• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NX8 1-8 vs Gen3 Rzr 1-10

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I have a Gen 3 1-10 and it’s a decent scope, but the reticle leaves me cold. I much prefer the reticle in the NX8 (I’m an MOA shooter) as well as the weight but I have some concerns about getting behind the scope in odd positions.

May be a moot point as I will most likely run a mini red dot as a primary, but I am looking for first hand experience from anyone who may have or has used both scopes. How do they stack up (can be mil, they’ll compare the same)

Is your impression of the NX8 is that it’s built for the field or is this a 3 gun scope.

I don’t sell shit, so the vortex will have a home on something but I am trying to decide if I want to go ACOG w/red dot or try the 1-8 NX8. Guess just about anything will be easy to get behind compared to an ACOG but here we are.

Last edited:
The only thing the NX8 has going for it is the brighter dot and smaller size. Everything else the G3 razor spanks it IMO.

The NX8 is a downgrade (so is the ATACR8)

I would learn to use the Razor and get comfortable with it. Its the best LPVO short of dropping $4500 on an S&B. ACOGS were obsolete 10 years ago.

It’s pretty nice. Have been trying it with a RMR on a TREX 45* mount and it works fairly well strong side though I cannot get behind the RMR dot support side. I may just need to use the scope for the red dot support side and accept that it’s going to be slower, or go to a 1.5/1.7 mount and run the red dot at 12 o clock.

If Vortex would have offered a simple stadia reticle instead of the BDC I’d be happier with the scope. I can make the BDC work with my 77gr load but it takes brain power I have found to be lacking when I’m exhausted. I can still do it, but it eats up seconds.

That last point… I get that guys are gonna talk shit about this and say get into better shape. Valid, to a point, but regardless for me mental and physical acuity start to wane after a few miles in kit depending on conditions and terrain. It eventually impacts everyone. I’m push 49 now and though I’m in pretty good shape I’m not 30 anymore and taking any advantages I can are important, even as an “also ran”. This is why I’m trying an ACOG again (simplicity) and honestly it works fairly well but I’m struggling a bit beyond 400 yards with this particular unit and that has not been the case at all with the Gen3. I will say the rifle is much handier and easier to carry with the ACOG and I was hoping the NX8 might split the difference with a reticle more suited to my style of target acquisition.

I have the NX8, and the tight eyebox issues are alleviated with a higher mount and a more upright head position.
The NX8 is a 1x LPVO with the capability of 8x, where as the ATACR and Razor G3 are intended for max magnification capable of of 1x. Not they dont perform well on 1x, they absolutely do.
I prefer the weight class and red dot capabilities of the NX8 over all other features or limitations. But it needs a higher mount, 1.7" or 1.93", the latter preferably.
A lighter rifle is going to be naturally faster in transitions, but obtaining sight alignment and picture as compared to a red dot is negligible with minimal training.

I haven't seen through the NX8, I have through a Gen 3 Razor 1-10, my advice is buy the new Primary Arms PLx Compact 1-8x24 over both.

Last edited:
If nuclear bright is not a requirement then there’s the Vudu 1-10. It has a clean moa reticle and elevation turret which I personally love on a 1-8/1-10 LPVO.

Otherwise k16i if you don’t care about FFP.

I love my Acog and it’s still has its uses but it’s start to loose effectiveness at 400 yards.

Reactions: FatBoy
hmm...I'm still TRYING to like my nx8 1-8...it sits in the box in the closet....been there for a long long time. And this is coming from someone who likes night force and is looking to pic up another one in the near future. I should mount it back on my AR pistol and give it a second chance. I have tried it on a couple of rifles and did not dig it so much.

I have an older NX8 1-8x Mil. Nightforce made a few compromises to achieve the goal of a small, lighter weight LPVO with a large magnification range. My biggest complaint about my NX8 is the lacking reticle. But now that the FC-DMX reticle is available, that is a non-issue.

However...

I'm now trying to decide on which additional LPVO to pick up for a LMT MWS LM8, and the choices are the Vortex Razor G3 1-10x MRad, Nightforce ATACR 1-8x, or another NX8 (but with the FC-DMX reticle). To help me decide, I'm running my current NX8 (which is usually on an AR15) on my LMT LM8 to see how I like it. I still haven't decided yet.

hmm...I'm still TRYING to like my nx8 1-8...it sits in the box in the closet....been there for a long long time. And this is coming from someone who likes night force and is looking to pic up another one in the near future. I should mount it back on my AR pistol and give it a second chance. I have tried it on a couple of rifles and did not dig it so much.

Curious what puts you off with the NX8?

My issues with the G3 is it’s the reticle and weight. I didn’t think either would matter that much but in the end the way the Vortex BDC is set up is super annoying. They could have achieved the same thing with 2 MOA stadia lines and then putting the windage and yard markers off either side of the linear type reticle if they really wanted wind holds. Also, who the fuck runs 20” barrels with 55s or 77s ? I know it’s still a thing, kinda, but it’s rare that I see anything longer than 16” on the range anymore. Military uses Mil now so WTF were they thinking?

The weight, I can deal with it but the rifle comes in at about 6# without the scope/mount so adding close to 2# up high has it a little less balanced than I care. If I’m being honest, the weight/balance is really just being picky. But it is a tall bitch sitting in a 1.93 Badger COMM.

I’m not sure anything is actually going to check my boxes. I very much disliked the 1-8 ATACR the first few times I used it but I saw a buddy at the range a couple weeks ago who was running one on his 14.5 and it was pretty nice. Really nice. However, unavailable in MOA so fuck my luck. I have never seen the Kahles in person.

Very appreciative for all of the replies in the thread. I know this gets best to death every couple weeks.

Lol you like this reticle ?
C4F22383-CCD8-4DEB-9272-54C051262C9A.png

This is the reticle thar made me ditch MOA when I realized how little even my beloved Nightforce cares about MOA shooters. Really 1 MOA Same size hashes on a LPVO?

23C9FBDA-12D0-4F49-8D06-D0AE87FEB21E.gif

Reactions: CBDR
The NX8 is a 1x LPVO with the capability of 8x, where as the ATACR and Razor G3 are intended for max magnification capable of of 1x. Not they dont perform well on 1x, they absolutely do.
I agree with this. Now that the NX8 is coming with the newer FC-DMx reticle, we will see if this helps the NX8 in the max magnification setting.

Reactions: Snapper314
I know I'm beating a dead horse already, but OP you really should check out the new primary arms PLx Compact, it really is outstanding and I think fits the criteria you are looking for IF you like the reticle and doesn't have to be nuclear bright. It does everything well but not everything perfect (no lpvo does that I've seen yet).

NP-R1 is my favorite reticle so…. I may be behind help.
Great MOA reticle in a mid or high mag scope.

Terrible in a 1-x scope

Edit Been a long time since I had my MOA 3.5-15 and 5.5-22s
This reticle would have been Much better in regards to vertical hash marks versus that fc MOA junk pile

0400D9CA-2951-4B7F-BE9F-A6931771F2EC.png

Great MOA reticle in a mid or high mag scope.

Terrible in a 1-x scope

Yeah, the NP-R2 in my 2.5-10 is easier to pick up. No matter what I run I will probably have a piggybacked RMR so it’s really just for 300-600 shots.

I have a 20” “SPR~ish” mod0~ish set up for my AEM5 that the 1-10 would be perfect on, I just don’t want to carry the pig.

Reactions: deersniper
I have a Gen 3 1-10 and it’s a decent scope, but the reticle leaves me cold. I much prefer the reticle in the NX8 (I’m an MOA shooter) as well as the weight but I have some concerns about getting behind the scope in odd positions.

May be a moot point as I will most likely run a mini red dot as a primary, but I am looking for first hand experience from anyone who may have or has used both scopes. How do they stack up (can be mil, they’ll compare the same)

Is your impression of the NX8 is that it’s built for the field or is this a 3 gun scope.

I don’t sell shit, so the vortex will have a home on something but I am trying to decide if I want to go ACOG w/red dot or try the 1-8 NX8. Guess just about anything will be easy to get behind compared to an ACOG but here we are.
I've owned both and I'd stick with the vortex. The NX8 is an alright scope but there is noticeable fisheye at 1x, the 8x just isn't as crisp as the razor's 8x, the fov isn't as nice to look through, and of course everyone likes to shit on the eyebox. You said you like the reticle and ofc that's preference but the combo of the super thick donut and lack of a grid for wind holdovers really turns me off compared to the razor's. They are releasing the ATACR reticle soon like someone else said which is probably worth a look.

As far as I know, all the ATACR 1-8s are Mil. I have MOA come ups basically tattooed on my aging, stubborn brain. I don’t want to change now.

Shot the newer 14.5 to 600 again today but I brought some handloads. My go to 77gr load had no problem hitting a 24” gong at 610 yards today. 80%+ hit rate. The 55 IMI, 25% hit rate. Wolf 55gr brass case, 0% hit rate.

Fuck my luck. I hate carrying two loads so Ill probably just use the 55gr stuff for 5-200y drills and the limited comps I attend I’ll run handloads.

I said it in another thread, the ACOG red dot combo may not be the best out there but it does work well. Maybe I should just get a 1.7” Reptilian mount and put an RMR up top to see if I can warm up to it more? I have run it at 45 and it works well as long as I don’t have to shoot support side and though if may not hurt, I’m not fond of the scope obscuring my field of view. It’s picky bullshit though, the damn G3 is pretty nice and if it had a more linear graduated reticle (like their mil reticle) I’d probably be tickled shitless.

I need to stop buying optics and buy more ammo…

After much consideration on if I should try a LVPO I came up with the following.
I think I remember reading several years ago the dark lord of optics mentions something about...
If your not used to an LVPO they may be challenging to get behind.
With that being said and my desire for higher mag.
I am just going to move my S&B US to my 6.5G AR.

R/
CBDR

Curious what puts you off with the NX8?

My issues with the G3 is it’s the reticle and weight. I didn’t think either would matter that much but in the end the way the Vortex BDC is set up is super annoying. They could have achieved the same thing with 2 MOA stadia lines and then putting the windage and yard markers off either side of the linear type reticle if they really wanted wind holds. Also, who the fuck runs 20” barrels with 55s or 77s ? I know it’s still a thing, kinda, but it’s rare that I see anything longer than 16” on the range anymore. Military uses Mil now so WTF were they thinking?

The weight, I can deal with it but the rifle comes in at about 6# without the scope/mount so adding close to 2# up high has it a little less balanced than I care. If I’m being honest, the weight/balance is really just being picky. But it is a tall bitch sitting in a 1.93 Badger COMM.

I’m not sure anything is actually going to check my boxes. I very much disliked the 1-8 ATACR the first few times I used it but I saw a buddy at the range a couple weeks ago who was running one on his 14.5 and it was pretty nice. Really nice. However, unavailable in MOA so fuck my luck. I have never seen the Kahles in person.

Very appreciative for all of the replies in the thread. I know this gets best to death every couple weeks.
I think what irks me about it is that the center dot is huge (not a precision aiming point), and as deer sniper said hinted, the whole setup of the reticle isn't designed for precision shooting at distance. I get it though, the scope wasn't necessarily designed for precision shooting, so at least for me, its a frustrating scope to use. If the scope can't shoot precision at 100 yards, maybe I should just go back to an old school acog with an RMR bolted on top lol.

The ATACR 1-8 FC-DMx reticle looks better for my desires, but I would have to try it first to be sure not to make an expensive nightforce mistake.

I think what irks me about it is that the center dot is huge (not a precision aiming point), and as deer sniper said hinted, the whole setup of the reticle isn't designed for precision shooting at distance. I get it though, the scope wasn't necessarily designed for precision shooting, so at least for me, its a frustrating scope to use. If the scope can't shoot precision at 100 yards, maybe I should just go back to an old school acog with an RMR bolted on top lol.

The ATACR 1-8 FC-DMx reticle looks better for my desires, but I would have to try it first to be sure not to make an expensive nightforce mistake.

The NX8 1-8 is available with the DMx reticle from the ATACR now.

NX8 DMx

The ATACR 1-8 is a superb optic.

I NEED HELP…. “Paralysis by Analysis”….I’m so tempted to get a N8X with the ATACR FC-DMx recticle. I’m torn what to get.

Ive looked through the Vortex Razor 1-10 at the store a few times and it sort of seems like I had faint sun glasses on. I looked through the Nightforce ATACR at a different store and I was ruined….lol.

I could easily spend the cash on the ATACR and a $300 mount….and I typically don’t let money get into the total decision much…but a $1700 NX8 with FC-DMx recticle might be nice for what I do with the rifle.

I have a FN SCAR17 with a Trijicon VCOG 1-8 I bought last year and do not use. The glass and all is nice. I wish it had windage hold over through. People complain the VCOG is a pig but at 32oz it’s only 3-4oz heavier that a Razor or ATACR and good mount. I like that the mount is built in, takes a simple AA battery, built very well, reticle is great easy to see.

***So here is ultimately what I am thinking….This LPVO is going on a Daniel Defense 16” AR which it light weight…so it might be cool to get the lightweight Nightforce NX8 FC-DMx reticle, sell my new VCOG and get the ATARC and my reticles between the 2 match.

if you read this far…god bless ya! Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice. Mike

@Mdrums I’ve always been of the mind that if I don’t like something, I can always sell it and not really be out too much money. If I were in your shoes, I’d get both the NX8 and the ATACR, run them along with the VCOG to see which I like most, and sell the odd man out.

I can’t imagine you’d have a hard time selling any of them once you’ve made your decision. They’d still be like new.

Reactions: Mdrums

Maybe the Goldilocks choice between an ACOG and a LPVO? If you go this route be sure to get some 1.93" height rings for the optimal set up with it, maybe even something like the LeRue RISR especially if you are complaining about neck pain. But, if you don like that, then I would still go the LPVO route and Nightforce is leaps and bounds ahead of Vortex in terms of durability.
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/competition/competition-sr-fixed-45x24/

Last edited: