• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Obermeyer

Cheech

spiritus
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
TENUS
www.larosadesign.net
Anyone have any experience with Mr. Obermeyer's barrels? If so what can you tell me? What caliber / round, twist, length, contour, etc.? What action did you install it on? How long did it take to arrive?

I'm looking at a 36"+straight blank in a tight match .30 caliber bore in a 1/9.5 or 1/10 twist. I'll do all the finish work myself. I like the idea of his tight bore and "5R" rifling.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Cheech

http://www.obermeyerbarrels.com/index.html

Re: Obermeyer

i have installed one before and was not impressed it was a .30 10 twist in 300 win mag and personally think there are better quality barrels out there without the bad rep on wait time that they have. just my $.02

I currently own two of his barrels. One on a 300 Win Mag, one on a DPMS 308 in a MK11 type build. Both are 1 in 10 twist. Neither are tight bore's that I am aware off. Both clean very easily and do not require cleaning often, both also shoot very well.

I requested his barrels after having a couple of issue rifles that were wearing his work. The most accurate rifle that I have ever fired was wearing an Obermeyer.

I'm sure there are a few others out there that are just as good, but I've never heard anyone regret having a barrel made by him. I have heard several people complain about the wait, I've always been fortunate enough to find someone that had them in stock. I believe GAP has them on hand quite often.

edited to add: I take it back, now I have heard of someone unhappy with his barrel!

Here's his FAQ page.

OBERMEYER RIFLED BARRELS
Quality Rifle Barrels Since 1962

23122 - 60th Street
Bristol, Wisconsin 53104

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is your current situation with regard to fulfilling orders?

I am a one-man shop, and I have been involved in a lot of defense work during the last 3 years.
This work has been growing and has priority over regular civilian work. Since I currently have
machines set up to run .30-caliber barrels with 1 in 11" twist for my defense work, that is also the
type of barrel I can most readily make for the civilian market at this time. I have also been making
some 1 in 13" twist barrels to support requirements for Palma rifles and magnums, as well as 1 in
12" twist barrels. In addition, I have been able to make some 6.5mm barrels with a 1 in 8-3/4"
twist, commonly used with .260 Remington chambers, for example, and now make some with a 1
in 9.1" twist for large-capacity cases like the 6.5mm x 284. Small-diameter barrels, such as .22
caliber and 6mm, have been the most difficult to fit into the production schedule.

What is the relationship between the cut-rifling process, rifling depth, and barrel life?

Bullets are driven by the lands. Through many years of experience, I have found that a greater
depth between the lands and the grooves means the resulting barrel will last much longer at a
high level of performance. Manufacturing limitations pretty much confine this long-life
performance characteristic to cut-rifled barrels. In order to achieve the necessary additional
depth, the cut-rifling process uses different tools and involves more time than the methods used
in the high-volume production of factory barrels.

What are your typical bore diameters, and what are your installation recommendations
regarding reamers?

The installer needs to be able to pilot his reamer with respect to the dimensions of each barrel. I
recommend a removable-pilot reamer so the installer can also work with conventional diameters
standard to other rifling processes. (In addition, some other barrels are simply manufactured large,
and the removable pilot allows the installer to correct his reamer to work on them.) It should also
be noted that pressure does not jump simply because the land diameter is tighter; it is the
cross-section area of the entire bore that counts. My 5R system often results in a larger
cross-section area than many shallow-rifled, wide-land conventional barrels. <span style="font-weight: bold">Special bore sizes
associated with various typical calibers are as follows: .217" (.22 caliber center-fire), .234" (6mm),
.254" (6.5mm), .274" (7mm), .298" (.30 caliber), .300" (.303), and .311" (8mm). The 7mm bore
diameter has been .2755" in the recent past, and legacy barrel blanks of this type may still be in
circulation. Pilot sizes are calculated by subtracting .001" from the bore diameter.</span>

What was the original purpose of having a tight groove diameter, and how have circumstances
changed?

The idea has long persisted that a tight groove diameter works better, particularly in a Palma rifle.
In part, this perception resulted from the past use of under-size bullets in certain Commonwealth
countries. However, all currently-manufactured Palma bullets I have checked are now .3080" or
larger, and I no longer make the tight-groove .3065" barrels. I now make Palma barrels with a
minimum diameter no smaller then .3075".

What is your philosophy regarding groove diameters?

Generally speaking, I have found by experience that a diameter of about .0005" larger than
nominal is better. Metal deformation occurs in accordance with the principle of volume
constancy. This means that the bullet is forced to undergo strain along its axis (lengthwise) to
compensate for the volume of material displaced by the lands. As noted previously, even though
my 5R cut-rifled barrels have a greater depth between the lands and grooves, the remaining
cross-section area between the lands (not requiring bullet deformation) is often greater than in
many shallow-rifled, wide-land conventional barrels. However, having a tight groove diameter
restricts and compresses the bullet to an even greater extent in the radial direction, thereby
creating additional, unnecessary deformation. Maintaining a larger groove diameter, on the other
hand, reduces bullet distortion. I have found several instances where barrels having groove
diameters .001" to .002" over nominal actually proved to shoot extremely well. One of these cases
involved .30-caliber barrels I made with groove diameters of approximately .3095" for a gun writer
who intended to shoot cast bullets. When he ran some tests on jacketed bullets, this set of
barrels turned out to be at the top of his list for performance with bullets like the Sierra 168.

How important is uniformity of the twist rate, and how do you control it?

Uniformity of twist is definitely important, and the Pratt and Whitney hydraulic rifling machines
allow it to be consistently maintained. The twist rate is controlled by change gears, which
transfer the twist to the tool spindle from the master leader bar. This results in extremely uniform
and repeatable twist rates. I also have gain-twist leader bars, but I only use them for ordnance
work.

What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corners of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.

If I am interested in ordering a barrel, should I send money now?

No, please do not send money with your order. Billing will occur when your barrel is completed.

How may I contact you to place an order or to make further inquiries?

Please place all orders in writing, even if you have already done so verbally. This will help ensure
that we have a hard-copy record of your order and all of the necessary details. The address and/or
fax number for doing so is as follows:

It is hoped that this web site will offer an option to address frequently asked questions in a manner
that is accessible to everyone, allowing for a more efficient use of production time. Nevertheless, if
you do not see the answer to your particular question in the FAQ, or if you desire further
information, please feel free to make an inquiry by telephone at (262) 843 -3537, during the day,
Monday through Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry C Jolly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one about 5 years ago and am still waiting on it.
Sincerely,
Barry C Jolly </div></div>

Geez, I thought I was the most ignored and neglected Obermeyer customer. On Aug 7, 07 I visited via a phone call with Boots about a 6.5 blank and availability. He said "I can get you a 6.5 in 2-3 months as I need to do a run for myself and some other LR shooters". He wanted my order in writing via email just to have it confirming phone conversation. I sent the email on Aug 27 after some consideration on twist etc for a 6.5 and also his 30 cal standard run with 11 twist and M40 contour.

He responded to my email Dec 21 that the 30 cal was done but "haven't gotten to the 6.5's yet". Sent payment and received 30 cal first wk of Jan 08.

He told me to "remind him" for the 6.5 blank. Dec of 09 he responded to my 'reminder' that his pc crashed and he no longer had my order. Sent it again. No response to emails from June 09 to Dec 09. He finally responded about Christmas time after 3rd email that month with "I will make you a barrel, just need some time to finish 500 barrel contract". Nov he told me he was done with contract work and was making 6.5's and would have it "right after he got back from deer hunting and Thanksgiving"!!!! Still no response. See another gent ordered one more than a yr after me, received it in Oct and now has it on GB for a nice expenseive price!!! Wished I could get one to do my 260 project and wouldn't sell it as soon as I had it in my hands!!! Kinda pisses me off the guy got his over a yr after my order and I am still waiting. Patience and desire to build with an Obermeyer are just about at their end!!!!!!!!!!

That is my Obermeyer story! How many customers would wait 3.5yrs for his product, be illinformed, mislead, etc etc and still want to use his barrel???? Just a stupid one?? They don't shoot any better than a Krieger, Bartlein or a Rock from my experiences but I just wanted one of Boots' barrels for the 260 before he retired. Could have ordered, received and reordered a Krieger or Bartlein with their 8 month leade time 4 times!!!!!

Merry Christmas.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Cheech,
I would recomend that you order your barrel elsewhere. Not because Boots does not make a fine barrel, but his wait time can be long to never. I also know some people who are friends of his and have been waiting years for an order. If you like the 5R rifling you can get that in a Bartlein or Krieger. I would recomend aginst the tight bore as I dont really think it is needed anymore. Just my thoughts and opinions.

I have a 28" 10 twist AMU+ contour and it shoots lazers. Its a .298 bore and I think that contributes to pressure signs earlier than others. I was lucky enough to score mine in an Estate sale. If you want one quickly I suggest calling GAP too or going with a Kreiger as he set up their tooling for the 5R line of barrels.

I shoot 185 RBBTs made by Jim Deitlein in Michigan. I have 10 shot groups in the .2 - .3 range at a 100 with my combination.

Po-Po

Don't care for the wait time; and not going to state that he makes the best barrels because that's a "no win" situation! But I am fairly certain that most cut rifled makers including Krieger and Rock have learned their trade from him! He may not be the best, but you can't find better!

I have no first hand knowledge about Ober barrels, but there are a lot of great quality barrels out on the market now.

Although the best barrel I personnaly have ever owned is a Kreiger!! Nothing against any other mfg, but that Kreiger works for me.

His barrels are made using the cut rifled process on a Pratt & Whitney hydraulic machine of WW2 vintage of which there were but 34 made. Others you may know using this equipment are Rock & Krieger. This equipment supposedly produces the most uniform twist rates versus the earlier sine bar machines which were made in droves by comparison around the WW1 time frame. Irrespective of how a barrel is made is that all stresses are out prior to bringing the bore to final size (contouring, fluting, brake threads complete before final lapping), twist uniform, no tight and loose spots (muzzle can be constricted). By virtue of process, it is easier to make these happen with the cut rifled process, but only Krieger completes all work prior to drilling reaming and rifling. Used a half dozen of his barrels and never had an issue plus can be had tomorrow from various sources as long as no special contour is required or else expect 3 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW-I have owned a few Obermeyer barrels and they were no better than a krieger, brux or bartelin. </div></div>
I'd be willing to bet they aren't any better either! The man has done more for the American barrel making industry then just about anyone else.

You are 100% correct, there are several mfg's of great quality barrels now compared to 25 years ago.

Buy a quality product and don't look back!

I have an Obermeyer 5R 1-11 twist on a 300 win mag. Barrel was set at 26 inches. Barrel took about a year to get, so I ordered a second one right away. With my loads, the rifle usually shoots 1.3-1.4 inches at 300 yards. If I'm having an off day, the rifle will tell me I suck.

After I had about 850 rounds through the tube, I thought I would set it back before I completely toasted the throat. It is now at 24 inches, and still shoots great. I have about 250 rounds through the tube since set back.

I ordered a 6.5 barrel in November 2008, and finally received it in September 2010. I sent email ordering the barrel, followed up with a written letter, and was asked to call every couple of weeks to remind him. I finally got the barrel, and am hoping to build a rifle around it now. The 6.5mm barrel is about 28-29 inches long, so it should finish out around 27 inches. It is a 1-8.75 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toolmakr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His barrels are made using the cut rifled process on a Pratt & Whitney hydraulic machine of WW2 vintage of which there were but 34 made. Others you may know using this equipment are Rock & Krieger. This equipment supposedly produces the most uniform twist rates versus the earlier sine bar machines which were made in droves by comparison around the WW1 time frame. Irrespective of how a barrel is made is that all stresses are out prior to bringing the bore to final size (contouring, fluting, brake threads complete before final lapping), twist uniform, no tight and loose spots (muzzle can be constricted). By virtue of process, it is easier to make these happen with the cut rifled process, but only Krieger completes all work prior to drilling reaming and rifling. Used a half dozen of his barrels and never had an issue plus can be had tomorrow from various sources as long as no special contour is required or else expect 3 months. </div></div>

Krieger will contour and flute after the drilling process, not before. Hard to keep concentricity on any length of barstock without a hole in it, 'specially since you contour between centers. Generally you don't lap the 'finished length' barrels due to a high possibility of flaring the muzzle where the lap changes direction, so I'm pretty sure Krieger isn't cutting muzzle threads then lapping, would be lapped at it's 'rough length' prior to muzzle work. Border also flutes their cut rifled barrels prior to reaming and rifling, and I believe boots prefers that method as well but you do have to start with a hole in the pipe....Many of the buttoneers will lap their barrels post contour/flute, but they are restricted to doing all outside work post rifling process.

Oby is an institution, let's hope he stays in the game for years to come cuz we're going to miss him when he's gone...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oby is an institution, let's hope he stays in the game for years to come cuz we're going to miss him when he's gone... </div></div>

That statement right there my friend is why I have been waiting for about 3 1/2yrs for a barrel. Obermeyer was always the brand I couldn't afford when I was younger and always wanted one. Damn Boots to hell if he dies before me and I don't get my flippin 6.5 blank for my M40ish 260 project!!!!! Kinda upsetting now to hear of 2 gents who ordered a 6.5 blank at least a yr after me and have had theirs for months already!! In my phone conversations with him I truely enjoyed our chats and that was the deal maker for my order and now my wait. He keeps making promises, he either has to tell me to go to hell or make the damn blank.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toolmakr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His barrels are made using the cut rifled process on a Pratt & Whitney hydraulic machine of WW2 vintage of which there were but 34 made. Others you may know using this equipment are Rock & Krieger. This equipment supposedly produces the most uniform twist rates versus the earlier sine bar machines which were made in droves by comparison around the WW1 time frame. Irrespective of how a barrel is made is that all stresses are out prior to bringing the bore to final size (contouring, fluting, brake threads complete before final lapping), twist uniform, no tight and loose spots (muzzle can be constricted). By virtue of process, it is easier to make these happen with the cut rifled process, but only Krieger completes all work prior to drilling reaming and rifling. Used a half dozen of his barrels and never had an issue plus can be had tomorrow from various sources as long as no special contour is required or else expect 3 months. </div></div>

One thing that bothers me aout the post is where are you gettng your information..P&W made ONLY 34ea 1/2 B rifling machines? How did you come up with that exacting count? That wasn't from Boots, we talk amongst each other during various shooting seasons per year..shoot the shit, farming usually(how were the milking cows in Wisonsin, you'd do better in Florida feeding them oranges sort of thing)...So where did this supposed fact arrive at your mention?

JR

How did the hydraulic P&W rifling machines differ from the older sine bar machine other than hydraulics driving the action?

I've watched a friends old P&W sine bar machine running many times.

Big long leather belts flapping around, thinks clicking and clanking, oil flowing about..lots of fun.

IIRC he said it was from just after the turn of the century and has a long history, including a tour overseas.
grin.gif

I believe that piece of information on number of machines produced comes from an article in Precision Shooting many years back. The sine bar machine information comes from someone at Picatinny Arsenel which I happen to live by and toured a couple of times, but is also reinforced from the same article in Precision Shooting. If I remember correctly, the article was about Krieger barrels specifically.

I have an Obermeyer 30 cal blank that APA is using to make my next 308 custom rifle. I was lucky to find one on sale here on the Hide so no long wait time for me. Looking forward to see what type of accuracy this barrel can show me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boots Obermeyer is a god.

</div></div>Chad Ive wanted to comment in this thread a couple times but really couldnt find the words to sum up my feelings about his ability and knowledge, you managed to sum it up pretty well. I have had the pleasure of picking his brain on several occasions, super smart down to earth nice guy. Oh by the way he makes a pretty good barrel I have about 6 or so and they are all shooters. Just finished a 308 a few days back with one of his 11 twist 5r,amu taper barrels that I pried away from my brother, I cant wait to shoot it

I can tell you this. I've only had the pleasure of dealing with him once or twice. On both accassions it was pleasant and enlightening.

Mark Chanlynn is another barrel maker on the Front Range of the Rockies. He's been in business longer than I've been alive and he learned how to make barrels from Boots Obermeyer. Mark is one of the most genuine people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He too makes a hell of a good stick and without his help and guidance over the years I wouldn't be where I am today.

I don't imagine a man like Mark learning from a man like Boots happened by accident.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boots Obermeyer is a god.

</div></div>

I concur...Wish all my barrels were his.And I love shooting the shit with him to pick his brain, But Gary Schneider aint far behind and he delivers fast..
Boots had been Extremely backed up because of the M11 contract..

I have a GAP 308 w/a Obermeyer barrel I bought during Mr. Gardner's fire "boat" sale...current round count is 3300 and it still shoots 1/2 moa.... If I remember correctly George Gardner said he wasn't a fan of Obermeyer barrels in a pm. He never stated why.... only that he was not a fan.

Boots is a good $hit, when your a one man show it takes time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long_Action</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP 308 w/a Obermeyer barrel I bought during Mr. Gardner's fire "boat" sale...current round count is 3300 and it still shoots 1/2 moa.... If I remember correctly George Gardner said he wasn't a fan of Obermeyer barrels in a pm. He never stated why.... only that he was not a fan. </div></div>

Negatory, Obermeyer barrels are great and I have known Boots for 12 years and we are freinds, Boots is busy making Mk11 and M110 barrels and will probably be making them for some time to come. In the past we used quite a few of them but I cannot get quanities of his barrels now so its not even worth the bother of asking him.

On a different note, We currently use only Bartlein Barrels as they are in my opionion the most consistant barrel being made today. Their propriatary rifleing machines are light years in front of the old 1/2 B's . GAP and Bartlein are bloodbrothers to the core. Their shop is like a Temple that Gods come to worship at!!!

Just had to bring this back after my comments about Boots. I emailed Boots 10 days ago asking one more time with regards to wait time. Boots responded that he thought he had filled my order but must have gotten it mixed with someone else. Sniff, Sniff that super gent made my Rem Varmint contour from initial order and shipped last Wed(Jan 5) and at my request different from original date also made me an M40 profile. Received one on Monday this week and other yesterday. <span style="font-weight: bold">Edit to add...In a Dec 09 email I had mentioned I would take another 30cal M40 also, well today was the third day in a row the UPS dude brought me a package from Boots,(not going to ask why he shipped them separate either) Now how to figure out how to pay for them all. Have to cuss the super gent now for eating rice cakes for a couple of flippin months, never satisfied huh???LOL </span> I am happier than a 2 peckered puppy with Boots. I knew his word was good, I just didn't know when he would make it good. If that makes sense?

All 3 consecutively numbered...now I might ponder and conclude that I cannot destroy a 'set' by using one.
wink.gif
I mean....ya no what I iz sayin? How many people have a numerical set of Oby tubes????

THANK YOU BOOTS and I apologize for my negative comments and my whinning and girly man antics
smile.gif

As I bitched about the long wait I now want to have it be known that my order was indeed filled. Only wished I lived closer and could meet the man in person. I truely enjoy conversations with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oby is an institution, let's hope he stays in the game for years to come cuz we're going to miss him when he's gone... </div></div>

Oh, and _JR_, I found out things about you too!!!!! You naughty naughty lil boy!!!!!
wink.gif

Respectfully,
Dennis

I have owned two Obermeyer barrels in the past 30 years. Currently I have rifles with Hart and Lilja barrels. After talking to Karey at GAP about a new guild I contacted Boots again. At the time boots was tooled up and cutting a different caliber. After a short Vacation and some yard work I got my barrel. Everything I asked of boots was done. Now I didn't have to wait years, more like two months. Funny thing is even thou he is a one man operation he get's DoD contracts for barrels as well as cutting test barrels for ammunition manufactures. I love boots work always have. George you are going to like this build I know I will.

Don't know for sure exactly how many contracts Boots has had or specifically for what but the last was for 500 barrels he said to Knight for the 110. That conversation from 12/09.

Last talk with Bartlein was 1900 on order and I read anywhere from 6-9 month backlog. So if that number leaves them that much behind on orders just imagine 500 in one order for Boots. Would be kinda daunting after working through 25 or so and still have only 475 left to go huh??? LOL

The first 30 I orderd Aug of 07 I had in hand end of Dec that yr. In a phone conversation 6 months or so later he had a couple of extras so I got another within days. Quite the guy to BS with. Wished I had the ballistics/shooting knowledge he does!

The most accurate long range rifle I've ever owned had one of boot's barrels, he is a fine man-and makes a great product. Just to make the point, if you ask the other fine makers what they think of boots, they will all tell you he and his products are 1st class-because they are. He is one man he can't make as many as he can sell, if you need one tomorrow go to another maker, if you are planning ahead (way ahead)order one today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugholes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have to plan that far ahead anymore...</div></div>

He's not lying, have a OBY on the way right now from BUGHOLES.
Can't wait!

I believe that he has completed his Gov. contract and is back on line for the little guy again. He's cutting and fluting a barrel for me that should be done shortly. It's good to hear all of your comments, makes me excited about my new build.

I just finished my 308 last week. It has an Obermeyer 1/11 5r and it is by far the most accurate 308 I have ever shot. I took it out to the range and was on paper in one, dialed in the scope and the next 5 were .380" at 100. It would have been smaller if I hadnt jerked the last shot... Took it out to 300 and it was .6". Keep in mind these were the first 11 shots out of the rifle... I have another barrel just like it coming in soon....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what I understand, most of those guys have worked for/with him and then went out on their own </div></div>

Nobody at Krieger and us never worked for Boots.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've only got one Obermeyer barrel and I haven't even shot it yet. I have used Pac-Nor, Hart, Lilja, Shilen, etc.

I will say that the Obermeyer barrel had the worst exterior finish I've ever gotten on a barrel. I had to turn about 0.020" off the shank to clean up the tooling marks before I could start polishing. It also took a bit more sanding to clean it up.

I don't know if this is a big deal or not to you, it wasn't a deal killer to me, but I was just surprised by it. I want a slack belt sander for the next time though.

Brad

I have one of his barrels, and let me tell you, its seriously tight. I load up 155 scenars with 48.8 grains of 2000mr and see 3100 fps with a 25.5 inch barrel. to get that out of my old factory barrel i was pushing 50.5 grains. that being said, it shoots everything that i feed it well, that includes factory ammo. since coming back from the smith, nothing that i have shot has been over 1moa.