• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NVG50 vs. NVG40 housing

squib

Sorry about your barrel
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
New York
Interested in info in the difference between the 2 housings besides the increased field of view for the NVG50? Anbody using either?

I believe it is the exact same housing with the only difference being the optics. There have been some threads on ARF including this one with a lot of info about them:
NVG-50

I believe it is the exact same housing with the only difference being the optics. There have been some threads on ARF including this one with a lot of info about them:
NVG-50
Thanks for the link. I have been told the 50's image has a tendency to fish eye.

Thanks for the link. I have been told the 50's image has a tendency to fish eye.

I've heard that too. I have zero experience with these optics so have no firsthand info to relate. Some guys seem to like it and others not so much. From the responses on ARF it seems the optics have some other issues such as excessive lens flaring with pics showing it. There is another thread (link below) with more info. The original poster felt the NVG-50/40 was bad enough that he deleted all of his content but there is other info in the thread.
NVG-50 2nd thread

IMO, I think it's a better investment to spend a little more and buy a more popular/common housing that uses actual PVS-14 optics. I believe they raised the price and resale is something to consider because you'll take a bigger hit on that setup (compared to something like an RNVG) if you decide to sell it down the road.

Were you looking at that housing because of gain control or just the wider view?

I've heard that too. I have zero experience with these optics so have no firsthand info to relate. Some guys seem to like it and others not so much. From the responses on ARF it seems the optics have some other issues such as excessive lens flaring with pics showing it. There is another thread (link below) with more info. The original poster felt the NVG-50/40 was bad enough that he deleted all of his content but there is other info in the thread.
NVG-50 2nd thread

IMO, I think it's a better investment to spend a little more and buy a more popular/common housing that uses actual PVS-14 optics. I believe they raised the price and resale is something to consider because you'll take a bigger hit on that setup (compared to something like an RNVG) if you decide to sell it down the road.

Were you looking at that housing because of gain control or just the wider view?

I was attracted to the price point and the size, a night vision retailer offers them with a variety of tubes and attractive warranty.

I was attracted to the price point and the size, a night vision retailer offers them with a variety of tubes and attractive warranty.

10-4. The excessive lens flaring with the optics would be a deal breaker in my opinion, which is based on what others have said (guys with a lot of NV experience). Even if you're rural, the Moon can cause issues as it is even with -14 or Anvis optics, and I wouldn't want optics that could make it even worse.

@squib

Did you end up getting the nvg-50s? I’m looking at getting a set due to the wider FOV and the price (seems like other housings are an extra $800 once you factor in optics). I’m going to be putting in my own tubes so I’m not concerned about vendor tube quality

@squib

Did you end up getting the nvg-50s? I’m looking at getting a set due to the wider FOV and the price (seems like other housings are an extra $800 once you factor in optics). I’m going to be putting in my own tubes so I’m not concerned about vendor tube quality

No I did not commit

@squib

Looks like it falls to you to get a set and write your review.