• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NXS or Mark 4? PIC Posted!

105amatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Asleep in KS
I am looking at getting either the NXS 5.5x22x56 or the Mark 4 8.5x25x50. I know the NXS has 100 MOA elevation and the Mark 4 has 70MOA. I like the variety of reticles that NF has, but I have Leupold glass on all my other rifles. My rifle is chambered in 6.5x284. I am torn, any input would be appreciated.

-Matt

Re: NXS or Mark 4?

Nightforce, I have the Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T FFP TMR reticle and I like the NXS better. I don't dislike it by any means, I actually love my Leupold, but the Nightforce I will admit is a little better. Also, my Mark 4 has 84 MOA lol at least thats what my turrets tell me.

I am kinda leaning on the NXS, I like the larger objective and the shorter fatter knobs.

I like my leupold, but for the price I would buy the nxs. I can't tell a huge difference, but the nightforce offers more reticle choices.

I personally don't care for the 56mm, I would go with the 50mm.

Leupold vs. Nightforce?? Not a contest as far as I am concerned... NXS all the way!! The NXS has all the features I could or would ask for... and more.

DK

NXS all the way. I have both as well, but the NXS is more user friendly, and is able to take more abuse but stay dead on.

I've been a loyal Leupold owner since 1980, and currently have 3 Mark 4 equipped rifles. I recently picked up a USO here on the Hide, and all I can say is I wish I would have taken a chance on another brand sooner.

Don't get me wrong, a Mark 4 is a decent scope, but there are a lot better scopes out there. I wouldn't hesitate to give the Nightforce a try, as their glass has a very good reputation.

I have owned both. I got rid of the 8.5 becuase of the eye relief. It was horrible to say the best. I have my Nighforce and absolutley love it. Clear from 5.5 all the way to 22. My vote is 100% for the NF!!

I would have to agree with going with the NF. I just recently bought a couple of NF and had a Mark 4's up until then. I had good luck with the Mark 4's but the NF is definitely a couple steps up in quality.

Again, and I say again because people new to this forum always post, and others new to this forum always answer, without<span style="font-style: italic"> any </span>mention of what the rifle will be used for or what the person asking the question wants to achieve with the chosen setup.

Is the question: Which is the better scope brand, NF or Leupold?
Or: Which do <span style="font-style: italic">you </span>like better, NF or Leupold?
If so, then please spare the waste of bandwidth.
If not, then what, exactly, does the OP want to know?

Please, folks, can we agree that if you want to ask others about something it helps to at least show the common courtesy that you have thought the question through and are willing to articulate it in a way that helps other people give you the answers that you say you need.

With reference to Graham ...

I own both the Mark4 LRT 4.5-14 and I just took deliver on the NXS 5.5-22 HSZS

Both are quality scopes and the fit and finish are near perfect.

I prefer the NXS as it appears to be a clearer image-- I do not have any hard data to justify this, however I had them side by side looking at the same image and I thought that the NXS was a bit clearer. At the end of the day you need a scope that will show you the target, and you need to rely on its accuracy.

Both will fit the need--but if you ask my opinion on which I would buy again ... I would say NXS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally don't care for the 56mm, I would go with the 50mm.

Leupold vs. Nightforce?? Not a contest as far as I am concerned... NXS all the way!! The NXS has all the features I could or would ask for... and more.

DK </div></div>

Can the human eye notice the difference in the 50 and the 56? The amount of light can't be much? The field of view is the same, so whats the advantage?

deerkllr,

During daytime shooting there is no difference, at least I can not see it. But at dusk or near dark situations, that is where it makes a difference. When we were shooting near dusk with my 50 I could not make out the target. When I moved over to a friends weapon that had the 56 I could clearly see it. Further, that would translate that with the 56 I would be able to move up in power slightly where the 50 could not. Again I am not saying one is better over the other ... but that is the advantage. Since I do a lot of Dusk and limited light shooting -- I purchased the 56mm.

NXS.

Be torn no more... Let go of being loyal to Loopy and try something that is not only better, but will also give you a taste of the quality other manufacturers out there dish out.

NXS. I recently upgraded to Nightforce courtesy of Euro Optics. Go NF and don't look back.

what style of shooting are you looking to do?
What ranges do you expect to engage target at?
What size targets are you looking to engage?
Will your rifle strictly go from safe to car, car to bench, or will it see the field?

Clarity of glass is. Nice attribute and if shooting in poor light and there was a need to resolve specific target details then glass clarity would go higher on the list of important attributes, but accuracy or reticle and movement along with rugedness would far surpass clarity on my list.

I have directly compaired my NXS to Zeiss , Hensoldt , Schmidt , Leupold MK4 , IOR (wanst new 4 years old , dont know if they have changed anything since) and I would take my NXS over any of them. These comparisons were over a period of time in many different conditions. I would recomend the high speed turrets, cant wait untill thay are on the 22x! That is my opnion but honestly you will not go wrong with any of these scopes. Just pick the one that fits your application best.

Thanks for the great input fellas, you guys are really leaning me towards the NXS. I use my rifle for shooting paper, steel, and other targets. Also, it will be seeing time in the deer fields, the prairie dog towns, and some coyote hunts. It does and will get dirty, right now I have a NF BR model on it. I really like the BR model, but I worry about the dust and dirt getting into the AO and I want the external knobs. Also the BR model has only 40 MOA of elevation in it. I just sold that scope to a guy, so as soon as his money shows up I will order a replacement. I have these crazy ideas of shooting p-dogs and steel past a 1000 yards.

-Matt

I have both the 5.5-22x50 and 5.5-22x56 and I have put them side by side during dusk and watched a spec of rust on a pipe on a building 180 yards away and couldn't tell the difference. They both went away at the same time. The 50 is smaller and looks better on a smaller rifle. It's also 1 or 2 ounces lighter.

The Leupold bottom mag is 8.5, that is a negative. Nice to have at least 6 on the lower mag so you can find the target. The Leupold weighing less, that is a positive. For tactical shooting matches that I do, 22 is really MORE mag than I need, though it is nice for other stuff (benchrest and practice and reading mirage). My only real criticism of the Nightforce is the way the magnifcation ring turns the whole enchilada. It is awkward. But, not scope is perfect.

As for reticle, I have the NPR1 and I wish I had 1 moa marks on the horizontal instead of just the vertical. Other than that, Nightforce 5.5-22x50 is just fine.

You might also check out the Vortex Razor, but if that dont float your boat, get the NXS hands down, its better than the mark 4 in every way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerkllr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally don't care for the 56mm, I would go with the 50mm.

DK </div></div>

Can the human eye notice the difference in the 50 and the 56? The amount of light can't be much? The field of view is the same, so whats the advantage? </div></div>

I have both on two different rifles, in low light shooting, the 56 is much brighter. I figure that I get maybe 15 to 20 min of shooting time here in Alaska in the fall.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a Mk4 and love the scope but when I drive my friends NXS equipped rifle I can see the NXS is better. I'm going to swap out my Mk4 for an NXS soon. The Mk4 is going on my sons first rifle.

I have two Night Forces in 5.5 x 22 x 56mm..... Our sons shoot the Mk4 Leupold, and I have looked through them both, but really prefer the Night Force, they are built very tough and work well...

Nightforce it is then! Any opinions on a reticle choice? I've looked through the NP-R2, but no others.

-Matt

One more thought, I am sure you probably already knew about but I will throw it out anyway.

Be sure to match your reticle and turret. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA

I have 3 MARK 4's with MIL DOT reticles and MOA turrets and it gets to be a hassle. I will be selling them and replacing them with MIL/MIL scopes..BTW - the Nightforce MLR2 reticle looks sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NXS, no contest. </div></div>

+1

I have both NXS and Mk IV, and soon to be S&B. I must say that I would favor the NXS over the Mk IV. The clarity is much better, in my opinion. Also, all NXS come with illuminated reticle.

I like the NXS and I have been through both. To my eyes the NXS is a little better and the turrets feel better too. The only thing I dislike about the NXS is that increasing the magnification turns the whole eyepiece which sucks when you have a scope cap. I always had to take it off whenever I was using the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muliemandan1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ANOTHER VOTE FOR THE NXS </div></div>
+1

Well folks, I ordered my scope today. After a lot of thought, the NXS won out. I decided I liked the reticle better, the turrets better, and there is more elevation in the NXS. I got the NXS 5.5x22x56mm, NP-R2, no high speed, no zero stop. It should be here soon, I'll let you guys know. I will try to post up a picture too. Thanks for all the advice and help fellas.

-Matt

I have spent a lot of time comparing my Mark IV with my IOR scopes.

The color resolution is better with Leupold.
The detail resolution is better with IOR.

Picking out a brown ground squirrel on brown dirt at 200 yards is not easy. There are a few Golden stripes. Other than that, I must wait for the animal to move to acquire the target. Leupold wins at this.

Resolving .224" holes in dim light on a paper target at 100 yards is not always easy, but the IOR on 10X makes it look easier than a Leupold on 12X.

Well, Midway dropped the ball and over sold the scope I wanted. They sent me an email stating they had over sold the model of scope I wanted, cancelled my order and had issued a credit to my account. So, who should I buy my scope from now? I am through with Midway for a while.

-Matt

Give Euro Optic a call. Chances are Alex and Jason will beat midways price anyway. Spend the savings and get the zero stop, you won't regret it.

And go with the High Speed and Zero stop ... you wont be sorry...

I have a Mark 4 for sale right now. For me the two are very close. But I don't work with my rifles, it's just a hobby!

The more I look, the more it looks like non hi-speed NXS scopes are not in stock a lot of places. Are they being phased out?

If you insist on non high speed (not sure why?) Euro optic has the 5.5-22X50 with NPR2 in stock with the non high speed knobs. The high speed knobs are the same price though, but they may make you a better deal on the old knobs.

But yes I believe NF stopped making the other knobs all together I'm pretty sure, I know all the zero stop models are high speed now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cap-Kilo66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Mk4 8.5-25 w/ illuminated TMR, I'll sell it to you for a good price. Good scope, I shoot good groups with it. Only 60 rounds with it. I want to go mil/mil. </div></div>

READ THE RULES, DOUCHENOZZLE!!!!!