• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NX8 vs Razor gen2

I own the ATACR 7-35, G2 4.5-27, NX8, Cronus BTR (and a bunch of other lower end scopes)

I don't PRS, just long distance shooting out to 2k, mostly prone and some bench. Here are my completely subjective likes based on my usage/needs. These were established by doing side by sides where we looked through the different scopes at 500-1800 yards.

For me:
  1. NF 7-35.
    1. Like: Best Glass, best turrets. Love the extra magnification. Love the Mil-XT .2 hashes on elevation.
    2. Dislike: Street price is exactly 1 kidney.
  2. NX8
    1. Like: Mil-XT. My favorite reticle. To my eye, better glass than the razor, not as good as ATACR. If I was doing PRS or other quick acquisition activities, I would put the Razor above the NX8. For me glass/reticle is first so it slightly edges out the G2.
    2. Dislikes: Small eyebox above 20x,
  3. Razor G2
    1. Like: Best all around bang for the buck. $16-1700 street price for EBR-7C. I own/have owned quite a few, zero issues. (Switched from MOA to MIL a couple of years ago) Great turrets, love the locking.
    2. Dislike: Really nothing when considering the price. Had I never starting using an ATACR 7-35, I would still be very happy with this scope. Plenty of elevation in MIL for my shooting. MOA is elevation limited for long distance. (due to limited clicks in the internals)
  4. Cronus BTR
    1. Good: Street price 11-1300 depending on reticle. Turret is really crisp. These are a great option with the APRS1 or newer reticles. Probably selling mine to standardize on reticles but have enjoyed the scope. Another great scope for the $.
    2. Lesser: Glass is less than those above.
Complete side note: I love the Strike eagle 5-25 from vortex. What an awesome deal at $600. More and more of my basic rifles are getting those.

I really wish Vortex would get a 7-35 and a reticle with .2 hashes. Please make that the G3 and street price at 2k. That would be an absolute winner.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Just got an NX8 4-32 CF2D and was initially impressed with the glass after reading it was less than stellar. After comparing it today to my XTR3 5.5-30 and Trijicon/Delta 5-50, it takes 3rd place in the glass dep't. Trijicon 1st, and XTR3 splits the difference, closer to the Trij than to the NF.

So, debating sending it back to Eurooptic and spending more money instead... I'd love an MSR2 reticle, but could go with another xmas tree, or I could go ATACR 7-35 with essentially the same reticle or the mil-xt. I chose this over the mil-xt because I like fine reticles, and the 2nd focal plane doesn't bother me - like having a few different scopes when they do it right, as NF has done. Weight, I liked the idea of a lighter weight scope, but if I can't get the glass I'm after, another 10 oz isn't going to kill me. The scopes is for a Tikka in 6.5 MAX with a 28" Sendero profile. Any recommendations I'm all ears...

Just got an NX8 4-32 CF2D and was initially impressed with the glass after reading it was less than stellar. After comparing it today to my XTR3 5.5-30 and Trijicon/Delta 5-50, it takes 3rd place in the glass dep't. Trijicon 1st, and XTR3 splits the difference, closer to the Trij than to the NF.

So, debating sending it back to Eurooptic and spending more money instead... I'd love an MSR2 reticle, but could go with another xmas tree, or I could go ATACR 7-35 with essentially the same reticle or the mil-xt. I chose this over the mil-xt because I like fine reticles, and the 2nd focal plane doesn't bother me - like having a few different scopes when they do it right, as NF has done. Weight, I liked the idea of a lighter weight scope, but if I can't get the glass I'm after, another 10 oz isn't going to kill me. The scopes is for a Tikka in 6.5 MAX with a 28" Sendero profile. Any recommendations I'm all ears...
Send it in and spend more money like you want. You only live 2.5 times and you gotta do what you want. It’s what George Washington would want you to do.

I literally just ordered an NX8 and an AMG. I looked really hard at the Atacr, I mean really hard, but I'm an moa guy so the weight and the fact that NF just doesn't give a flying crap about putting out a decent MOA reticle, kept me from spending what an atacr requires. Kind if getting some buyers remorse even before I even recieve the NX8. (Gets here Friday).

The amg in MOA is 3-6 months out, but I have the order and deposit in. I feel like I will be happy with it whenever I get it.

AMG’s field of view at 6 power was too narrow for me. I have a NX8 that should be here by end of the week. From experience of looking through the 2.5-20 I think the 4-32 will work for me better than the AMG.

You'll love the NX8.

I honestly don't know why people love to trash them so much ....
I sure hope so. I always wanted a NF so I really want to love it and the weight is a ton better for the mag range than anything else I'd consider. That said, the reticle isn't close to the ebr7. I really like that reticle and have it on a PST gen2. Why NF refuses to make a decent moa reticle is beyond me!!! There's a lot of folks who love them some moa because it's what they are used to, NF should figure that out, they'd sell a ton my scopes if they did, including at least one more atacr!

Too bad they don't make a Mil-xt type reticle/christmas tree style in MOA for the MOA folks. I remember being annoyed with that years ago before I switched over to Mil. The Mil-xt is my favorite reticle and love that it is the same in my 7-35's and NX8.

Wish Vortex would do a .2 mil hash on the elevation of the EBR-7c.

I sure hope so. I always wanted a NF so I really want to love it and the weight is a ton better for the mag range than anything else I'd consider. That said, the reticle isn't close to the ebr7. I really like that reticle and have it on a PST gen2. Why NF refuses to make a decent moa reticle is beyond me!!! There's a lot of folks who love them some moa because it's what they are used to, NF should figure that out, they'd sell a ton my scopes if they did, including at least one more atacr!

I agree completely, it’s the reason I have never owned a NF and probably never will. I’m glad that vortex supports MOA, there must be enough demand for MOA because they keep making them.

I literally just ordered an NX8 and an AMG. I looked really hard at the Atacr, I mean really hard, but I'm an moa guy so the weight and the fact that NF just doesn't give a flying crap about putting out a decent MOA reticle, kept me from spending what an atacr requires. Kind if getting some buyers remorse even before I even recieve the NX8. (Gets here Friday).

The amg in MOA is 3-6 months out, but I have the order and deposit in. I feel like I will be happy with it whenever I get it.

Maybe take a look at the March offerings? I almost went AMG as well, but thought I'd give the NX8 a try. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I dare say the ability to resolve, say, tree bark at 100 yards is just as good, if not better than my other scopes. But looking out at distance, the shortcomings are more clear - doesn't cut through haze / mirage nearly as well, and doesn't resolve as well, especially moving objects, as the other Japanese scopes mentioned above. I don't have any issue with tight eyebox or finicky parallax, at least not compared to the XTR3 or Trijicon/Delta.

Maybe take a look at the March offerings? I almost went AMG as well, but thought I'd give the NX8 a try. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I dare say the ability to resolve, say, tree bark at 100 yards is just as good, if not better than my other scopes. But looking out at distance, the shortcomings are more clear - doesn't cut through haze / mirage nearly as well, and doesn't resolve as well, especially moving objects, as the other Japanese scopes mentioned above. I don't have any issue with tight eyebox or finicky parallax, at least not compared to the XTR3 or Trijicon/Delta.

Well I thought about March but I'm not familiar with them and it's hard for me to spend several grand on something I haven't ever even seen... probably should have looked at em though.

I will have to see what the 2 scopes look like to me when shooting and go from there I guess.

I'd like to bitch about Night Force not offering anything half way decent in a MOA reticle one more time also... the ATACR 7-35 is definitely what I'd have gotten had there been anything close to the ebr7 reticle or horus in MOA ect...

There's a reason you can't find the Razor/AMG in MOA anywhere, but you can find the Mrad.... People are waiting 6 months to get an MOA AMG, and yet NF won't even attempt to meet that demand in the market... just hard to grasp as a business owner.

Most of my scopes are MOA. I have an AMG with the EBR-7 reticle and another with EBR-7B reticle, both in MOA. I seem to keep reading that MOA is dead so since I needed a scope for my new project, just for the heck of it, I ordered a Razor Gen 2 in Mil to see what the fuss is about. For my feeble mind MOA seems to make more sense though.

Reactions: GhostFace and DMP
Most of my scopes are MOA. I have an AMG with the EBR-7 reticle and another with EBR-7B reticle, both in MOA. I seem to keep reading that MOA is dead so since I needed a scope for my new project, just for the heck of it, I ordered a Razor Gen 2 in Mil to see what the fuss is about. For my feeble mind MOA seems to make more sense though.

Nothing to really make sense about. Use it just like a moa scope. Use a ballistic app to get your data and dial or hold it. For corrections just use the reticle as a ruler to tell you how many mils to hold or dial as you would with an moa scope.

The only people that think they will have problems using either are people that try and link either angular to a linear like inches or CM. Forget linear.

Reactions: dski and GhostFace
Nothing to really make sense about. Use it just like a moa scope. Use a ballistic app to get your data and dial or hold it. For corrections just use the reticle as a ruler to tell you how many mils to hold or dial as you would with an moa scope.

The only people that think they will have problems using either are people that try and link either angular to a linear like inches or CM. Forget linear.
I can see the advantage of mils if you dial for elevation. The numbers will be a lot smaller than MOA and less turret turning. Yup, you're right, angular measurements. The Gen 2 is for my 6 ARC project so hopefully it will work out well. Thanks!

Reactions: Rob01

Totally agree. I was afraid of learning metric vs imperial. Then it finally got through my head that was unnecessary!

I started making corrections based on the reticle measurement. (e.g. No more, "you are 10 inches low". Only "you are .2 mil low.")

Even if I would have stayed with MOA, I was going to stop thinking about the distance in anything but what the reticle told me. Really simplified calls. All part of the learning process!

The toughest part was going through and replacing everything to be on one system. Lots of selling/buying. I was shooting with some folks with mil and moving over was really nice to stop all the conversions.

Reactions: MadSuburbanDad
I don't think MOA is dead, it just not popular in PRS/tactical matches. I know these are tactical scopes and I'm sure the sales are probably 10 to 1 or 10 to 2 favoring MILs but is that because there are only 2 companies that even offer a good MOA tree reticle? The only two that I can think of is Athlon and Vortex. If maybe people had more choices would more be sold? I dunno....I've been using MOA too long to want to change, I can and have used mils but MOA is almost like a second language for me. I must admit the wind formulas for MILs is really simple but MOA isn't too hard but not as easy as MILs though. Any I don't want to thread jack so I'll won't say anymore on this subject.

Totally agree. I was afraid of learning metric vs imperial. Then it finally got through my head that was unnecessary!

I started making corrections based on the reticle measurement. (e.g. No more, "you are 10 inches low". Only "you are .2 mil low.")

Even if I would have stayed with MOA, I was going to stop thinking about the distance in anything but what the reticle told me. Really simplified calls. All part of the learning process!

The toughest part was going through and replacing everything to be on one system. Lots of selling/buying. I was shooting with some folks with mil and moving over was really nice to stop all the conversions.

This is encouraging. I'm planning to pick up my first MIL scope soon and was worried about making the conversions. I'm looking at the Razor as well...