• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV and thermal kills...

Not a kill but nice to see another predator out and about. Got within 10 feet before it decided I was too close…
IMG_6790.jpeg

Also saw a fox but it stayed way outside of .22LR range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556 and jwramp
All of the coyotes on this hunt were either mousing to begin with or were attracted to rodent sounds. Due to this, I called the Episode, "Mousing Around".

All of the coyotes on this hunt were around pastures. Coyotes and livestock just go together which is an unfortunate thing for ranchers but fortunate for us who enjoy calling coyotes. These episodes post weekly on Sundays at 8:00 Central. Sorry, a bit late getting this posted on AR15.com. It has been a crazy week. Enjoy.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
My Buddy popped this dog at 15 yards with the 22-250 Impulse.
He got the XP50 LRF for taking longer range shots and since that time a long shot has been 50 yards.
The corn was cut higher in this area of the field, so we had to let it travel to get into a spot we could shoot.
Luckily the wind was in our favor.
1 22 24 Dog.jpg

There is something about getting a call, text, or email saying, "I hear you can kill problem coyotes!" My answer is yes. This was a new property to me, and this video was only from part of the night as there was too much footage for one video. Most of the stands had coyotes coming from multiple angles and it was pure mania at times.

Nothing better than exposing a young kid to hunting for the first time. Took my buddy’s 10 year old out this past weekend. We spent the morning starting of with weapons safety and shooting 22s. Progressed to ARs off a tripod, and finished 6.5 ringing steel out to 400m.
Culminated with him making a perfect shot on a 200lb boar at 40m after a great stalk under NVGs.
IMG_0854.jpeg

Nothing better than exposing a young kid to hunting for the first time. Took my buddy’s 10 year old out this past weekend. We spent the morning starting of with weapons safety and shooting 22s. Progressed to ARs off a tripod, and finished 6.5 ringing steel out to 400m.
Culminated with him making a perfect shot on a 200lb boar at 40m after a great stalk under NVGs.
View attachment 8337347

Good on you! That kid will never forget that day and night.

There is something about shooting multiples on a stand. In this spot, it happened to be 5 that came to the call and never left. It often happens when you get in between two coyote territories, and they start coming from multiple directions.

Any of yall go to a bolt gun for coyotes and regret it? I’ve been using a 223 ar15 and just having to many runners for my liking. Can’t really find a large frame like I want without building so I’m thinking just go bolt gun. Just a little worried about multiples and follow ups.

Any of yall go to a bolt gun for coyotes and regret it? I’ve been using a 223 ar15 and just having to many runners for my liking. Can’t really find a large frame like I want without building so I’m thinking just go bolt gun. Just a little worried about multiples and follow ups.
I’m curious as well. I’m bouncing between my 6 ARC (gasser) and 6 Creed (bolt). For me it’s less about the cartridge and more about the optic choice. The ARC has a 2-10 and is much easier to shoot inside 100 than the Creed with a 3.5-25. Past 300 yds I’ll take the trajectory of the 6 Creed all day (or night lol).

I’ve not had enough doubles / triples to have that be a consideration… yet

Are you running a dedicated scope or clip on? The only penalty I’ve noticed with the bolt gun is the weight but I’m not carrying it far

Reactions: nikonNUT
I’m curious as well. I’m bouncing between my 6 ARC (gasser) and 6 Creed (bolt). For me it’s less about the cartridge and more about the optic choice. The ARC has a 2-10 and is much easier to shoot inside 100 than the Creed with a 3.5-25. Past 300 yds I’ll take the trajectory of the 6 Creed all day (or night lol).

I’ve not had enough doubles / triples to have that be a consideration… yet

Are you running a dedicated scope or clip on? The only penalty I’ve noticed with the bolt gun is the weight but I’m not carrying it far
I’m running a dedicated scope. (N vision xrf). In my case a bolt gun would probably be lighter.

What bullet/load are you using? What is your realistic shooting distance?

Have you tried heavier bullets? Barnes 70gr 5.56 has probably worked best for me over the years. Now running military mk262 but don’t think it’s done better than the Barnes. Love shooting bolt guns but way more effective using an AR for quick follow up shots.

Tricking The Trickster: KC Ep 120
There is something about fooling a coyote that never gets old. I named this episode "Tricking The Trickster" because most of these coyotes at one point seemed to lose interest, but I still found a way to get them before the stand was over.

Reactions: nikonNUT and TACC
Tricking The Trickster: KC Ep 120
There is something about fooling a coyote that never gets old. I named this episode "Tricking The Trickster" because most of these coyotes at one point seemed to lose interest, but I still found a way to get them before the stand was over.

when you popped the dog @ 1Min. mark. there looked to be 2 other hot spots that jumped and ran behind dog you popped out at the hay rolls.

when you popped the dog @ 1Min. mark. there looked to be 2 other hot spots that jumped and ran behind dog you popped out at the hay rolls.
Those were just little birds that got spooked by the shot. Thank you for watching.

IMG_0877.jpeg

Finally got the youngest son a pig at night. Actually had a big sounder come out during daylight the next day and killed a few more. Trying out the new Hornady 100gr ELD VT in 6.5 Creedmoor and some impressive performance so far.

Finally got some action with the backup RIX L3 on the 20-250.
180 yard shot that I normally wouldn't have taken, but I did because of the L3's ocular magnification.

Sometimes the best way to get coyotes even at night is closing the distance. Many of these coyotes were taken by simply getting close to coyotes.

Boss invited me up to his new cabin to help with some critters he wants gone. Far from done but I got a double! Healthy girls!
Double031324.jpg

Last edited:
Changing Weather: KC Ep 123: If there is one thing I have learned to Trust when hunting coyotes in the MidWest, is "Do Not Trust The Forecast". The forecast always seems to be different than what the reality of the conditions are, at least for an entire night. The night started off with 90% humidity and decent conditions. As the night continued, fog rolled in, and visibility made it difficult to drive. Bering thermals still produce in these types of conditions.

A Great Start: KC Ep 124: When you have a full night of hunting ahead of you, and on the first coyote stand multiple coyotes keep following the same path, "It Is A Great Start" to a hunt. This night started by 3 coyotes individually following the same path to the sound. A 4th arrived too quickly as I hadn't shot #3 and didn't stick around to make it a quad. This was just the start to a fun night of hunting.

Whistle While You Work: KC Ep 125
When coyote hunting, one of the methods to stop incoming coyotes is to whistle, bark, yell, etc. On this night, a lot of them were stopped by a whistle.

Another good weekend with some heavy hitters using GOV toys. Put five rounds in a 500lb+ boar but never recovered him. Kept thinking he was a cow instead of a pig so threw off our game.
IMG_0970.jpeg
img_0968-jpeg.8386900
img_0964-jpeg.8386901
IMG_0962.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 139
My Heart Is On The Prairie: KC Ep 126:
I absolutely love hunting the prairies of the Dakotas. The wide-open spaces are food for my soul.

Reactions: TACC and nikonNUT
Much like when the girlfrend is rambling the shot went in one ear and rigt out the other... I’m liking the TR650 more and more!
TR650-1.jpg

Last edited:
A Hometown Reunion: KC Ep 128
There is something about going back to your roots and hammering coyotes. This artwork on the cover was painted by a friend, Shona Dockter, also from my hometown. When I saw this image, it looks exactly like the barn from our farm and actually the barn on the farm where I started this hunt. I set up near some bale piles and before I knew 5 coyotes were all around me. Shooting 5 to start the night is a great way to start.