• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 Rimfire setup on a budget

uilim

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2020
I am wanting to dip my toe into Rimfire rifle as in NRL22 kind of stuff.
So List rifle, scope mount, scope and bipod. Try to keep under $700 as a budget
This is only for me to get an idea of what to look at. (If you want to say how I need to spend more dont)

Tikka with an Athlon optic.

I've yet to see anyone finish under a $700 budget, and you said try. Just being realistic.

Athlon is probably the best current low priced optic option, just like the Tikka is for rifles..... Depending on your performance expectations.

Lot testing ammo is one of the biggest expenses in getting any rimfire to shoot consistent groups. Once you find a good lot be prepared to buy two cases which buy itself will be double your initial budget if you're lucky. Look at the big picture, not the initial outlay when establishing your budget.

I do understand about ammo and all. But basic rifle caps msrp of $350 for the Rifle.

I do understand about ammo and all. But basic rifle caps msrp of $350 for the Rifle.
You're asking on the wrong forum, I'd suggest Rimfire Central to meet your budget objectives.

Reactions: RS14
Doug @CameraLandNY has a bushnell nitro 2.5-10x44 optic for $200 and warne rings for $50. That might be a decent start.

ETA: He also carries Athlon optics. He is a site supporter as well. Give them a call, they have been very helpful to me in the past.

Last edited:
I'd look at a cz455 or 457. The 455s are pretty cheap now. You can buy a basic rifle and upgrade things later. I run a 455 precision trainer which is in a manners stock. I also shoot a tikka t1x every weekend. The t1x is very fussy on what ammo it will feed from the mag. The cz will feed anything I even shoot shorts through it no worries

Reactions: SandFam3
Savage MKii FV-SR $200
Screenshot_20200613-235730_Samsung Internet.jpg

Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 $300
Screenshot_20200613-235634_Samsung Internet.jpg

DIP 25 moa rail $40
Screenshot_20200613-235845_Samsung Internet.jpg

Weaver Tactical 6 screw 30mm rings $40
Screenshot_20200613-235612_Samsung Internet.jpg

Total $540

Yep how about the B22FV-SR as I don't like the mags on the MKII. I had one and that was a point of yuck to me.

Yep how about the B22FV-SR as I don't like the mags on the MKII. I had one and that was a point of yuck to me.
That would be your call. I have the exact setup I priced for you and it is a real shooter. The only difference is I have mine in a Boyd's At-One stock.

Reactions: uilim
River 10/22 and SWFA 10x. And you’ll have money left for a bipod and nice stock.

I'll start off with saying sorry if you aren't new to competitive shooting, some of my comments may be too basic for you.

Do you have a 22 of any kind? Maybe you know someone to borrow one from? Many match directors can help get you a little trigger time at a match if you just ask nicely. Are you looking to just try it once or are you wanting a rifle to use for a season or so? The big risk, in my opinion, is that a lot of the budget option rifles tend to be a bit hit of miss on accuracy. For every guy that posts 1/2 moa groups at 100yds with his CZ45x or RPR, there are many that struggle to achieve 2moa ever. I would keep that in mind and maybe look at used?

I placed mid-pack (combined base and open classes) in my first match using a Ruger American Rimfire and $3 a box aguila ammo. Full disclosure, I used the only scope I had lying around, an Athlon Ares BTR. I do not feel the scope had some magical power to make the rifle or me shoot better. Oh, and the only bag I used was a $10 midway rear squeeze bag. I think the American is right around $300, leaving plenty for a scope and rings like the Argos mentioned above. So, yeah, there are several ways to get to your goal of $700. you can usually save a lot of money by going with a second focal plane scope. I would not have felt disadvantaged with a sfp, you just have to be more diligent with your holdovers if you change magnification.

I think most that will agree that it is more important to know your rifle/dope and learn to shoot in positions. This will make or break more than a rifle/ammo combination. I went 9/10 on one stage only to go 1/10 on the unsupported stage. With that said, after my first match I gave my daughter back her American and bought a Bergara B14R.

Also, there is a rimfire forum here that might be better for your questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS14
I bought a new Tikka T1x $425, area 419 rail $60, vortex pro rings $50, and a tract 22 fire scope $180. So, right in the $700 ballpark. It shoots great and the scope is impressive for the price. I know Athlon gets alot of praise, but I wasn't impressed with the 3 I have owned. I would buy the tract again.

By the way, I also have a vudoo. This tikka setup will compete with the vudoo out to 50 yards. Past that, it's all vudoo.

It's hard to beat the CZ rifles for performance out of the box.
I've run a Savage MkII for our local 22 precision matches. I've topped it with a cheap Super Sniper/SWFA scope with a decent reticle- bought off of their Samples List here. https://www.samplelist.com/
I found that the biggest factor in .22 precision shooting on a budget is finding out which ammo Is most accurate out of your rifle.
Eley,SK and Wolf match can really pull a group in tight. It turns out that my MkII does really, really well with CCI mini mags that have been sprayed with Trader Joe's Coconut Oil cooking spray. Yes.... If you run a Savage, read that last line again.
During the last .22 ammo shortage we experimented with a bunch of ammo treatments to try and match the high high, big $$ amo that was scarce. most of the Eley SK and Wolf come with a silicone lube on the bullet.

I absolutely hate the savage mags. I've taken lots of time to tweak each one and wrap it in medical cling wrap. This has helped a lot.
My next .22 "precision" rifle will be a CZ and will likely cost 2x what what I paid for the savage

You can watch the PX and pick up all you need for your price range and still be under the $1050 MSRP limit. A stock Tikka T1X should be 400 +/- and you should be able to find an Argos +/- 300... so somewhere 650-700 ish... You have to be diligent for what you are looking for, but it's doable.

Spend a little more and you'll get a LOT better performance for the money.

CZ457 Pro Varmint
Area 419 30MOA rail
Bushnell Match Pro
Scope rings of your choice.

I am wanting to dip my toe into Rimfire rifle as in NRL22 kind of stuff.
So List rifle, scope mount, scope and bipod. Try to keep under $700 as a budget

Where are you coming up with these values? As stated on the National Rifle Leagues website https://nrl22.org/about/rules/ :

Any rifle system that comes in under a combined MSRP of $1050 shall be eligible to compete in Base class. This combined MSRP price is for the rifle and scope only. It excludes scope rings and bases, bipods, suppressors, data card holders, magazines, spare magazine holders, auto bolt releases, aftermarket triggers and extended magazine releases.

Alabusa has all ready given you some very good info in post #10 above.

I'd recommend at minimum the CZ457 or Tikka T1x, but if you have to cheap out due to budget the savage's are accurate with an OK trigger (lottery chances with extractors and mag issues though). Ruger RPRR is another lottery accuracy chance and I cant recommend the Ruger American in good faith as I've seen too many extraction issues in addition to the barrel accuracy lottery.

Throw either the above mentioned chinese athlon scope or budget bushnells that Doug@cameraland is currently blowing out and be done with it. Good to start out with, you will probably upgrade once you understand the limitations and can shoot decently in competitions. Until then, this is a decent starter set, but the Tikka and CZ are much better choices for the long term.

Reactions: chopit and Alabusa
Thanks Misunderstanding on value. Old info ok Tikka or CZ it is. Thanks

I run a ruger precision and athlon argos btr gen 2 for a base class setup it's a little over your 700 budget but works well