• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

NX8 2.5-20 or MK 5 3.6-19 need advice

ImGomer

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2021
Indianapolis
I have a desire to put glass on my 6.5 CM Has gun. It’s suppressed with an 18inch criterion barrel. The goal is 1k and in.

I’d love done recommendations on glass.
Also is the Leupold TriPod worth it? I hear it’s a Leophoto and I got a lead on one for a good price. Should I snag it or wait for a RRS

Finally I need suggestions for a spotting setup. I was thinking a Leupold MK4 with BIP discount seems the best value but I would love advice.

thanks!

Both solid choice. Try to get behind both. Generally the 2.5-20 is a little bit of a compromise in the design and has a bit more picky eye box compared to the Mark 5. The 4-32 is actually a bit better in that sense. Reticle - depends what you want. I generally prefer the Nightforce offerings but if you want a Tremor 3 for some reason, both Leupold and NF offers it.
You will have to pay extra for illum on a MK5 and for me, I do think it’s worth to have it at low zoom if you’re hunting in low light around timber.
MK5 has locking turrets.
some people will say the MK5 has crisper glass but that’s mostly subjective. Other say MK5 has more CA than NX8.

TLDR: both are solid and will serve you right, just depends of what feature you want.
But I think unless you need 2.5x at the bottom, the 4-32 is a better offering.

Both solid choice. Try to get behind both. Generally the 2.5-20 is a little bit of a compromise in the design and has a bit more picky eye box compared to the Mark 5. The 4-32 is actually a bit better in that sense. Reticle - depends what you want. I generally prefer the Nightforce offerings but if you want a Tremor 3 for some reason, both Leupold and NF offers it.
You will have to pay extra for illum on a MK5 and for me, I do think it’s worth to have it at low zoom if you’re hunting in low light around timber.
MK5 has locking turrets.
some people will say the MK5 has crisper glass but that’s mostly subjective. Other say MK5 has more CA than NX8.

TLDR: both are solid and will serve you right, just depends of what feature you want.
But I think unless you need 2.5x at the bottom, the 4-32 is a better offering.
I see a CCH non illuminated MK5 5-25 in the VIP shop and am very tempted.

Two questions.
1: For a 18inch suppressed 6.5 gas gun (criterion barrel) 6.5 is 5-25 overkill?

2: How is the CCH reticle?

my entire time in a sniper section I never used the illumination so I could care less tbh

Honestly, I use a 4.5-29x56 on my 16” 308/22” 223 DTA. I absolutely don’t see it as overkill. I don’t actually spend much time at 25x or higher unless I’m doing load development. I usually stay between 15x and 20x so I can spot myself.
Unless you need the extra fov you might be better off with a 5-25 design than a 3-18.
Then again, are we talking about stationary hunting ? Steels? Bench rest ? PRS ?

Honestly, I use a 4.5-29x56 on my 16” 308/22” 223 DTA. I absolutely don’t see it as overkill. I don’t actually spend much time at 25x or higher unless I’m doing load development. I usually stay between 15x and 20x so I can spot myself.
Unless you need the extra fov you might be better off with a 5-25 design than a 3-18.
Then again, are we talking about stationary hunting ? Steels? Bench rest ? PRS ?
It’s my only larger bore ATM that isn’t a milSurp I’m going to do everything with it. Probably gonna build a dedicated PRS gun eventually

Mark 5 over the NX8. Glass is pretty much equal to my eyes but I don’t have much time behind an NX8. Mk5 is probably better with low light performance but I have not tested this personally. I like the CCH and PR2 reticle on the mk5. The the eyebox on NX8 is too tight for me.

It’s my only larger bore ATM that isn’t a milSurp I’m going to do everything with it. Probably gonna build a dedicated PRS gun eventually
Mark 5, 5-25 in a pr2. If you absolutely need illumination I'd opt for the TMR.

Or, go to the nx8 4-32 mil-xt illuminated.

Leupold charges too much for illumination, but I find them much more comfortable to use than the nx8. I've used the M5 5-25, 7-35, nx8 2.2-20, and 4-32. Next one will be another Mark 5, 5-25 in pr2.

Reactions: st1650
I was on the NX8 Kick, but after having a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 fall into my lap from Doug at Camera Land, I will spend the 300 more and get the T5Xi 5-25x56 to mount on my other rifle I just built.

I had my buddy bring his NX8 2.5-20x50 with the XT rectal so we could compare it the T5Xi 3-15x50. The first thing from him was "The glass looks better and the illumination is a lot clearer on the Steiner", which surprised me. It also has a bigger eye box, better territs, 34mm tube.