity difference definitely showed

I've shot Berger 6.5CM factory ammo that had worse ES/SD than that. I also got a lot of 300WM 215gr that the ES was almost 100fps. I've had my share of issues with Hornady factory ammo, but the Berger has been bad enough on multiple occasions that I won't buy it anymore.

I've had some Hornady lots that had 40-50fps ES but its usually 20-30 which I consider very good for factory ammo. Even the cheap american gunner is usually in the 30fps range and it can be had for a little over $1/rd.

Yeah, I'm probably being a little picky. Just used to getting sub-8 SDs w/ handloads w/out putting in too much effort

Had a friend show me his chrono from his 28 Nosler to show off velocity... 49 SD & I think 100 ES, I nearly shit a brick

No, it's not a massive difference and it's not really that the 153's are lower recoil, they just recoil slightly slower.* I can feel a difference and find I can control the 153.5's better in many positions. YMMV. Recoil won't really affect the speed of your follow up shots, but your ability to control recoil will absolutely affect your ability to spot hits/misses, which in turn will affect your ability to make a follow-up hit.

The real difference between 153.5's & any 140 is in the BC... .356 v. .321 g7 shows up downrange. I need that additional margin of error. If by "flatness" you just mean drop, that isn't an issue for conventional field matches. Gravity is remarkably consistent. What other .264 bullets/weights are you considering?

Also... I should have said "it's possible I never shoot another match with anything but the 153.5 LRHT." I've shot the OTMs, SMKs, GTXs, etc. in past matches

*will vary upon what velocity you're running each at, but my observations/comments are off my 140's loads that I run 100fps? faster than 153.5's to compensate for worse BC
    If Staying with 6.5 creed I was thinking of Shooting 130's for mammoth for a flater trajectory like the 6 creed with less recoil to spot impacts/misses.
    For NRL I was thinking of running either 143 eldx or 147's to meet power factory. I will have 24in proof barrel.

Last edited:
    If Staying with 6.5 creed I was thinking of Shooting 130's for mammoth for a flater trajectory like the 6 creed with less recoil to spot impacts/misses.
    For NRL I was thinking of running either 143 eldx or 147's to meet power factory. I will have 24in proof barrel.
    Also consider the 123gr Scenars.
    They have a pretty high BC considering the lighter weight and can shoot them a bit faster than 130s.

They used to be quite cheap too but Hornady 130s are probably cheaper these days (if that matters to you).

Also consider the 123gr Scenars.
    They have a pretty high BC considering the lighter weight and can shoot them a bit faster than 130s.

They used to be quite cheap too but Hornady 130s are probably cheaper these days (if that matters to you).
    It helps! This is my first comp. My current 6.5 creed, 22inch barrel likes Hornady eld 140 at 2650 avg, with .6 moa. SD are around 19-24. I've tried federal, sig, hornady( ssg, eld, blacks, eldx), blackhills, and unknown munitions. The Unknown Munitions 140s are fast and would make power factor at 2740avg, but they group poorly in my barrel, 1.5 moa.

might try the bergers.

Think I might just run factory ammo for nrl hunter and not worry about power factor with my current 22inch barrel in 6.5 creed. It makes weight under 12lbs for open light. Imsteading of ordering another barrel but in 24 inch.
    then swamp out my barrel for the proof carbon 6mm creed for the mammoth challenge to shave weight...

Am I thinking about the right way?