• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV Monocular

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Fellas. Im looking for a decent NV Monocle. Im looking to spend about 500max. Im not looking for a high-end unit, just something I can play around with on my property. (16acres thats very dark).
    Anyone have recommendations? Experiences? Pics!!??

Re: NV Monocular

With it being very dark you are just not gonna be happy and have shit performance for 500 bucks

+1 - I agree with this completely.

You will not get a decent monocular for under $2000... And to be honest, you really need to start looking at about $3000, or hope you get really lucky and one just drops into your lap.

All single-tube Gen1 and Gen1+ are pretty much unusable if there's not a moon around.

You can make your own spotting scope with an older cascade tube and they work well, but are the size of a pringles can and weigh about 4 or 5 pounds.

You can get a Gen2 D300 for just under $2000 but they don't handle really dark situations all that well. They do work, but will suffer for lack of photocathode sensitivity and the picture is both grainy and dark.

If you're really stuck on budget, have a look at the Xgen digital. It's crap, but 16 acres is pretty small - and an Xgen will give you active vision out to about 100m and works about as well as Gen1 NV does. Anyway, the main reason for recommending that model is that it's pretty cheap and works OK. But mainly because it's cheap and I wouldn't want to recommend spending more than about $120 on anything less than Gen2. At least then if you find that you need more, you're a lot closer to saving up the $3000 or so needed for a decent NV monocular -

Sorry to bring the bad news, but we all came into this the same way you are and all learnt the hard way... Just trying to save you going through the same pain...

Regards
    David

We always try to tell everyone to at least save their pennies for a Gen 2 system.

Seriously, no amount of money is worth most Gen 1 systems looking through a cloudy fish bowl.

If sitting around the campfire and strictly using it for recreational use...I guess if one wants to spend several hundred dollars to see green, sure. But I still say save for something you can really use.
    smile.gif

Vic

Ditto to all above. Save your 500 dollars for a good system. Use your money to buy a nice flashlight with a green lens filter. Shine it in the dark and you will be achieving FAR BETTER night vision than you will get with a $500 system!! And, you now have a good flashlight and not a Generation 1 paperweight.