• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NXS 2.5-10 vs Razor 1-10

Ryan Brownshoe

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Western NY
13F7A9C9-1281-4C0C-B38E-1A476A2D9802.jpeg
I’m currently debating between the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Vortex Razor 1-10x24 for my new hunting rifle.

The rifle is a .308 Remington 700, with a 16” barrel. This rifle will be primarily used to hunt whitetail deer in the North East. The average tree stand shot opportunity will be 75 yards or less. I also hunt over cut cornfields, where shots can be made out to 250-300 yards. Lastly, we conduct end of the season deer drives, where shots can get as close as 10-15 yards.

Ideally, I imagine running around 5 power for tree stand hunting, 8-10 power for hunting over fields, and 1-2 power for deer drives.

Try practicing snap shots on a timer at 10yds with 1x and 2x magnification. Make sure to do it in less than ideal light on a brown target with a brown background. I'm willing to bet the 1x will be significantly faster.

Reactions: Eric_F and Luka
The g3 is nice and not too heavy for what it is but it's quite large. I'd think it would make for an odd form factor on a bolt gun. In that price range I'd be looking at higher end hunting scopes. I've looked through swaro z5 and z6 at the store and the glass and eyebox seemed really good. Higher end Leupold vx whatever might be worth looking at too. Europtic had s & b klassics for sale recently.

Hunted PA rifle season this year with the 1-10 and absolutely loved it. Used a 3-20 in years past and really wanted wider lower end. I’d definitely push you towards the 1-10 for all the stuff within 75 you mentioned. When walking around I cranked up to 2-2.5ish if there was distance and up to 3-5 for in a blind. Was very nice having the 10x for stuff 350+ to count antlers. The 1-2.5x range is really nice for in the woods, just make sure you turn illumination on and it works like a super fast red dot.

Reactions: Ryan Brownshoe
I hunt in a pretty similar way to what you described. I have the G3 and love it. I usually crank it down to 2x even on those super close shots, it’s easier to pick up branches and still be fast with it.

View attachment 7768546I’m currently debating between the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Vortex Razor 1-10x24 for my new hunting rifle.

The rifle is a .308 Remington 700, with a 16” barrel. This rifle will be primarily used to hunt whitetail deer in the North East. The average tree stand shot opportunity will be 75 yards or less. I also hunt over cut cornfields, where shots can be made out to 250-300 yards. Lastly, we conduct end of the season deer drives, where shots can get as close as 10-15 yards.

Ideally, I imagine running around 5 power for tree stand hunting, 8-10 power for hunting over fields, and 1-2 power for deer drives.
That's a very very nice looking rifle.
I'd be inclined to put a Leupold VX6 2-12 on there, mostly for aesthetics.
The ZL2 turrets on the VX scopes are pretty excellent for a hunting rifle.

The firedot duplex reticle is a sweet hunting reticle, the firedot windplex is even better if you can find one.
There were some illuminated TMOA scopes at one stage too.

I'd see if I could track down a used illuminated 2-12 and see if the custom shop could do an illuminated TMR reticle and a Mil ZL2 turret.

I tried both scopes for a similar rifle and found I prefer the NF. To my eye it did a little better in very low light and doesn’t need illumination to pick out the reticle on low power as often.
That said the G3 is a really nice optic.

I think a 1-6 or 1.5-6 would be perfect for your described ranges. 6 power is plenty for deer at 300 yards assuming you are also sporting good binoculars while you’re in the stand.

SS 1-6 has the donut of death: https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

Kahles 1-6 also has a donut of death and here’s a demo. Better glass. https://www.eurooptic.com/kahles-k-1-6x24-illuminated-sm1-reticle-10515-like-new-demo.aspx

At a higher price point, the S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 gives you red dot illumination for driven hunts, plus the glass is fantastic at early and late hours. 42mm objective helps with light gathering. https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-zenith-15-6x42-fd7-rifle-scope.aspx

Reactions: 338dude
S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42
MeoStar R1 1.5-6x42 RD

That being said, I run a VX6HD 1-6 firedot on my ultra lite farm gun mostly for coyote, bobcats and others preds for 10-200 yards and it’s perfect for what it is. Very bright in low light.

Reactions: Stoweit
Thank you all for posting your thoughts and recommendations, please keep them coming.

My thoughts on the Razor 1-10x. I believe it will be good for quick shots on 1x, and great at 8-10x for longer shots. I guess I'm just worried that with it being FFP, will it be difficult to pick up the reticle at say 4-5 power?

As for the NF 2.5-10x, my only concern is that the turrets are not capped.

I'll check out some of the other options you guys have listed. I'm probably not going to pull the trigger until the spring.

Thanks again

Id be worried about exit pupil and eye box on a 10x24 max power

Reactions: macmo
I like the carbon fiber barrel and the wood stock. I’ve never seen one like that before. That brake is gonna suck though but I’m biased considering I don’t like them on anything. I’m assuming you wear electronic muffs considering you guys do deer drives.

I wouldn’t want anything FFP for the use you described. It could probably work if you leave on the illumination though. I would rather have a gen 2 E razor than the 1-10 on that rifle. Out of the two choices you gave the NF would fit the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigwatchpilot
I’m biased, but I have two NF 2.5-10’s on different rifles.

I have the 24mm on a Browning BAR 30-06 that I use more as a woods gun.
I have the 42mm on a Barrett Fieldcraft 308.

Thank you all for posting your thoughts and recommendations, please keep them coming.

My thoughts on the Razor 1-10x. I believe it will be good for quick shots on 1x, and great at 8-10x for longer shots. I guess I'm just worried that with it being FFP, will it be difficult to pick up the reticle at say 4-5 power?

As for the NF 2.5-10x, my only concern is that the turrets are not capped.

I'll check out some of the other options you guys have listed. I'm probably not going to pull the trigger until the spring.

Thanks again
Vx6hd 2-12 or vx5hd 2-10 firedot will have either capped or locking turrets.

i think that nf 2.5-10x42 is the brightest/clearest scope i've every looked thru! like said above, that vortex 24mm objective at 10x might not be the best at first and last light, but i do have their 1-6 razor for 2 & 3 gun and it's a solid scope in all aspects.

I wouldn’t want anything FFP for the use you described. It could probably work if you leave on the illumination though. I would rather have a gen 2 E razor than the 1-10 on that rifle.
Normally I would agree with you, but have you looked through the G3 Razor? It's one of very few FFP LPVO's that has a reticle bold enough to be usable on 1x. And I'm saying that as a big G2 1-6x fan.

Reactions: jwramp
Normally I would agree with you, but have you looked through the G3 Razor? It's one of very few FFP LPVO's that has a reticle bold enough to be usable on 1x. And I'm saying that as a big G2 1-6x fan.
I haven’t looked through a Gen 3 razor although I want one for my .308. I have Gen 2 E models. If the reticle is usable on 1x in the woods without illumination then I put my foot in my mouth didn’t I?

I haven’t looked through a Gen 3 razor although I want one for my .308. I have Gen 2 E models. If the reticle is usable on 1x in the woods without illumination then I put my foot in my mouth didn’t I?
It's still subjective enough that once you see one you may still disagree with me, I generally hate FFP LPVO's so I think we're coming from the same place, but this one has changed my mind to some extent. That said I would probably always use at least some illumination by default because I like it at 1x.

NF 2.5-10x42 with a mini dot on top for your deer drives. You’ll hate the small 24mm objective in the woods at dusk and dawn. The NF and the dot should cost about the same as the Razor.

Leica Magnus 1.5-10 and 1.8-12 are everyones favorite scope to use at my house as far as FOV and Glass. Runner up is the VX5/6 HD with Firedot, everyone loves the illumination and I like the locking turrets and WEIGHT!. I have had NF NXS, ATACR, and SHV...they are OK but they are not my favorite to hunt with especially in timber/woods. I still have the 4-16 ATACR and 3-10 SHV they work and the NF 'looks cool factor...I'm a sniper in the woods thang'.

Old School Trijicon 1-6 with triangle post was always known for speed on target and good glass...but I have never owned one.

Reactions: Bakwa and st1650
Your use case sorta has the now discontinued Vortex Razor HD-LHT 1.5-8x32 written all over it. I have two of these little scopes and I am really happy with them.
If your budget is $2k or so, I would really lean toward stretching it a little more and getting Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42.
Between your two options, it really comes down to what you use more: 1x or 10x? 2.5-10x42 will be notably more usable on 10x in fading light, while 1-10x24 will be a lot faster on low power.

ILya

Your use case sorta has the now discontinued Vortex Razor HD-LHT 1.5-8x32 written all over it. I have two of these little scopes and I am really happy with them.
If your budget is $2k or so, I would really lean toward stretching it a little more and getting Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42.
Between your two options, it really comes down to what you use more: 1x or 10x? 2.5-10x42 will be notably more usable on 10x in fading light, while 1-10x24 will be a lot faster on low power.

ILya

Any chance you've been behind the Meopta Meostar R2 1.7-10? Thoughts?

Reactions: bobke
I have 4 of the Gen3 1-10 on various hunting rifles. I actually have 2 extra sitting here as well. I probably should sell the extras as I don't need another hunting rifle. Or do I??? Either way. I love mine.

Rzr 3 is an excellent optic, i own a few as welll as some NF and have to say its very impressive and well within your budget order from liberty optics

Last edited:
Every time I think I’ve made up my mind, I check this thread and change how I feel. It seems like people are extremely happy with both! I really wish I could just look through them both.

I’m still really hung up on my feelings on FFP for my style of hunting. I just worry about how useable the reticle is at lower power.

Gonna look into that Leica Magnus!

On the bright side all the scopes suggest are excellent. If you buy secondhand you can likely try any/all of them and sell if it isn’t right for you.

Every time I think I’ve made up my mind, I check this thread and change how I feel. It seems like people are extremely happy with both! I really wish I could just look through them both.

I’m still really hung up on my feelings on FFP for my style of hunting. I just worry about how useable the reticle is at lower power.

The Magnus is not a perfect scope and if I had input there would be a few things I would change. BUT...for how I really hunt or with my kids, it is the nicest Apha/Tier 1 glass I have looked through (for my eyes) I'm an airline pilot and am picky with what I look through at work and I picked 2 of these up after ILya gave his review/opinion on it.

I'll post a picture of the rifle I have it on...similar set up to what you have surprisingly. I hunt woods and small open tree lines from point blank to 250 yards at my farm. In the woods with shadows, branches, and high contrast light to dark...I can put my Swaro binos down and glass with this.

I do have a Vortex Razor 4.5-22 for my FFP/Hybrid/Long range setup to do everything with. It does do everything really well...but I would not say anything is perfect. I do like the VX5HD for several reasons...my NF always gets the girls attention at the range.

At the end of the day of all the guns to chose from when I open the safe I pick mostly one of these: AR (MSR) in 6.5 Grendel with 1.5-10 Magnus or my Tikka 18" 6.5 Creedmoor with beautiful wood stock in a 1.8-12 Magnus. My DTA, custom Origin builds, and countless others go to a long range class or range a few times a year. I do hunt a few times a year with my vintage Colt/Sauer rifles...but that is more sentimental.

Reactions: st1650
I was in the same boat. Was considering a 1-10 rzr gen3 and the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. It was for a 20" 6.5cm hunting rifle that I'd use for the woods. I ended up going Nightforce and have been completely happy. I was concerned about the ffp on the lower power and needing illumination to be usable. Wondered if you had to either have the illumination on all the time or turn it on before you shot.

@bigwatchpilot.

What would you change with the Leica Magnus? I've been eyeing these up.

Other than a S&B T96 Polar... the Magnus has everything I want.

@bigwatchpilot.

What would you change with the Leica Magnus? I've been eyeing these up.

Other than a S&B T96 Polar... the Magnus has everything I want.

The L-4A reticle is thin and would not mind a little bolder but mine is NOT illuminated and that would be the fix. The exposed ballistic turret is in cm, no big deal really I have MIL and MOA and now CM. My apps tell me what to dial to I know how it works but it would be nice if it was in MIL or MOA.

Build quality is better than my S&B. Glass is my favorite. FOV can't be beat. Zero stop...very easy. I hold more than I dial when hunting with this short rifle. Size is nice, not to short and not to long. If I buy another it will be capped turrets and illuminated. Then I'll be happier...

Here is the 1.5-10x42 on my 6.5 Grendel that I shot a little buck over Thanksgiving break at our place in Tennessee.

leica.jpg

The L-4A reticle is thin and would not mind a little bolder but mine is NOT illuminated and that would be the fix. The exposed ballistic turret is in cm, no big deal really I have MIL and MOA and now CM. My apps tell me what to dial to I know how it works but it would be nice if it was in MIL or MOA.

Build quality is better than my S&B. Glass is my favorite. FOV can't be beat. Zero stop...very easy. I hold more than I dial when hunting with this short rifle. Size is nice, not to short and not to long. If I buy another it will be capped turrets and illuminated. Then I'll be happier...

Here is the 1.5-10x42 on my 6.5 Grendel that I shot a little buck over Thanksgiving break at our place in Tennessee.

View attachment 7769968
I don’t follow the reticle part, aren’t mil and cm the same thing? Is the turret cw rather than ccw?

I don’t follow the reticle part, aren’t mil and cm the same thing? Is the turret cw rather than ccw?

The reticle part...the lines are very thin for crosshairs I would not mind a thicker more bold crosshair.

As far as the turrets go CM and MILS/MRAD close enough just like MOA and Inches, it's just another method and numbering system to divide 360 degrees, it turns CW.

The reticle part...the lines are very thin for crosshairs I would not mind a thicker more bold crosshair.

As far as the turrets go CM and MILS/MRAD close enough just like MOA and Inches, it's just another method and numbering system to divide 360 degrees, it turns CW.

1 CM at 100 meters (which is what I assume the markings are) is exactly 0.1mrad. Between MOA and inches, there is an actual difference; it is close, but not identical.

ILya

With a well designed reticle visibility at low power isn't really a problem with FFP until very low light, then illumination is a must have IMO.

Issue is there aren't many FFP 2-10ish scopes in the market and many 2/3-10/15 scopes don't have reticles designed to work well at low magnification.
LPVOs are an obvious exception but they come with the disadvantage of a small objective lens.

If you don't need FFP then a SFP scope is definitely the safer bet for a 2-10 scope and there are vastly more choices.

I sold my NF for a T96. It’s an incredible scope.
If I had 3k to put on a dedicated hunting build for low light I’d get a 2.5-10x50 T96 polar with illum.
10x is plenty of mag power inside of 500 yards. We’re getting spoiled with our 20x-29x high power scopes but with a bit of practice, shooting a deer at 300 yards at 6x power isn’t that big of a deal. I’ve shot coyotes at 200 yards with a 3x chevron acog ta33.
I got the little brother, the illuminated 3-12x42 mil/mil FFP klassik precision hunter for a 7mm-08 lightweight build and it’s an amazing value for more than 1/2 of the price of the T96. I would have preferred a 2.5-10 or 2-8 for the extra fov but they didn’t have the mil/mil, FFP and illum on that one.

If I had 3k to put on a dedicated hunting build for low light I’d get a 2.5-10x50 T96 polar with illum.
10x is plenty of mag power inside of 500 yards. We’re getting spoiled with our 20x-29x high power scopes but with a bit of practice, shooting a deer at 300 yards at 6x power isn’t that big of a deal. I’ve shot coyotes at 200 yards with a 3x chevron acog ta33.
I got the little brother, the illuminated 3-12x42 mil/mil FFP klassik precision hunter for a 7mm-08 lightweight build and it’s an amazing value for more than 1/2 of the price of the T96. I would have preferred a 2.5-10 or 2-8 for the extra fov but they didn’t have the mil/mil, FFP and illum on that one.
I picked up my T96 2.5-10x50 for an insane deal in the used optic forum. Currently it’s getting upgraded to a ballistic elevation turret from S&B for a very reasonable price.

I’m considering grabbing a Klassik for a .30-.06 that needs glass.