• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NX8 and ATACR Initial Thoughts

B-P-UU

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I spent about 30 minutes behind the rifles yesterday morning comparing my 4-16x42 ATACR and the new 4-32 NX8. No shooting, just looking in dreary, rainy, overcast weather. These are some initial observations.

- Turrets are good on the NX8, but the ATACR's are clearly better. NX8's are softer and not as sharp or loud, easier to turn, however the smaller turret helps negate this. If the turret were the same diameter as ATACR, it would spin too freely. No hysteresis or slop; quality turrets you would expect from NF. All other controls are on par for what you'd expect from NF as well.. just as solid and smooth as ATACR.

- Glass, I'm not a snob and pick a scope based on application and overall features.. however, ATACR glass agrees with my eyes very well in general. Comparing both scopes on 16x and 8x, I could tell the ATACR was better without looking too hard. We're not talking a step-function difference here and I was pleasantly surprised by the NX8. reading street signs was slightly easier with the ATACR. Color seemed close on both looking at various backgrounds.

- NX8 is surprisingly usable at upper end of mag spectrum. Some image degradation at 32x. I didn't find the eye box difficult on any magnification. Rifle has adjustable cheek riser.

- With a 24" barrel and 6" suppressor, the bottom 25% of sight picture is blocked at 4x magnification due to the FOV. Had to go to around 6x for unobstructed view.

- Slight tunneling on 4x to around 4.75x.

- Parallax is more finicky on the NX8. ATACR seems to just 'snap' to the appropriate setting without much hunting back and forth.

- Didn't check close focus

- Size is very similar to the 4-16x50, which this scope may replace (see pics)

- 30 and 34mm tubes both require same height rings (APA .856")

- Capped windage is small and compact (doesnt protrude far from main tube) I don't anticipate brass rash on turret cap.

- I much prefer the entire ocular rotating of the ATACR over the mag ring on the NX8.

Obviously very little time with it, but initial impressions are good. Why switch? The rifle is my primary "big game" rifle and I thought having 32x for game inspection would be beneficial at no size/weight penalty over the ATACR. Also, 35x ATACR's on my other match rifles has spoiled me a bit.

No experience with the 2.5-20, that scope doesn't interest me too much.. at 2.5x I would imagine most of my suppressor would block sight picture anyways. Between the 2.5-20 NX8 and 4-16 ATACR, I think the 4-16 is a better mousetrap for MY needs.

At the end of the day, I'll have one of each to move around as needed. Not sure if you could pin me down to choosing just 1. If top-tier turrets and glass outweighs upper end mag, the 4-16 is the one for you. If slightly smaller features, more mag, 30mm tube are higher priority, go NX8. These scopes are in different price brackets, so comparing them isn't really fair.. with that said, I think the NX8 is a step in the right direction replacing the NXS line without stepping on the toes of ATACR line.

20191021_095151.jpg

20191021_095136.jpg

Nice report, thanks. I’m going to get my hands on those same 2 scopes, plus the Vortex AMG tomorrow.

Very nice right up. It was a hard decision choosing between the ATACR 4-16 and the Nx8 2.5-20. The .856 APA rings look to be an ideal height for the 4-16x50 ATACR.

I just picked up a NF Atacr today and so far loving it. Not too happy with the thicker tunnel tube effect compare to my old scope but just the quality and feel of it felt amazing.

Nice report, thanks. I’m going to get my hands on those same 2 scopes, plus the Vortex AMG tomorrow.
waiting for your review,i ve to decide between the nx8 4-32,ATACR 4-16x42 and vortex AMG ,i need help!

Reactions: hseII
Thanks for the review, so you would recommend the Vortex Razor OVER the NX8?
I'm squirreling away pennies to eventually get a big boy LPVO and the NX8 has been on my short list so your observations are very interesting to me.

Hi,

Is there any reason you are copy and pasting other peoples replies from other forums onto this one as if they are your replies?
That is pretty scammerish of you :)

Sincerely,
Theis

See post from Senorlechoro

waiting for your review,i ve to decide between the nx8 4-32,ATACR 4-16x42 and vortex AMG ,i need help!

All great scopes.. I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Hi,

Is there any reason you are copy and pasting other peoples replies from other forums onto this one as if they are your replies?
That is pretty scammerish of you :)

Sincerely,
Theis

See post from Senorlechoro

Impressive detective work.. I thought the question/ comments were misplaced.

Go with the ATACR or the AMG. I compared both NX8s to the 4-16 ATACR and other similar scopes the other day and they just didn’t do it for me to be honest. I don’t think the few oz you save is worth it.
A lot better scopes out there like the Kahles 318i 3-20/5-20 US that are short and compact and not that heavy but really nice pieces of glass.
thank you for your answer!did you ever compare the NF 4-16x42 vs kahles 3-18?i'm a huge nightforce fan even if the euro/dollar exchange rate make a NF to be more expensive than a schmidt bender so i might consider a kahles!what about their reliability?

@B-P-UU - Thanks for the review, 2 very nice scopes for sure. I agree with what you said as well, especially the last paragraph. I think the NX8 is almost a mini-ATACR as it gets close optically with some ED glass but like you said, doesnt quite get there or step on the toes of the ATACR. Its funny when you said "I much prefer the entire ocular rotating of the ATACR over the mag ring on the NX8." - I do too, lol. I was excited for the new mag ring/ocular design but after messing with NX8 prefer the ATACR functionality, nothing wrong with the NX8 design just personal preference there. Both solid choices, just depends what is important to you.

You said you compared for 30 minutes or so, have you been able to compare both in low light situations?

Reactions: B-P-UU and jp_over

I spent a ton of time with the ATACR 4-16x42 and AMG 6-24...and the ATACR 1-8, NX8 1-8 and Razor 1-6. I spent SO much time with the LPVOs that I forgot to look at the bigger NX8s ??‍♂️ Guess I’ll have to go back next week.

I love the ATACRs...the ergonomics, fit/finish, glass...they feel tough as hell. I liked the AMG glass, reticle, weight, increased magX, but the fit/finish and controls are a step down from the NF imo. It (AMG) is still in the lead for me, due to the overall package of lightweight, increased mag, and overall package. If I could combine the 2 it would be my perfect scope. I want to see a Minox ZP5 3-15 before making the final decision. This will be my first big/expensive glass purchase since a Gen1 Razor a few years back so I want to get it right. That’s where my other issue arises...purchase 1 top (or near top) tier scope with some compromises in practical functionality for $2k+ or get 2 $1k scopes; a LPVO and 3-15/4-20. Primarily looking for a 16” Recce build, but could swap between rifles. 1-8 ATACR is fantastic, only thing I didn’t like was the shadowing of the illumination of cheek weld is off (also present in NX8). This was the only place the RG2 bested the NF. If I was putting a LPVO on a lightweight 14.5/16” I’d get the NX8 no doubt, really liked it, although not as much as the ATACR.

All this rambling was purely subjective I know. Reading all these threads does help though as I was looking for things other people noticed (+&-) and picked up on them.

Glass being less than the ATACR is to be expected. The ATACR uses HD glass throughout it's construction. The NX8 does not.

IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!! :D :D :D

Corn harvest in full swing here... zeroed rifle using a flashlight at 11 pm Friday night.. LOL.
Sent a few rounds to true dope out to 675 yds Saturday morning. Spent a few minutes looking around sundown and then again close to dusk.. not enough time to formulate an opinion and no comparison to ATACR. However, I liked what I saw at the end of the day, especially in the mid power ranges.

Reactions: hseII