• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events NRL Hunter series

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
Just opening a conversation on questions and interest in the NRL Hunter series. I am excited about a blind match engagement on cool terrain.

Last edited:
We shall see. Hopefully the we get to see some AARs for the matches early in the year

I signed up planning the shoot heavy open with 6.5x47. I think it will be a nice change in format to more field style and require different skills and time management than typical matches. Not that I’ve mastered regular NRL/PRS matches by any means. Shot the NRL match in Nebraska last year that Chaz put on and was a great location, cold and muddy but fun overall. Hopefully this year mud will still be frozen!

NRLhunter.org
FIFY

Is this new this year? I was looking fro some videos from old matches and didn't come across any. If its what I envision it would be sweet, love to see some footage if there is any out there. Looked at the site but the info is pretty limited? Are these a hike 3 miles match or?

FIFY

Is this new this year? I was looking fro some videos from old matches and didn't come across any. If its what I envision it would be sweet, love to see some footage if there is any out there. Looked at the site but the info is pretty limited? Are these a hike 3 miles match or?
Look up the Hornady Precision Hunter Challenge. The new NRL Hunter matches are modeled after it. Heres one link to get ya started

FIFY

Effectively it is designed to be 18-22 blind stages with limited target engagement. Each stage is 8 pts max, with first round impacts worth 2 pts, and second round worth 1. Each match will be setup differently, but you will have 4 minutes to find and engage 1-4 targets from whatever positions you want. If it's 1 target, it is 4 positions, 2 targets - 2 position, 4 target - 1 position. All targets are kill zone sized and roughly fixed size. So 12"-16"targets (depending on animal kilzone)from 200-1000 yards. Trying to help people understand and work on their equipment they use to hunt with. You may end up walking a couple miles, depending on the match.

FIFY

best video I could find. All blind stages and you gotta move to view your targets.

At first I was intrigued. Thinking it would open up the field to people who wouldn't normaly shoot a match but wanted to take a swing at it. Had some buddies that arnt match shooters that thought it could be fun.

Then I saw its a 2 day match with a high round count in a time where you can't buy ammo.and a $200 plus entry fee. If your targeting "hunters" deer,coyote, elk, what ever the round count is probably more rounds than they have ever put through their rifle, not just in a day. Asking your average hunter to give up 2+ days of their life to come try a match "based off hunting conditions" seems like a stretch.

Looks like a new series for the same people to shoot. Dosnt seem too geared toward new shooters. Now I think it sounds like a GREAT time and I wish I had bullets and time to shoot it. If it was simaler to the one day boarder wars series that seems like a better option for new shooters. But I understand that the amount of time and effort put into a match by match directors. So a one day shoot with 80% new shooters sounds like a head ache and even could be seen as a liability. Maybe some how pair an experienced shooter with a squad of new shooters? Or have the RO travel with each squad almost as a coach from stage to stage?

I have basicaly no experience shooting matched and am new to all of this so my .2 isn't worth anything. When I first head about it I was excited till I learned more about it.

Hope it works. Hope it is awesome. Hope I get to try it someday. But seems like just another match series more than a way to get more people into the sport.

@hukset402 I'm pretty new to shooting competitions too and I see where you are coming from. I would just say that if you aren't looking to be competitive and just want to practice shooting in field conditions, you only really need 80 rounds. Its not a huge ammo commitment. Hunters, as often as they are portrayed as "blue collar" or "middle class" often aren't. They come up with plenty of money for leases, out of state tags, feeders, stands, quads, food plots, new guns and scopes every year to show off in camp, etc etc. I think your average joe can make it happen if he really wants to.

The first match of the year is 275 dollars. That includes 4 hours of instruction, 2 meals, and what appears to be 18 unique shooting stages in a format I don't see being implemented anywhere else.

Factory division also appears to have first shot at prizes and have greater flexibility in ammo choice. So theoretically, you show up with your factory Tikka and shoot well, you get prizes before folks with gucci gamer guns. But the prizes are just the extra gravy.

There is a lot of value here, in my mind, for guys or gals who aren't super competitors but who want to have a good time sharpening up functional shooting skills in an environment other than your local 100 yard square range.

Edit: taking a day off is a big deal though. I get that

I agree with all that. I only mentioned the ammo cause I can't even find a box of 20 rounds let alone 80 lol

I see the value in the price of the forst match. And with it laid out like that 275 isn't a bad deal for what you get. I wish I could do it cause it sounds awesome but its hard for me to get 1 day off let alone 2. I get not all are in my boat though. I hope people do it and enjoy it and it grows. Maybe I'll be able to catch one next year.

As a last resort, gunbroker pretty much always has ammo, just at inflated prices. If you really want to shoot but can't take Friday off, you could contact the NRLH and try to opt out of the Friday train-up and see about signing in without being there in person. They seem to be doing their best to accomodate folks. The stages are all on Saturday and Sunday so thats only a two day weekend commitment.

That being said, there'll always be another one!

No doubt the director would be willing to help me out. Can't afford (nor do I want to) the inflated prices. As you said. Always be another haha. I may go and spectate on Sunday.

No doubt the director would be willing to help me out. Can't afford (nor do I want to) the inflated prices. As you said. Always be another haha. I may go and spectate on Sunday.
I have seen where many of these matches will let RO's shoot the course of fire on friday in exchange for helping out with the match. Could be another way to get your feet wet, but its much like a crack dealer in that the first hit is always free

At first I was intrigued. Thinking it would open up the field to people who wouldn't normaly shoot a match but wanted to take a swing at it. Had some buddies that arnt match shooters that thought it could be fun.

Then I saw its a 2 day match with a high round count in a time where you can't buy ammo.and a $200 plus entry fee. If your targeting "hunters" deer,coyote, elk, what ever the round count is probably more rounds than they have ever put through their rifle, not just in a day. Asking your average hunter to give up 2+ days of their life to come try a match "based off hunting conditions" seems like a stretch.

Looks like a new series for the same people to shoot. Dosnt seem too geared toward new shooters. Now I think it sounds like a GREAT time and I wish I had bullets and time to shoot it. If it was simaler to the one day boarder wars series that seems like a better option for new shooters. But I understand that the amount of time and effort put into a match by match directors. So a one day shoot with 80% new shooters sounds like a head ache and even could be seen as a liability. Maybe some how pair an experienced shooter with a squad of new shooters? Or have the RO travel with each squad almost as a coach from stage to stage?

I have basicaly no experience shooting matched and am new to all of this so my .2 isn't worth anything. When I first head about it I was excited till I learned more about it.

Hope it works. Hope it is awesome. Hope I get to try it someday. But seems like just another match series more than a way to get more people into the sport.
I can appreciate your POV but this is what I would say. Round count is actually relatively low. 160 rounds in 2 days is not a lot. If a “hunter” has never put that many rounds down range in a year with his rifle, he’s more a danger than a hunter. That’s a fast way to wound animals and take shots you have no business taking. Period.
As far as ammo during these times, yes it’s hard to find, but if you’ve got it, you’ll learn way more putting 160 rounds down range during one of these matches than you ever will at the range on your own or with buddies.
In regards to making it more boarder wars style, the problem is unlike boarder wars, all the stages here are blind which takes significantly more work vs a regular match than can be held at a public range with limited setup time. In the end it wouldn’t be worth the effort for a 1 day match. And if the round count was only say 80-100 rounds over 2 days I think you’d find a lot of people wouldn’t even view it worth the travel for that little. I certainly wouldn’t go to Montana for a 2 day 80 round match.
MDs are always willing to accommodate new shooters, but being that all the stages are blind, putting you with an experienced squad wouldn’t help much. They can’t help you on the clock and none of you can see the stage beforehand anyway. This is awesome training to be able to think quick and on your own so when you’re out in the field you have that ability and knowledge. As far as the RO following you around, that’s not fair to the RO or squads because not every RO is experienced in shooting matches. For some, they’ve never even shot a match. And again, all stages are blind and no coaching on the clock is allowed in general so I guess it’s a moot point anyway.
I would encourage you and your buddies to come out. If they think it might be fun from just what they hear/read then I’m sure they’ll love it when they actually come out. The part that makes it appealing to new shooters is, longer stage times, having to find/range/engage targets, and the 1 hit elimination rule.
Now, are these matches for Joe blow, minute of deer 300WM, I shoot my rifle once a year to check zero, get off my lawn, type of guys? No not really. but I’d also say neither is hunting.
For those that actually want to improve their hunting skills, this is one of the best ways to do it.

Hey, come on now. I don't want any one on my lawn, but I enjoyed the hell out of the hornady hunter match.

Reactions: Forward543
All great points. I'm gonna try and check it out on the Sunday if I can get away for a bit. Would ask to RO but I can't get the Saturday off work.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
All great points. I'm gonna try and check it out on the Sunday if I can get away for a bit. Would ask to RO but I can't get the Saturday off work.
If you can make a match out even just to watch can also be super helpful is seeing what you might be in for. Trust me tho, shooting it is next level fun.

I've RO'd one match and shot one. Lots of fun. With further explanation and diffrent points the hunter matches sounds even more fun. Should have more free time next year so ill for sure try to shoot one.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
For those that actually want to improve their hunting skills, this is one of the best ways to do it.
I haven't been to one of these matches.
I did watch the video as linked above.
It doesn't appear to me that these matches will do anything to improve ones skill at hunting other than some target practice.
No glassing and looking over the best way to get into a shooting situation on game.
Zero stalking.
Just shooting at some targets from various angles and positions. Not really any different.

I don't think a lot of average hunters shoot their rifle 200 times in half a decade...

Its for people who like matches, but aren't into the gaming as far as I see it.

Ammo is a massive concern this year, as is a barrel for me.

I haven't been to one of these matches.
I did watch the video as linked above.
It doesn't appear to me that these matches will do anything to improve ones skill at hunting other than some target practice.
No glassing and looking over the best way to get into a shooting situation on game.
Zero stalking.
Just shooting at some targets from various angles and positions. Not really any different.
You’ve got to find and range the targets so that would help people practice glassing, etc. And you decide how to build the support, so that would also help. Use your bipod, tripod, pack, shoe, whatever you wana use to engage the target from the position given. Not all hunters stalk.

Reactions: STex
You’ve got to find and range the targets so that would help people practice glassing, etc. And you decide how to build the support, so that would also help. Use your bipod, tripod, pack, shoe, whatever you wana use to engage the target from the position given. Not all hunters stalk.
The larger percentage of shooters don't even hunt, let alone stalk.
I still don't see how these sort of matches would help anyone improve hunting skill Atall.
Sure, maybe help shooting skills...FAR different from HUNTING skills.

I still don't see how these sort of matches would help anyone improve hunting skill Atall.
What would you like to see at matches that would improve hunting skills?

Are finding and ranging targets not hunting skills? You can’t recreate real hunting scenarios with animals bedded down, or moving, or running, or picking up your scent and running away, or hearing you creep close as you try to stalk. This is so far as close as people have come as far as I know. This is to both attract serious hunters to get better and test their skills in a new format. And also help those of us that do hunt put some of our gear and skills into more practice and more reps.

You are right. It won't help you stalk a deer, control scent, be quiet, move slowly, see the flick of a coues ear in the shadow of an ocotillo, call an elk, skin and quarter a bison, shoot at a running deer at 75 yards, learn to sit in a tree stand all day in the cold and pee in a bottle.

I will say that fast ranging, target acquisition, position building, clean shooting, shot spotting, wind calling, etc. is FAR better training and the best testing of hunting shooting skills than the vast majority of "hunters" get on a square range.

Its a shooting match that more closely tests shooting skills needed in hunting than anything but hunting shots itself.

I am a FAR better shot than any of my immediate hunting acquaintances because I have done local PRS and a couple 2 day matches. And, I am just a middle of the road match performer. But, when it comes to the one high pressure shot hunting, I have the skills and confidence because of matches. My buddies spot game and hunt better, but I kill better and they know it so they come to me to help assemble and set up rifle systems and shooting skills, even though I am no expert. I go to matches to learn from others and practice cause I am looking to have a good time while I compete and test myself.

i plan on shooting the one in Nehawka, NE in feb. I'll b shooting in the open 16lb class. The thing about this series is no pop guns allowed. They go by a power factor of 380,000 which is the bullet x muzzle velocity. Nothing in 6mm will will work. While i've hunted for years with my 243 and love it, i know it's limitations. It's not reaching out 1000 yds for a clean kill most likely. The run a 4 minute time limit. That means gun in hand. If u have a bipod, it's in ur pack or slung. Your on the clock to unslinging, setup , glass and shoot up to 8 rnds. I read yesterday the bobcat target is 10"x6". Most targets will b in the 400-800 range, with a few closer and farther. If u run the factory class it's just that, "factory" 12lbs and under with absolutely no modifications to the rifle, that means trigger and all. Only thing u can add is a bipod if it has the attachment from the factory already on it. Of course u can add the scope. I think this series is going to have some appeal that the other series doesn't offer and that's a good thing if we can get more involved in the sport. 16lbs adds up quickly, i built a 6.5 creedmoor using a JAE chassis, replace my Bartlein barrel with a Proof research carbon wrapped barrel, atlas bipod, and had to replace my NF with my Kahles to make weight. Amazing what saves a few ounces.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 66
@jinxx4ever I'm in the same boat of trying to shave weight everywhere I can. I signed up for Open Light and I think I may just barely squeak in under the weight limit

Reactions: jinxx4ever
NRLH is what we need in 2021+ Less ammo to burn, more time per stage, locating/ranging skills not used in PRS. Can't wait for reports on the 1st match.
i plan on shooting the one in Nehawka, NE in feb. I'll b shooting in the open 16lb class. The thing about this series is no pop guns allowed. They go by a power factor of 380,000 which is the bullet x muzzle velocity. Nothing in 6mm will will work. While i've hunted for years with my 243 and love it, i know it's limitations. It's not reaching out 1000 yds for a clean kill most likely. The run a 4 minute time limit. That means gun in hand. If u have a bipod, it's in ur pack or slung. Your on the clock to unslinging, setup , glass and shoot up to 8 rnds. I read yesterday the bobcat target is 10"x6". Most targets will b in the 400-800 range, with a few closer and farther. If u run the factory class it's just that, "factory" 12lbs and under with absolutely no modifications to the rifle, that means trigger and all. Only thing u can add is a bipod if it has the attachment from the factory already on it. Of course u can add the scope. I think this series is going to have some appeal that the other series doesn't offer and that's a good thing if we can get more involved in the sport. 16lbs adds up quickly, i built a 6.5 creedmoor using a JAE chassis, replace my Bartlein barrel with a Proof research carbon wrapped barrel, atlas bipod, and had to replace my NF with my Kahles to make weight. Amazing what saves a few ounces.
Please report back after the match, good luck!
Ours is in June, and wicked excited about it.

NRLH is what we need in 2021+ Less ammo to burn, more time per stage, locating/ranging skills not used in PRS. Can't wait for reports on the 1st match.

Please report back after the match, good luck!
Ours is in June, and wicked excited about it.
will do, depending on a few things, might b fun to go down to the march match in NM, sounds like they put on quite the shingdig at that one.

Reactions: StrayDog
Anyone going to Nebraska?
I plan on being there (it's 45 minutes from me) but whether I will be able to shoot it or just come spectate for a little while has yet to be decided. Ammo has been an issue for me, unless I skip shooting my 6.5CM and just shoot my 6ARC (this obviously would eliminate me from actually competing, but I could at least shoot the match).

This match does not practice all of the skills involved with hunting. It gets quality repitions on shot scenarios that no one ever gets to practice. If you want to practice hiking, you do not need a match. If you would like to work on alot of repitions of shots and position building, with simulated pressure (time) shoot a match.

As far as cost and round count. Each stage can be completed in 4 shots. That's pretty low on ammo. You cannot run this series as a one day because of the time input and range restrictions. Finding a safe place to hold these matches and keep a blind cof is difficult.

If you have no desire to shoot past 200 yards, then you will likely be fine building half ass positions that are not practiced. I have seen too many hunting shows with experienced riflemen taking shots that they should not be taking and wounding animals that then have to be tracked and sometimes lost. If we can improve our game recovery skill, because they are dead, how is that not going to massively improve our ability to hunt. I think the reward for the participants will far outweigh the $275 match fee, $200 in ammo and travel time.

will do, depending on a few things, might b fun to go down to the march match in NM, sounds like they put on quite the shingdig at that one.

I have been to two of Dusty's matches in NM. Great venue and well run. I plan on going to his first NRLH.

Reactions: metal2meat
This match does not practice all of the skills involved with hunting. It gets quality repitions on shot scenarios that no one ever gets to practice. If you want to practice hiking, you do not need a match. If you would like to work on alot of repitions of shots and position building, with simulated pressure (time) shoot a match.

As far as cost and round count. Each stage can be completed in 4 shots. That's pretty low on ammo. You cannot run this series as a one day because of the time input and range restrictions. Finding a safe place to hold these matches and keep a blind cof is difficult.

If you have no desire to shoot past 200 yards, then you will likely be fine building half ass positions that are not practiced. I have seen too many hunting shows with experienced riflemen taking shots that they should not be taking and wounding animals that then have to be tracked and sometimes lost. If we can improve our game recovery skill, because they are dead, how is that not going to massively improve our ability to hunt. I think the reward for the participants will far outweigh the $275 match fee, $200 in ammo and travel time.

Amen.

And, the people, competition, and adventure of it makes for an enjoyable weekend.

Its not free, but I can think of a lot of weekend vacations that cost more money. Hunts certainly do.

For poors and cheapskates like me, my favorite solo shooting activity is to go hiking with my gear as if hunting, and practice 10 or 20 shots on rocks I spot along the way. I will often glass along the way in and then shoot on the way out. Its exactly like many hunting trips except I have no tag and shoot rocks that don't bleed.

The matches amp that up with time and competition pressure.

What would you like to see at matches that would improve hunting skills?
Spot the target. Move nearly silently to a position downwind while remaining concealed to within 300 yards. One shot in kill zone.

I am a FAR better shot than any of my immediate hunting acquaintances because I have done local PRS and a couple 2 day matches. And, I am just a middle of the road match performer. But, when it comes to the one high pressure shot hunting, I have the skills and confidence because of matches. My buddies spot game and hunt better, but I kill better and they know it so they come to me to help assemble and set up rifle systems and shooting skills, even though I am no expert. I go to matches to learn from others and practice cause I am looking to have a good time while I compete and test myself.
EXACTLY. Same as PRS without the additional range costs and labor of man-made barricades.

Spot the target. Move nearly silently to a position downwind while remaining concealed to within 300 yards. One shot in kill zone.
Can you be a match director and implement this. How would you score staying downind, stalking without being seen by steel target, does spotter stand near target and try to spot the shooter?

Reactions: ballison
Haha I could run that one. Y'all just come on down to Georgia. We'll head up to the Chattahoochee NF and whoever shoots the most coyotes can have a Cabela's gift card. You can sneak and shoot for as many or as few days as you like. Match fee is 100 bucks (price of a non resident license) and rounds count is unlimited!

Hit the pig targets for bonus points!

EXACTLY. Same as PRS without the additional range costs and labor of man-made barricades.
Can you run this match? 160 shooters. Would be an interesting idea to shoot, a stalk match. How would you keep people separated? Do you only do one engagement, or have multiple. If multiple you will need thousands of acres. If this is just an attempt to build less barricades, which I assure you is not a hard task, why is there not 1 day match series set up this way?

Reactions: Aftermath
Lol your ignorance is laughable. Coming from someone who’s never shot one of these matches you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. My guess is if you even shoot matches at all you don’t do well and complain about everything.

Always amazes me , the folks that want to criticize something that hasn't even been held yet which means they haven't even been to one

Reactions: ballison
You are right on one point, it is a shooting sport, not a hunting sport. But, no one claims it will help you sneak up on game.

It's like criticizing boxing because it isn't real fighting and doesn't teach you how to stab someone to death.

I wonder how many people would attend your hypothetical sneak and shoot match. If you are in Arizona any time, I'll pay you a $250.00 match fee to let me sneak around and shoot at targets all day while you try to spot me. To be fair, I don't know how that would work because you'd have to be sitting really close to the target to know whether I broke concealment. Kinda sounds like sniper qualification or something, but I don't know a single thing except what I saw in movies, lol.

You are right on one point, it is a shooting sport, not a hunting sport. But, no one claims it will help you sneak up on game.

It's like criticizing boxing because it isn't real fighting and doesn't teach you how to stab someone to death.

I wonder how many people would attend your hypothetical sneak and shoot match. If you are in Arizona any time, I'll pay you a $250.00 match fee to let me sneak around and shoot at targets all day while you try to spot me. To be fair, I don't know how that would work because you'd have to be sitting really close to the target to know whether I broke concealment. Kinda sounds like sniper qualification or something, but I don't know a single thing except what I saw in movies, lol.
If it is a shooting match, not a hunting thang, why call it a hunting thang?
One very rudimentary search resulted in this first hit: http://floridafirearmstraining.com/Hog_Hunting_School_-_FFT.php

Last edited:
Can you run this match? 160 shooters. Would be an interesting idea to shoot, a stalk match. How would you keep people separated? Do you only do one engagement, or have multiple. If multiple you will need thousands of acres. If this is just an attempt to build less barricades, which I assure you is not a hard task, why is there not 1 day match series set up this way?

Haha I could run that one. Y'all just come on down to Georgia. We'll head up to the Chattahoochee NF and whoever shoots the most coyotes can have a Cabela's gift card. You can sneak and shoot for as many or as few days as you like. Match fee is 100 bucks (price of a non resident license) and rounds count is unlimited!

Hit the pig targets for bonus points!
EXACTLYYYYYYY