• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nucleus compatibility with Magpul Pro LA or Magnum Pmags

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Posted about this in equipment but not getting any bites...

My Nucleus in my Magpul Pro chassis will not seat Magnum Pmags properly. The mag catch will engage under no circumstance. I can bang on the bottom of the mag, and it will still not engage, and I can just pull it out. It feeds, it just might fall out. I can probably fix this by filing the notch on the mag, I just think I shouldn't have to.

On the contrary, the 30-06 Pmag will engage the mag catch, but if I insert the mag with the bolt to the rear, the mag will go in way too deep. The bolt will ram into the mag when I cycle the action.

Magpul and ARC have both been emailed, waiting on a reply from them.

This helped me with my Mcree Chassis and the 300 WM PMAG.

It would be freaking NUTS if I had to sand a PMAG like that to fit the MAGPUL stock LOL.

The problem is the action, not the stock.

Huh. My Accurate Mags work fine in a Nucleus, maybe they're out of spec... Or maybe the magpul mags are a little thick around the feed lips and need to be sanded down a to fit some actions using AICS pattern stocks.

From the Magpul product page:
PLEASE NOTE: Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.​

Huh. My Accurate Mags work fine in a Nucleus, maybe they're out of spec... Or maybe the magpul mags are a little thick around the feed lips and need to be sanded down a to fit some actions using AICS pattern stocks.

From the Magpul product page:
PLEASE NOTE: Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.​
99 percent sure that refers to the Short Action mags.

I'm using the LA Magnum mags. Magpul makes three different sizes of bolt action pmags: Short action, long action 30-06, long action magnum (saami). I'm hoping they release a magnum CIP mag soon.

99 percent sure that refers to the Short Action mags.

I'm using the LA Magnum mags. Magpul makes three different sizes of bolt action pmags: Short action, long action 30-06, long action magnum (saami). I'm hoping they release a magnum CIP mag soon.

Ah. Missed that bit. It's certainly a fitment issue and I'd start with sanding on the $40 magazine vs the $1000 action.

I had the same issue with a magpul aics mag and I took a little bit off of the latch area on the mag, unly about a mm or so, until it locked in tight. I would not thin out the lip area.

OP is complaining about having to modify his Magpul mags to work in his Magpul stock. My comment was directed at that complaint. The issue is his action, its probably not compatible with Magpul mags. The solution in most cases is to file down the feedlips on the magazine as suggested.

Reactions: wade2big
Magpul AICS mags rub annoyingly with my short action nucleus and if there’s upwards pressure on it it locks up the bolt half way when trying to extract a case.

Real AI and accurate mags run well but kinda bind the bolt with upward pressure.

ARC mags run well and upward pressure does nothing negative to feeding or bolt travel.

OP is complaining about having to modify his Magpul mags to work in his Magpul stock. My comment was directed at that complaint. The issue is his action, its probably not compatible with Magpul mags. The solution in most cases is to file down the feedlips on the magazine as suggested.
I'll give the mag mod a try, that makes some sense.

On the other hand, if someone's got a metal LA saami magnum mag to trade for a 30/06 and magnum pmag, i'll trade ya....

Thanks.

OP you will find out that many actions will not work well with magpul mags. Most actions will hit the mag lips with a pinky finger of pressure on the mag. Sometimes you can file down the feedlips enough where they will work and other times it is impossible. I sold the few pmags I had. Magpul is only good for AR15 and nothing more as far as Im concerned.

I wouldn't modify the magazine catch on the rifle unless it won’t allow metal mags to seat properly. If it is too long with metal mags then by all means modify the mag catch. Other than that modify the mags. Good luck.