• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nylon String?

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I know I am geeking out on some stupid stuff, but I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the different types of nylon string and why one would be better than the other.

Last year when I grew my tomatoes I used some mason's string from the local hardware store. There was a lot that I like about it but other things that I didn't. The main thing that I did not like was tying knots was a pain. It would unravel the knot and more or less was 'resistant' to holding a knot. It seemed like it was a bit 'stiffer' than the old trotline string I used to use as a kid.

Of course as I practiced my googlefu I now have more questions than answers. People are talking about tarred lines and bank lines and all sorts of stuff.

Also just in case you were wondering, I am not interested in jute or cotton butcher's twine. I want to use a stronger line that can hold up much better to the elements.

The only other criteria I have is that the diameter of the string needs to allow me to use tomato clips on it.

For just retail hardware store purchasing . ( off top of my head ) There is just cheep garden white polyethylene line for just stringing garden vegies.
Braided line is a lot nicer than just Twist line . Nylon gets more UV damage faster outdoors . Nylon stronger than Poly. but Poly is more UV resistant , Braided has a lot more stretch over twisted line . If you can find it anymore ? There was some rolls of braided line out there that was a Nylon and Dacron mix, braided that was great. we just called it 'salt and pepper'. but it was the shit to git if you can find it .
Looking/shopping for high-end-$ line that abrasive resistant, strong test. Very static qualities. There is some Spectra, and Vectran fiber lines made out there that are pretty Thin braided, high static, ultra strength. Then you got the Aramid fiber lines like Kevlar and Nomex that are pretty strong, high static and thin braided.

Last edited:
Not sure how strong you need to go and probably more expensive but there is arborist throw line. Not sure how uv resistant some of it is. Generally made from spectra or dyneema. Can be had in 1/16". Look up Wesspur.

I know I got some pretty stout nylon from JoAnns years ago. I was trying to reinforce and repair a pack that I liked. Got some olive green colored nylon thread and leatherworking needles.

Was impressively strong. Don't remember anything else about it though.

Tarred braided bank line works well and lasts a couple of seasons. We use it for a lot of outdoor lashing around the homestead.

Electric fence wire works great as a truss for tomato, cucmber, and other small climbers.

We’ve now switched to using cattle panels as trusses in our kitchen garden (about an acre sized plot, all in). Cattle panels carry the load very well even in windy conditions. Configurations are limited only by imagination.

Masons line but look for the braided type. I don;t think you can break it by hand without cutting yourself even through leather gloves...you can pull it very tight. If you cut it, singe the end. If your knots aren't holding, wrong knot.

Of course, there is also braided dacron as used for deep sea and off-shore fishing reels. You can get it in many different weight classes.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Tarred bank line. Get the good U.S. made stuff and not that garbage chai-knee stuff.

Tarred bankline works for me. It's a bit messy when handling, but it holds up well.
Tarred braided bank line works well and lasts a couple of seasons. We use it for a lot of outdoor lashing around the homestead.
Tarred bank line. Get the good U.S. made stuff and not that garbage chai-knee stuff.

I have been hearing about 'tarred bankline'. Not sure what the tar does... but the fact that it can be messy kind of rules it out for my specific application.

Just as a general question though, why do people want tar on their strings? It could make them last longer maybe. For my application if it lasts 7-8 months or so, then I am happy.

We’ve now switched to using cattle panels as trusses in our kitchen garden (about an acre sized plot, all in). Cattle panels carry the load very well even in windy conditions. Configurations are limited only by imagination.
I used cattle panels last year and I like them. I had a little bit different of a setup last year, not the typical vertical setup. I am trying something new this year...we will see how it goes.
For just retail hardware store purchasing . ( off top of my head ) There is just cheep garden white polyethylene line for just stringing garden vegies.
Braided line is a lot nicer than just Twist line . Nylon gets more UV damage faster outdoors . Nylon stronger than Poly. but Poly is more UV resistant , Braided has a lot more stretch over twisted line . If you can find it anymore ? There was some rolls of braided line out there that was a Nylon and Dacron mix, braided that was great. we just called it 'salt and pepper'. but it was the shit to git if you can find it .
Looking/shopping for high-end-$ line that abrasive resistant, strong test. Very static qualities. There is some Spectra, and Vectran fiber lines made out there that are pretty Thin braided, high static, ultra strength. Then you got the Aramid fiber lines like Kevlar and Nomex that are pretty strong, high static and thin braided.
I would prefer a little 'less' stretch... which that mason line was not stretchy at all. I like that about it. It's just that particular version of it was terrible about holding a knot. It's not the end of the world by any means so I could just use that again if I am forced to.
Also I don't need 'the best of all worlds'. 100lb test that is somewhat durable enough to last 7-8 months outside is fine.

I have been hearing about 'tarred bankline'. Not sure what the tar does... but the fact that it can be messy kind of rules it out for my specific application.

Just as a general question though, why do people want tar on their strings? It could make them last longer maybe. For my application if it lasts 7-8 months or so, then I am happy.

I used cattle panels last year and I like them. I had a little bit different of a setup last year, not the typical vertical setup. I am trying something new this year...we will see how it goes.

I would prefer a little 'less' stretch... which that mason line was not stretchy at all. I like that about it. It's just that particular version of it was terrible about holding a knot. It's not the end of the world by any means so I could just use that again if I am forced to.
Also I don't need 'the best of all worlds'. 100lb test that is somewhat durable enough to last 7-8 months outside is fine.
The tar protects the string from the elements. It will last far longer than 7-8 months.
Here's a place to get it fairly cheap.

Reactions: mtrmn
We used rolls of baling twine.when I was helping FIL truck farm.
we used strips of plastic bread bags and plastic shopping bags to tie off maters to horizontal lines.
We tied hundreds of plants up this way.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I'd grab a spool of CWC round bailer twine as mentioned. UV and abrasion resistant, 110# knot, and 20000 ft will run you $41.95. I bet it would last a lifetime in a garden application.

Newbs, sounds like the lot of you never grew 'maters'.

Go to homie de-pot and get a tub of electricians pulling line.
It's dirt cheap, lasts forever, holds knots well, and is weatherproof to boot.

Reactions: softcock
This is what we use. You can get it at Lowe's. Ties easily and doesn't cut into the plants. We also use cattle panels instead of tomato stakes.
PXL_20240222_135819795.jpg

PXL_20240222_135720923.jpg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
How are you tressiling and what tomatoes are you growing? There are lots of ways to cut this cookie depending on how you trellis and the size of your tomatoes. I.E. Some cherry tomatoes will grow 12 or 15 feet while some bush tomatoes will be hip or even knee high.

How are you tressiling and what tomatoes are you growing?
Sorry about that. I should have been more clear about the plan.

Not my images and not my garden. Borrowed these pics from the interweb for illustration purposes.

The problem I had last year is the top where it's circled in red, I had to loop it over and tie it. Then loop it again, and tie it, two or three times because that string I was using would not hold a knot.

Even then after a while I would have to tie it again sometimes. The wind and just whatever would work the knots loose.

198790450_3075158976049829_1435311191664492326_n-250e131d09c94589ad7dccb9cfbb36ad.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• 198790450_3075158976049829_1435311191664492326_n-250e131d09c94589ad7dccb9cfbb36ad.jpg
    198790450_3075158976049829_1435311191664492326_n-250e131d09c94589ad7dccb9cfbb36ad.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: IronSkillet
what tomatoes are you growing?
I am only growing indeterminate tomatoes. Last year my plants got roughly 8 foot tall. I have 3 or 4 varieties.

I am also growing one 'bush type' of tomato that only gets 3 feet tall (+- some).

Other than that, some eggplant and several varieties of peppers both sweet and hot.

I used this stuff last year. Something my wife got for some crafts that she never did. I cant find one in the package for a name. If i know her its probably the cheapest one on amazon.

I used it to Carolina weaver some determinte bush Romas. And I use it to hold up my stargazer and presidenti lillies. It stays tied. I usually like to use something I can compost, or even just chop and drop at first frost.

20230719_094607.jpg

20240222_115803.jpg

Reactions: IronSkillet
I use Lawson cordage for about everything. Rigid so it won't knot up or tangle working with it and made in the US.

Get a roll of concrete reinforcing mesh. Cut in 9ft lengths and fasten together into a cylinder.

Drive a fence post in next to the tomato plant and tie cylinder to top of post st it won't move until plant us established. Occasionally weave the plant through the holes as it grows.

Quick to do and some of mine are probably 20 yrs old and still going

Also works for squash and cucumbers.

Gave some extras to my niece and she played them down to keep her dogs off tge rows

I found something that I am going to try out. It seems like it would fit my use case perfectly. Updating in case anyone in the future is looking.

At Hobby Lobby for about $5 bucks and some change they have some braided polypropylene 2mm cord. It's breaking strength is right about 50lbs (which is a conservative estimate). That is way more than it will ever see holding up a tomato plant. It's weather resistance is pretty good as well.

It also seems like it will hold a knot as well and it won't unravel like a twisted line would. You can just melt the ends of it as well for a nice clean look.

Reactions: 91Eunozs