• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NWS: "Unsurvivable Storm Surge"

Bolo

Apprentice of Disaster
Minuteman
Looks like Laura is steaming toward Beaumont TX as a Cat 4. Looking at the potential storm surge covering all of coastal Louisiana and going up to 30 miles inland.
If you're in the AO, GTFO now. This is approaching Katrina-size, don't be a hero.
Best of luck and my prayers are with you and yours.
Surge Map
Current Advisory

If it keeps its strength or strengthens when it hits the coast is going to be horrific down there

2020 can get fucked anytime now...

God be with those dealing with riots, Covid and Laura
Maybe it'll end on a high note and team of jb/kh will be relegated to the history books along with the communist/marxist party (f.n.a. Democrat).

Wake me the fuck up when it happens.

All news, including the weathermen, are full of shit and just pumping for ratings.

If it bleeds it leads.

Hi,

Too late for anyone to be getting anywhere right now.
Rescue crews are going into hunker down phases right now.
It is going to be bad, real bad for those in SW La and Texas border of La. Local news calling for storm surge to push water 40+ miles inland.

Sincerely,
Theis
I was just about to PM you. Stay safe, man.

Three years to the day since harvey. That was wild. Never seen it rain that hard in my life.

My daughters boyfriend, Army Staff Sgt gas been deployed to south Texas for the last two weeks reading for 2 years in Germany....Last two days doing high water S/R Training getting sharp, geared up...they are in the underground bunkers on base... Their search and rescue helicopters already to go 40' storm surge, 30 miles inland, God knows how wide...Massive water, nothing to hold on too.And nothing much we can do.... Brother inlaw runs Tulane university's food service....getting ready to feed 8 thousand meals 3x's a day. 🙏 🙏 🙏 pray

Not to diminish the threat and I don't wish it on anyone in the path, but if it stays on course, much of that area in LA east of the Sabine is minimally inhabited coastal marsh/swamp/lowland inland for 20 miles. Some oil/gas infrastructure and Lake Charles is going to get smacked, but there are worse places for it to hit. Slight shift to the west and it's Port Arthur/Nederland/Beaumont.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
There are more people there than you think. Probably 1000-2000 if you count Johnson Bayou, Cameron, Holley Beach, Hackberry, Oak Grove, Creole, and probably many camp type houses that people live in that aren't on the map.

That whole area was wiped out in RIta in 2005. All that was left of Holley Beach was some poles sticking up out of the sand. You could drive by and not even realize there were houses there. Houses in Johnson Bayou were washed to the back marsh. Some parts were found, some houses were almost intact but hundreds of yards or more from its original foundation. It was close to 6 months before power was restored to the area. The whole infrastructure was gone.

Since Rita, some of the largest LNG export facilities sit at Sabine Pass and Johnson Bayou. Some of the facilities are elevated, some are diked, but probably not to the extent of this projected storm surge. I installed gas turbines at our facility at +25ft and we thought that was going to be well above possible surge. Looks like we needed to add another 10+ft but the business guys wouldn't have approved.

Friends have spent the last several days hauling belongings, farm equipment and livestock out of Johnson Bayou. There won't anything to go back to, again.

Not to diminish the threat and I don't wish it on anyone in the path, but if it stays on course, much of that area in LA east of the Sabine is minimally inhabited coastal marsh/swamp/lowland inland for 20 miles. Some oil/gas infrastructure and Lake Charles is going to get smacked, but there are worse places for it to hit. Slight shift to the west and it's Port Arthur/Nederland/Beaumont.

Don forget about all of trees as well. Hurricanes love to play pickup sticks with pine trees and topple oaks. Pines also like to snap 2/3rds of the way up and dangle.

Did 77 hours total of volunteer chainsaw work after Rita over a couple months of weekends. I was a yellow shirt. Crews of 10- 15 with no heavy equipment.

Most of our work was around Orange, Vidor and other areas. I was born in orange and my dad was a bishop there in the mid 80's. Lots of people knew me but I didn't know them.

Cat 4 at landfall. I’m 100 miles East of it. Winds in the 40’s, gusts higher. We’ve gotten probably 2-3” of rain so far.

Since we are past the 1/2 way mark of 2020 it's all downhill from here right???? JUST hope it's not an avalanche....:oops:

Prayers offered for any of you guys that are in the path of this storm. We're forecast to have 4 to 8 inches of rain and high winds. I've worked most of the major storms over the last 35 years and the power of those storms is awesome.