• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22/PRS22 chassis/stock recommendations for B14R

Purchased a second mag with extension plate for the 12 round stages.
Put 5 layers of painters tape on the front face of the magazine and black markered it. Now it fits like a glove, and no matter how I put pressure on the magazine, it cycled the snap caps 100%.
A cheap and potentially helpful mod for positional shooting.
I'll let you know how it works under the stress of time and friendly competition.
YMMV, happy shooting
IMG_20230517_214225.jpg

Reactions: bnaples
First 60 shots to break in with Aguila Rifle Match and Tac22 (Shoot n See target) at 50 yds.

Some sample groups at 50 yds and my first fly! Then shot the Center-X two 5 shot groups under 1/4”, no need to go any further at 50yds. The bonus was that the Eley Target shot very well (after the fouling shots).

Swirling winds at 100 yd, so not worth playing with the tuner today but the last group with Lapua Center X put 3 into 1 hole.

Shot about 225 rounds total for break in. One case didn’t spit out but I purposely pulled the bolt back slow. The ghetto tape job on the front of the mag worked 100%. No cold bore shift.

Bottom line, I love the B14r and MPA Hybrid. It’s very stable, much easier to shoot compared to my base class rifle and shoots a variety of ammo well.
I think I’m going to like moving up to open class.

YMMV, happy shooting.
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

Last edited:
Swirling tail winds but I think that the Center X wins at both 50 and 100 yds.
I think it will do fine for NRL22/PRS22, but may improve a bit more with tuning.
Thanks for following along, YMMV and happy shooting
image.jpg
image.jpg

Additional testing and observations:
IMG_2857.jpeg

1. The spigot mount is interesting. It provides a geometric advantage by placing the bipod further ahead and closer to the bore axis but there is definitely flex in the system. It likes a very light cheek weld, otherwise my heart beat is transmitted and induced a bobble. Solution was to move the bipod to the chassis arca rail. Much more solid purchase and no heart beat bobble.

2. After bolt disassembly and cleaning, the bolt lift and chambering is much smoother with less effort. The bolt now runs very smooth and it tries to partially feed a round from the magazine if the rifle is not held level during position changes. Possible solution: I’ve attached a rubber band from the base of the bolt knob to the front post of the cheek riser. I’ll have to check its function while practicing on props.

3. Cherry picked group, but with the right winds, good lot of ammo, and a lot of luck, I was pleased to see this 5 round group at 100y.
IMG_2859.jpeg

YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: stevieb92
Additional testing and observations:
View attachment 8154875
1. The spigot mount is interesting. It provides a geometric advantage by placing the bipod further ahead and closer to the bore axis but there is definitely flex in the system. It likes a very light cheek weld, otherwise my heart beat is transmitted and induced a bobble. Solution was to move the bipod to the chassis arca rail. Much more solid purchase and no heart beat bobble.

2. After bolt disassembly and cleaning, the bolt lift and chambering is much smoother with less effort. The bolt now runs very smooth and it tries to partially feed a round from the magazine if the rifle is not held level during position changes. Possible solution: I’ve attached a rubber band from the base of the bolt knob to the front post of the cheek riser. I’ll have to check its function while practicing on props.

3. Cherry picked group, but with the right winds, good lot of ammo, and a lot of luck, I was pleased to see this 5 round group at 100y.
View attachment 8154874
YMMV, happy shooting.

Nice shooting and beautiful rifle! I've had several MPA BA Comp chassis over the years and noticed flex in the system when shooting on a bipod mounted to their spigot mount. I narrowed it down to the aluminum spigot mount. Then I found out they have a steel version of the spigot. I've upgraded all my aluminum spigots to the steel version and then when I recently switched to the MPA Matrix Pro chassis it came from the factory with the steel version so I've got one steel looking for a home. If yours is aluminum, I highly recommend the steel version of the spigot mount.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Yes, my spigot is aluminum. The steel version not only will increase rigidity but also balance the rifle with my stock Bergara steel barrel.
Cheers,

Yes, my spigot is aluminum. The steel version not only will increase rigidity but also balance the rifle with my stock Bergara steel barrel.
Cheers,

Exactly. In general, the modulus of elasticity for steel is nearly 3X greater than aluminum. The weight increase is nice to help with the balance, but it isn't enough to completely balance the rifle.

Attachments

• 92D7E0A0-9C15-4C8B-BEFE-740ECF864898.jpeg
    92D7E0A0-9C15-4C8B-BEFE-740ECF864898.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 125CABE5-82D6-44C7-ADF1-D090FEBC927E.jpeg
    125CABE5-82D6-44C7-ADF1-D090FEBC927E.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7F0D5131-0F47-4892-929C-F3CBEA764161.jpeg
    7F0D5131-0F47-4892-929C-F3CBEA764161.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 90AEB1C3-881C-4AC0-891E-E8C04ACECA03.jpeg
    90AEB1C3-881C-4AC0-891E-E8C04ACECA03.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: BisSilent
Followed tuning advice here:

Got results at 50, then tested out at 100.
1 1/3 turns did the trick. Turning it by 2 ticks would have cost me at least a full box, but with this I had it dialed in after 12 rounds.
50 yr groups in the .2s and 5 shot groups x3 at 100 averaged .693" (.667 MOA)
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Thanks for following along. YMMV, happy shooting.
- Edited to correct average group size

Last edited:
PRS22 needs to start adding an off-hand shooting stage to matches going forward or its going to keep getting more and more ridiculous. 20+ lb 22LRs is pretty crazy for a sport that purports to resemble real life shooting.

Reactions: obx22
I agree, bring back some basic fundamentals of shooting. Standing offhand, kneeling/sitting, and prone with or without a sling. By standing offhand I don't mean "rice paddy squat".

Mike

Reactions: obx22
Dropped mine in an MPA chassis I picked up this weekend. Going to see how it runs if I ever get some time off work.

Attachments

• 67689021-E901-40F0-BAC3-1FC02EA9FF1C.jpeg
    67689021-E901-40F0-BAC3-1FC02EA9FF1C.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 56
I've tried the xrs and xylo and both work well with the b14r.

Mdt xrs with the enclosed forend is pretty easy to balance (internal weight set forward and one set of external for me) and works well with bergara mags.

Xylo takes more weight to balance and I had to trim the mag catch a little.

I have mine in an MPA, balances and feeds just fine. The factory stock wasn't bad either, just added an Arca rail to it. I just got a good deal on the MPA and it matches my centerfire rifle.
Same here. No feeding issues in the MPA chassis and none out of the factory stock. I too only added an arca rail to the stock. Got a decent deal on the MPA with weight kit.

Feeds and function is perfect in the MPA. Balance is good and the adjustability makes it fit me better than the factory stock.

Same here. No feeding issues in the MPA chassis and none out of the factory stock. I too only added an arca rail to the stock. Got a decent deal on the MPA with weight kit.

I can't put any pressure on the mag or it won't feed well, but that's easy to remedy.

I can't put any pressure on the mag or it won't feed well, but that's easy to remedy.
My mags have some slop in them so I tightened the set screws in the mag well and it didn’t help and caused issues. So slop it is. As long as things work, the slop doesn’t bother me. I don’t ever rest the gun on the mag anyway so matches haven’t been an issue.

My mags have some slop in them so I tightened the set screws in the mag well and it didn’t help and caused issues. So slop it is. As long as things work, the slop doesn’t bother me. I don’t ever rest the gun on the mag anyway so matches haven’t been an issue.
I used painters tape on the front edge of the magazine to virtually eliminate the slop. Zero feed or eject issues during a PRS22 match last weekend.
Aluminum tape in the front edge of the mag well may be an option as well.
YMMV, happy shooting