• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nucleus and Mausingfield Can We Go Over The Differences

chris514scott

New to the sport and anxious to learn
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Oklahoma
This question has been asked a couple of times in the Nucleus announcement thread with no direct answers. Since I would also like to know the differences I was hopping we could create a thread that would specifically go over the this. Then this thread can help someone understand why they may want one over the other. Hopefully Ted can jump in here and give us his input.

Nucleus has:

7075 Aluminum scope rail (doesn't appear to be key fit to the receiver)
3 bolt lugs
non-Mauser, but still pretty beefy extractor
Bolt release is rotational and on top of the receiver
Non-integral recoil lug
72 degree bolt throw and dual cocking cams
Nitride heat treat/surface finish
100% cock on open
Adjustable firing pin protrusion
.223 and 6.8spc class bolt heads (.223 can be found for the M5, too but haven't heard any feedback on them)
ETA: $850 introductory, $1000 standard pricing
$150 introductory, $200 standard bolt head/extractor

Mausingfield:

Chrome moly steel scope rail keyed to the receiver
2 bolt lugs
Mauser extractor (non-rotating and cams away from the case during bolt close)
Bolt release behind ejector
Integral recoil lug
90 degree bolt throw and single cocking cam
DLC surface finish with nitrided bolt heads (as far as I'm currently aware)
105/-5 cocking (over-cocks 5% then the bolt drops that 5% on close easing the bolt closing to bring it to 100%)
$1600 standard pricing
$250 bolt head/extractor

Maybe more?

ETA: Both are alloy steel, but the vibe I'm getting is the Mausingfield is made of stronger alloys. It amounts to cool-guy points and increased safety factor in the case of a failure in the cartridge/barrel/whatever. Obviously the Nucleus is safe.

ETA2: M5 bolt head/extractor prices changed. I thought it was 250 for the head and 150 for the extractor but that must be old/wrong info. Glad to see things are cheaper than I think :)

Last edited:
Mausingfield bolt head and extractor is priced at $250, not $400. Nucleus bolt head and extractor is currently priced at $150.

Ted
Will you be adding Mausingfield bolt heads to the ARC online store? Also I didn't add a Barloc to my order when I put my deposit in for the Nucleus. If I buy one in the online store, can it be added to my Nucleus action when it becomes available?

The functionality Mausingfield more closely adheres to that of the original Model 98 Mauser. I think that young shooters would do well to understand the Mauser 98.

The Nucleus, with its three-lug bolt and 72 degree rotation disrupts the shooter's position to the lesser degree than does a two-lug 90 degree action. However, this comes at the price of primary extraction and an increase in the force required to cock the action, so long as both actions have similar cocking behavior, i.e. cock on open or cock on open and close. The extractor of the Nucleus, although far superior to a T-slot extractor (Savage and the like) and to that of the Rem 700, is still not functionally equivalent to the extractor of the Mausingfield or that of a M98 Mauser. The Mauser claw extractor used in the Mausingfield is the best extractor found in any bolt action, a fact supported by over 120 years of service on battlefields and hunting fields all over the world.

Ted

Ted, how would you rate the cocking force/bolt lift between the mausingfield and the nucleus?
They are about equivalent but more testing is required to ensure that the Nucleus can reliably ignite low sensitivity primers. That said, the cocking effort and ignition reliability are very promising at this time. I've learned a lot from the Mausingfield and those lessons have certainly found their way into the design of the Nucleus.

Folks will get hands on at Shot Show in just a few days. Come see us at booth 20459.

Ted

Reactions: Ledzep
Mausingfield = best two lug action
Nucleus = best three lug action

Do you prefer two-lug with superior extraction or a three-lug with less disruptive bolt cycle.

Ted

Mausingfield = best two lug action
Nucleus = best three lug action

Do you prefer two-lug with superior extraction or a three-lug with less disruptive bolt cycle.

Ted
I suppose I'll find out. I have a Mausingfield rifle already and have a deposit in for a Nucleus. I just put in an order for a Nucleus Barloc and specified that I'd like it with my action in the additional order details. Now I just need to get a .223 bolthead for my Mausingfield when they're available in the online store. I think between the actions and scope rings, I'm probably now an ARC fanboy.

I suppose I'll find out. I have a Mausingfield rifle already and have a deposit in for a Nucleus. I just put in an order for a Nucleus Barloc and specified that I'd like it with my action in the additional order details. Now I just need to get a .223 bolthead for my Mausingfield when they're available in the online store. I think between the actions and scope rings, I'm probably now an ARC fanboy.

I'm in the club with you. A Mausingfield owner, M10 ring owner and now have pre-ordered a Nucleus. I'm excited to have such an exciting design at a great price.

Ted, two of the Chassis I have looked at for my Nucleus rifles say they use AI mags or AW mags if the action will accept AW mags. In your opinion should AW mags work? I'm thinking that they should work but I would like to know what you expect to be reliable.

Ted, two of the Chassis I have looked at for my Nucleus rifles say they use AI mags or AW mags if the action will accept AW mags. In your opinion should AW mags work? I'm thinking that they should work but I would like to know what you expect to be reliable.
I'm pretty sure the Nucleus doesn't have an AW mag cut.

Reactions: diverdon
I was not able to design the Nucleus to work with the AW mag. However, among the top 2018 priorities for American Rifle Company is improving our 10-round double-stack center-feed mag. That will effectively resolve the AW issue. Existing customers will be able to upgrade springs and followers for free. More about that in the coming months.
Ted

Great thread. Thanks for clearing up the questions that were in my mind. If I hadn't just bought a mausingfield a few months ago I'd have a nucleus on preorder. I must say that the mausingfield has a great bolt throw imho, I stay completely on target through the whole cycle with my bottom two fingers staying on the stock to put opposite force on the gun. Totally satisfied with the M5 but my next build will be a light weight dasher on a nucleus and MPA chassis lefty for my girlfriend. I hope you can keep up with the demand for these new actions ted.

I was not able to design the Nucleus to work with the AW mag. However, among the top 2018 priorities for American Rifle Company is improving our 10-round double-stack center-feed mag. That will effectively resolve the AW issue. Existing customers will be able to upgrade springs and followers for free. More about that in the coming months.
Ted
That's great news Ted. Thank you! Once that issue is ironed out, do you think you may build an extended version (14-16 rounds or so?)

Outstanding thread! Thank you for the info, the Mausingfield is the finest action I have ever owned, and I will be putting money aside for a Nucleus in the future.

I’m sure I’ve missed it somewhere but can someone tell me the weight of the mausingfield action in LA magnum?

Can anyone comment on the integral vs non-integral recoil lug from a functionality perspective? I understand integral is viewed as superior and also costs more from mfg perspective, but with Nautilus lug being keyed would you expect the same functional performance? What are you giving up between the two or is it mostly theoretical?

Integral lugs are nice for switch barrel rigs. Functionally, as long as the lug is flat and square and the barrel is torqued on properly... No meaningful difference.

Reactions: C_Mack
Hi all,

I had a question about the availability of a Mauser style 3-position safety on the Nucleus. Google pointed me to this Facebook exchange:

Steve Vincent So I am wondering the main differences between the Nucleus and the Mausingfield.

Also, can with be fitted with a Winchester style 3 position safety? Not a deal killer, but I've grown up on them, so.....
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 20w

American Rifle Company, Inc. We like 3 position safeties like the original Mauser had, but with modern triggers we feel the are potentially unsafe. An original Mauser had massive sear engagement, modern triggers are relatively microscopic.

Can someone explain to me why a smaller sized sear engagement creates a hazard when used with the 3 position firing pin block safety? Is it because you can nudge the sear loose and fire the gun when you flip the safety from fire to safe or vice versa?

I believe it has to do with the fact that a 3 position safety disengages the the firing pin from the sear. Should something in the trigger stick then the rifle could fire when the safety is flipped. This wouldn’t be an issue when chambering as the bolt can’t be closed fast enough to give the firing pin the energy required to set off the primer. If the bolt was closed without the trigger engaging then the firing pin would simply come to rest on the primer without setting it off.

However in the 3 position safety the firing pin is pulled back farther than the sear providing it with the same potential energy as if it was cocked normally. Without the weight of the bolt to slow the firing pin down flipping the safety off would be the same as pulling the trigger.

With the old Mauser there was far less chance of the trigger being stuck in the fire position as the sear engagement was relatively long and with only two parts there was far less to go wrong. Inversely I’ve had my Jewel trigger twice click when I closed the bolt though luckily it was while I was dry firing and not with a round in the chamber. Im pretty sure it had to do with the sear engagement which is why I switched to Trigger Tech.

Reactions: physguy88
Thanks for that explanation! Why is Trigger Tech better than Jewell in terms of sear engagement?

Thanks for that explanation! Why is Trigger Tech better than Jewell in terms of sear engagement?

Jewell functions on very little sear engagement, which is why the standard trigger can be adjusted way down into single digit ounces. The trigger tech sear is a different design. The trigger tech is also quite well sealed up from outside elements.

Reactions: physguy88
Jewell functions on very little sear engagement, which is why the standard trigger can be adjusted way down into single digit ounces. The trigger tech sear is a different design. The trigger tech is also quite well sealed up from outside elements.

What about Timney triggers?