• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL- Rem 700 22-250 w\ 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

Kevmo8

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2009
Idaho, USA
So I have been loading some rounds for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250 and have a few questions that mainly concern the OAL. I am using 50gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip bullets with 38gr of H380. I am using the Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee and the Nosler Reloading Guide 6 for my as refrences. Modern Reloading lists a <span style="text-decoration: underline">Minumum</span> OAL of 2.350 where as the Nosler reloading manual has a S.A.A.M.I <span style="text-decoration: underline">Maximum</span> OAL of 2.350.

Using the Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL gauge, the bullet ogive touches the lands on my Remington 700 at a reading of 2.130. That in mind, I seated my bullet at 2.090, which puts the ogive .040 off the lands of the rifle. The same bullet in a factory round has an OAL to the ogive of 1.930. That is a .160 difference in OAL to the ogive of my cartridge versus the factory cartridge. This might not seem like much, however it is when you stand the loaded cartridges up side by side.

A few more number to throw out there. The OAL of my cartridge to the tip of the bullet is 2.50. The OAL of the factory cartridge is 2.340. So, my bullet is .150 longer than the Min OAL (2.350) and SAAMI Max OAL (2.350) listed in my manuals.

The bullet is seated into the case neck only .225.

So my question is, am I OK loading so that the bullet ogive is only .040 off the lands or should I be seating the bullet deeper so that the bullet has to make a longer jump? Do I need to worry about excessive pressure,not enough run up or anything else with this load?

Also, I have some 40gr Nosler spritzers that are seated .070 off the lands. At present, I am not sure how much of the bullet is actually in the case neck, however I imagine it is minimal. What should the minimum amount of bullet in the case neck be to be safe?

Below is a picture of a 50gr factory load and my load. Factory is on the left and mine is on the right. Notice the difference in length.
[img:left]http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/bf14b9...779fd5fa2529a0b[/img]

Re: OAL- Rem 700 22-250 w\ 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

If you worked up your load at 2.50" and it shot good, then stick with it. You will increase your accuracy seating the bullet out longer, like you've done. The factory loads their ammo to fit and function in all 22-250 rifles, so they will seat the bullet deeper. If your COAL fits in your magazine and shoots good, then run with it. But when you change up the COAL, it will effect you load, accuracy and pressures. So, always work up to it.

Thanks for the reply. I actually have not shot this round through my gun yet. The COAL does fit in my magazine as well as chambers easily. I actually did not work up to this length and that is why I am a bit skeptical. The reason why I did not work up to this length is because I originally started loading them just below the MAX SAAMI spec of 2.350. So I was at around 2.345. I was all done with my rounds, minus the crimp, and feeling very proud of myself. When I placed the rounds face down in a shell holder and one of the bullets just slid straight up into the case. This was very disturbing so I went out and bought a hornaday comparator and noticed that the ogive of these rounds was basically right at the mouth of the case neck. This is true for the factory rounds too. So I imagine that is why it suddenly slipped in. So then I went ahead and purchased the Lock-N-Load tool and noticed how much further out I could go to where the bullet ogive touches the lands. However, since I am able to go so much further than the SAAMI Max, I am somewhat concerned that pressure or some other factor may be an issue. So that is where I am now, trying to find the happy medium. Any suggestions?

I ran just asked myself the SAME question this weekend. I was loading at 2.35 with the 50 gr nosler BT's and 36 grains of varget.... I ended up seating them to an OAL of 2.43 I reworked a load up with Varget starting a grain lower. As it turns out I ended up with the same 36 grains when it was all said and done. No pressure signs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions? </div></div>
Yes. 1- please fill out your profile.
I would work up a load with this bullet. The 38 grains is a minimum load, so you shouldn't have any pressure signs. Go up in .3 grain increments till you find a good load that shoots well. I'd start around 39, and go up in .3 gains to about 41, maybe a few tenths over 41, depending on pressure signs. You should find a good load in there.

I have found that all of the 22-250's that I have worked up loads for with 50gr Nosler ballistic tips have liked the bullet seated .010 off of the lands. Thats for 3 Remingtons, 2 Rugers and 1 Salvage. All of them shoot .6" CTC or less consistently at 100yds. I never had any luck getting H380 to work as well as Benchmark, RE10X and Varget. All of the rifles have 26" tubes and are all running 3800-3950fps in 80-90 degree weather. The 3950 is coming out of my 700 VS and was very surprising, because the other loads are all closer to 3800. NO pressure signs with any of those loads in my guns.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Chad can weigh in here, but here is how I start out. If it is to be fed from the magazine, (not a single shot), I first measure the magazine length and subtract .015". This is just my best guess for reliable feeding. Then I use the Hornady OAL guage for the bullets I plan to try. If that measurement is less than the magazine lenght, then I start at .010" less than the measured OAL for that bullet. I also load a set at .020" and .030" under and try each of those. More often than not the .010" or .020" will show some promise and I start refinig further from there. Give it a try.

Bob</span> </span>

A quick update for anyone interested.

I shot the above mentioned loads yesterday evening. Both shot exceptionally accurate and consistent. The 40gr being more consistent than the 50.

It is worth mentioning that I also shot some 50gr Barnes Varmint Grenade’s with 38.1 grains of H380. This bullet was seated to the SAAMI Max OAL of 2.350. This round was very inaccurate and produced very inconsistent results. The wind did pick up around the time I was shooting these cartridges and I imagine that was a contributing factor. Also, it may be that my 700 does not have a fast enough twist to stabilize the bullet. I’ll need to do more experimentation with this.

One observation worth mentioning is in all of these spent rounds, the firing pin made a deeper impact on the primer than that of a factory round. My guess is that this could be a difference in primers being used. Or could this also be caused by using a light load? The 38gr H380 was on the light end of the loading data.

Again, thanks to all of you for your input.

I would be shocked if your 22-250 wouldnt stabilize a 50gr bullet, with any factory twist. Are you using a chronograph?

No, not using a chronograph. I think that the reason lies in the length and density of the Barnes Varmint Grenades. The bullet may be 50gr, but is quite a bit longer in overall size. They actually even say that they are made for rifles with a 1:10 or faster twist.