• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL vs OGIVE

Highflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
I use a Lock-Load OAL gauge. Now I have the OAL but it varies from bullet to bullet. How can I use the OAL to get the ogive? Is their a way to measure for only the ogive? 175 SMK's

I use a comparator to get the ogive. Problem is when I measure my rifle for OAL it's only with the point of the bullet. I get 2.835 OAL.but that not from the ogive. I'm using a ogive of 2.216 when I reload.

Last edited:
comparator. the tips of bullets can very slightly, a comparator will save you some frustration.

You should read the sticky threads at the top of the forum here. Good info.

Get yourself a Hornady Comparator - $15.99
Hornady anvil base - $14.99 (you don't "NEED" this but in this sport were pretty much children and we need to have everything)
Hornady comparator insert - $4.99

I didn't buy the Sinclair Hex unit because I read several reviews where the diameter of the hole was out of spec.

Get yourself a Hornady Comparator - $15.99
Hornady anvil base - $14.99 (you don't "NEED" this but in this sport were pretty much children and we need to have everything)
Hornady comparator insert - $4.99

I didn't buy the Sinclair Hex unit because I read several reviews where the diameter of the hole was out of spec.

In what way? Was it out of round, or just a different size?

As long as it's round, the size doesn't have to be perfect. Consider: You use your Hornady OAL to figure out where your rifling begins. Then, you measure it with your "out of spec" tool. It maybe slides on a little farther, or maybe not quite as far, as one in spec would. Then, you set up your dies, and you use the same "out of spec" tool to get the bullets seated to the right depth. As long as you use the SAME "out of spec" tool, it will continue to index on the projectile in the same location, thus giving you accurate comparisons against two different bullets measured with that same tool.

So where is the problem?

"Holes not cut to proper dimensions" so I went with something that had better reviews. Some love them, some have problems with them but I'm not a lifelong reloader so I chose something that would give me the least amount of headache.

There's the problem.

"Holes not cut to proper dimensions" so I went with something that had better reviews. Some love them, some have problems with them but I'm not a lifelong reloader so I chose something that would give me the least amount of headache.

There's the problem.

For the record, I don't have one of the Sinclair tools in question, I'm just trying to understand your gripe. It seems to me that it is nothing more than you read that someone, somewhere, said that they holes aren't cut properly, and you are providing a product review based off of another product review you read somewhere else that may or may not be entirely accurate.

Does that about sum it up?

I now have a Hornady Lock-in Load OAL gauge. Once I get the OAL, just use my comparator to get the ogive form the gauge. Very simple!