• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NXS 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 (.223)

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
I'm debating between a NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50 or a NF 5.5-22 x 50. What would you guys use on a Noveske Recon 16" AR15? It will mostly be used for open field paper punching and varmint ie. groundhogs. Also I plan to switch the scope to a .308 bolt gun at some point. Any thoughts?

Re: NXS 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 (.223)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm debating between a NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50 or a NF 5.5-22 x 50. What would you guys use on a Noveske Recon 16" AR15? It will mostly be used for open field paper punching and varmint ie. groundhogs. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also I plan to switch the scope to a .308 bolt gun at some point.</span> Any thoughts? </div></div>

If I were you, I'd get the 5.5-22x50mm. I'm sure there others will chime in and either agree/disagree but personally, I want a good all-around scope for the close-up shots as well as the long range.

For a Noveske Recon 16" AR15 I would put a NXS 2.5-10x32mm, or a scope in that class power range or LESS. You have fine weapon for shooting 600 yds or less. Don't need 22x power or even 15x for that.

Just IMHO,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a Noveske Recon 16" AR15 I would put a NXS 2.5-10x32mm, or a scope in that class power range or LESS. You have fine weapon for shooting 600 yds or less. Don't need 22x power or even 15x for that.

Just IMHO,

Bob

</div></div>

I agree with Bob. At the most, I would get a 3.5-15x50mm. Ideally, I'd go with something even lower power so you can use it "around the house". USO makes a few versions of 1.8-10x. I haven't looked through them, but that would be a pretty ideal range of magnification in my opinion.

I would get the 5.5-22. You will probably not have too much use for 3.5x and/or the corresponding larger field of view. 22x is nice for target shooting at paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a Noveske Recon 16" AR15 I would put a NXS 2.5-10x32mm, or a scope in that class power range or LESS. You have fine weapon for shooting 600 yds or less. Don't need 22x power or even 15x for that.

Just IMHO,

Bob

</div></div>

I completely agree. I have a 2.5-10, a 3.5-15 and a 5.5-22.

All of them have been on my AR15 to try out this exact question. The 2.5-10x32 NPR2 is what is on the AR15 for the past 4 months and it's staying there. I shot it out to 1275 yd 2 weekends ago and I could see the 75 Amax's hitting at 10x.

The 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 are just too much scope for a mid length AR15.

Even woodchucks at 1000yd are easily visible with a 10x and I've dusted clay pidgeons at a grand with my bolt 223 running the 2.5-10x32 for a test.

If you're eventually going to run it on a 308 bolt gun and you only want to purchase 1 scope then get a 3.5-15

I have a 3.5-15 on my LR-260 and my 30-06. I've used both to engage 12x12" targets past 1650yd and I have absolutely no trouble with the optics at those distances. At 1k I find no qualms shooting there. Hits are very easy to see and the trace is easy to watch too.

I have relegated the 5.5-22 for the dedicated LR bolt guns, it's just way too much scope for the AR15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get the 22x. It's a bit much but the extra magnification will be nice for varminting.

It will look huge on top of a 16" AR though. </div></div>

It's going to be big, no different than a 3.5-15 though.

I had a NXS 2.5-10 just felt it was underpowered for my particular needs. I always had it on 10x . I'm looking to shoot small and far. Like groundhogs at 400yds. For tactical and medium game shooting there is no doubt the NXS 2.5-10 is king, but I'm not doing either. I'm looking at precision and distance on small targets. Looks are my last concern and weight is non issue as well. Will mostly be static shooting. Plus I want to put this scope on a .308 bolt gun at some point. The AR15 will be a temporary home. Need a scope I can grow with. Planning onthe NP-R1 reticle with MOA turrets.

Just IMHO,

Bob

</div></div>

i vote for the 3.5-15 after owning a 5.5-22

In Texas with the mirage I don't get to use the full 22x and with the last comp shot and some move and shoot with bolt gun on 40-50 yard targets the 3x on the XTR we had was very nice

I would venture to say the furthest you would shoot a ground hog with a 16" 5.56 is 450-600 and 15x will be enough

But what about the range on a .308 being in the 800 yard area. Seems the x22 power would come in handy then. My thought is you can always dial down on the x 22 but you can't dial up beyond the x 15. If I had the dough I would get both, but that's not happening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would venture to say the furthest you would shoot a ground hog with a 16" 5.56 is 450-600 and 15x will be enough</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a NXS 2.5-10 just felt it was underpowered for my particular needs. I always had it on 10x . I'm looking to shoot small and far. Like groundhogs at 400yds. For tactical and medium game shooting there is no doubt the NXS 2.5-10 is king, but I'm not doing either. I'm looking at precision and distance on small targets. Looks are my last concern and weight is non issue as well. Will mostly be static shooting. Plus I want to put this scope on a .308 bolt gun at some point. The AR15 will be a temporary home. Need a scope I can grow with. Planning onthe NP-R1 reticle with MOA turrets.

Just IMHO,

Bob

</div></div> </div></div>

Camaroguy,

Sounds like you know what you want and why. As to shooting small targets at range, here's some numbers to keep in mind:

@ 400 yds. through a 10x scope a target will appear the same size as viewing it at 40 yds through your naked eye.

@400 yds. through a 15x scope the target will appear the same size as viewing it at 27 yds through your naked eye.

The extra 5x only buys you 13 yds of apparent view of a 400 yd target.

Really even mentioning the scopes use an an AR15 is leading everyone down the wrong path. A scope of the size and power of a NXS 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 is the wrong tool on a compact AR in any event, for most any use.

What you really want is a good scope for a bolt rifle. In that case either of the NXS will do fine. The critcal factor should be the low end, and FOV needed for whatever use you have for your bolt gun, not the AR.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Bob

I have the 22x and wish I had gone with the 15x. The competitions I shoot are all timed and trying to find the small chunks of steel can be difficult to find with the smaller FOV of the 22x. Also the mirage can be awful. Keep in mind the NXS's reticle is only accurte at the the highest power(ish). I for one think that no good can come from touching the windage knob, so myself and virtually everyone I shoot with uses holdovers for wind. On a hot day with the mirage kicking, the 22x is just too much while the 15x seems to be about perfect for using the holdovers.

I was in the exact same boat - equipping a current 556/223 Noveske 16" Recce Low Profile AR15 for later transfer to a likely 308 or other dedicated long range. I already had a Trijicon ACOG TA31F 4x32 on a Larue QD, so I was really looking for something with more mag.

I initally purchased a NF 3.5-15x50 Mil-Dot, MRAD z-stop and then returned it for full refund and purchased an USO SN3 3.2-17x44 (20th anniversary) when someone backed out. Both the USO and NF are very nice.

It is not likely that you will use the AR15 for only long distance due to limitations of the 556/223 round. Being more of a tactical, so you might not like the low end 5.5 mag. When I debated this, I went with the 3.5-15x50 route.

If you start looking at the F1 NF model for FFP, then also give a look at other manufacturers with FFP since there is a pretty big price jump from SFP to FFP with NF.

I normally like a 22x on everything but I don't on any AR platform. I would go with the 3.5-15.
If $$ were no object, tho, I would look at the Hensoldt 4-16, as it is a very compact and stout unit.

At for a 16" I feel the 5.5-22x will be over kill. The 2.5-10x32mm would be a better way to go for a 16". Knowing you are going to be moving it over to a 308 down the road I would say 3.5-15x50mm would be the why to go.

NF-FFP6.jpg

AR10-NF1032m.jpg

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 22x and wish I had gone with the 15x. The competitions I shoot are all timed and trying to find the small chunks of steel can be difficult to find with the smaller FOV of the 22x. Also the mirage can be awful. <span style="font-weight: bold">Keep in mind the NXS's reticle is only accurate at the the highest power(ish)</span>. I for one think that no good can come from touching the windage knob, so myself and virtually everyone I shoot with uses holdovers for wind. On a hot day with the mirage kicking, the 22x is just too much while the 15x seems to be about perfect for using the holdovers.
</div></div>

Can someone please explain this post to me? Why is the NXS only accurate at it's peak magnification?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm debating between a NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50 or a NF 5.5-22 x 50. What would you guys use on a Noveske Recon 16" AR15? It will mostly be used for open field paper punching and varmint ie. groundhogs. Also I plan to switch the scope to a .308 bolt gun at some point. Any thoughts? </div></div>

You could always try to duplicate this rig in all its tacticool goodness:
tacticoolAR15.jpg

The ultimate in "tacticool". Lightweight too!

I had a 5.5-22x56 on an AR... too much the 2.5-10 will do wonders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At for a 16" I feel the 5.5-22x will be over kill. The 2.5-10x32mm would be a better way to go for a 16". Knowing you are going to be moving it over to a 308 down the road I would say 3.5-15x50mm would be the why to go.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

What mike said... I was in the same boat... I didn't want the 22x. I know it's more of the though.. I only have to spend xxx more... but it's the functionality of it. 3.5-15x will work fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm debating between a NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50 or a NF 5.5-22 x 50. What would you guys use on a Noveske Recon 16" AR15? It will mostly be used for open field paper punching and varmint ie. groundhogs. Also I plan to switch the scope to a .308 bolt gun at some point. Any thoughts?</div></div>

I'm in the same situation as you. I have Larue OBR 556 with 16" barrel. Probably will only shoot to 600 yards max. I plan to get 700 LTR but no time real soon.

I saw how largee a guys NXS 3.5x22x56 was at our range yesterday. It was mounted on a bolt rifle and the scope still seemed real big.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a Noveske Recon 16" AR15 I would put a NXS 2.5-10x32mm, or a scope in that class power range or LESS. You have fine weapon for shooting 600 yds or less. Don't need 22x power or even 15x for that.
Just IMHO,
Bob</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm starting to think that 15x or 22x is to big. What about a fixed 10 power scope? I already have 1x4 Accupoint mount on a QR mount.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At for a 16" I feel the 5.5-22x will be over kill. The 2.5-10x32mm would be a better way to go for a 16". Knowing you are going to be moving it over to a 308 down the road I would say 3.5-15x50mm would be the why to go.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Same question I asked Bob above regarding 10x. What do you think about that?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 22x and wish I had gone with the 15x. The competitions I shoot are all timed and trying to find the small chunks of steel can be difficult to find with the smaller FOV of the 22x. Also the mirage can be awful. <span style="font-weight: bold">Keep in mind the NXS's reticle is only accurate at the the highest power(ish)</span>. I for one think that no good can come from touching the windage knob, so myself and virtually everyone I shoot with uses holdovers for wind. On a hot day with the mirage kicking, the 22x is just too much while the 15x seems to be about perfect for using the holdovers.
</div></div>

Can someone please explain this post to me? Why is the NXS only accurate at it's peak magnification? </div></div>

Because it's a second focal plane scope. All SFP scopes will only have accurate reticle subtensions at one certain magnification, not just the NXS.