• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL for 60gr Vmax in a 223 AI bolt gun build?

bmash

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Zachary, LA
I am having a 223 AI bolt Action gun built and plan on 60gr vmax as heaviest bullet. I know for an AR you are limited to magazine length, but for a bolt action which will be chambered to my requested length, what should I go with? May not be able to give a number for an answer, but thoughts?
I want to be able to reach the lands but should I consider longer so not so much of the bullet extends past the neck shoulder junction? (My AR Loads are 2.25” and the bullet goes through the shoulder are into the straight wall portion of the case.)
I may use some 40 and 50 gr bullets as well.

What twist? I would suggest going with a 7-8 twist, and have the chamber throated long so that you are seating bullets to the base of the neck/shoulder junction if possible. I am shooting 75/77 grain bullets as they have a much better BC than the lighter bullets. However this does not preclude you from using lighter bullets, and with the higher RPM's you may get some good loft and splatter on squirrels/prairie dogs etc. (50 grain Vmax is particularly explosive on small vermin!!) Also if you are using a particular brand of magazine, take a measurement of your maximum COL that the magazine will accept, and have the chamber set up to accept this or slightly less. I believe my loads are 2.42" with the 75 Amax. Not sure what they are with the 77 Noslers.

You make some good points!
Prairie dog gun so I’ve been thinking 12 twist for light bullets. Haven’t bought the barrel yet so I’m open. MDT magazine so I can get fairly long (rough measure is 2.47”). I also plan to single load when prairie dog shooting so I don’t mess with Loading a magazine.
I have a 204 for 39 gr, and a 6x47 for up to 80gr. I was thinking optimizing a barrel for 60 gr. but have Also been considering a barrel that could shoot a little heavier.
Have you tried 40 gr in you rifle with that twist? Works ok?
(I have a LOT of 40 and 50 gr bullets.)
Thanks!