• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OBR and Bolt Gun Setup help!!

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,
I need some feedback and I'm hoping someone here can help.
I currently have a AIAW in .308 with a S&B 5x25x56 Mil Mil optic and its on a 20MOA base.

For a while now I've had an itch for an OBR 7.62. In the mean time I'm trying to mentally figure out or plan how I would like to setup the rig while not burning a HUGE hole in my pocket. I'm thinking of using a Larue Mount for the main glass with an offset mount for a T1.

What I would like to do, is to maybe use the S&B that I have on the OBR for for one reason to be honest, save cash. I do realize that glass is WAY over kill for that gun but it's what I got. At this point I'm just trying to find what options I might have without going and getting a whole new piece of glass etc...etc...

So my question is, due to the 20 MOA rail that's built in to the OBR, is my only option for quick release mount for both guns, a flat mount? and I take it I would lose that range (clicks) on my bolt gun right?

Thanks for any info you guys might have?

BTW, anyone know why Larue designed it with the 20MOA rail?

If you do decide to pull the trigger on an OBR, you'll have to be patient. It took 50 weeks for mine to show up. Personally, I think your S&B scope would be a perfect fit. Maybe a little long, taking up some of that rail "real estate," but if it is good on your AI, it will also be good on an OBR.

The 20 MOA rail is pretty common. OBR has 'em, my Surgeon 591 has 'em, AI's new AT rifle has 'em. You have the same 20 MOA cant on your AIAW, it's just built into the scope base instead of the rail. The purpose is all the same. Move your zero closer to the bottom of the scope's range of travel, thus giving you more clicks up and a longer useful range in your scope.

As for how to bounce one scope between two guns with different rails…that's a tough one. Of course you could just keep a record of the number of clicks when moving back and forth. What may become an issue is that your scope base is 20 MOA. Add that to 20 MOA in the rail and you've got yourself a 40 MOA cant. You may run the risk of having your zero (100 yds or whatever distance you choose) outside of the mechanical range of your scope. I don't own an AI, but is it possible to get a 20 MOA shim to mount between the action and scope base and then run a 0 MOA scope base on both rifles?

First off, if it were me, there is no way I would buy a Larue. 50 weeks for a "field grade" barrel is insane. Go with a JP LRP-07 and it will just be a few short weeks. Better accuracy and less wait= win/win

As far as swapping optics. I would get a 20 MOA rail for the AIAW and a flat optic mount. You will just create problems if you try to shim. 20 MOA is plenty for the 308.

Of course if you get a JP LRP it has a flat base and you could use your current setup but honestly swapping optics sucks. For 1K you could get an HDMR for the JP LRP-07 (wink) and save yourself a lot of trouble. Obviously it is no where near a S&B

50 weeks for a "field grade" barrel is insane.

I'd like to add a little perspective to the Larue wait time I experienced. I had ordered my OBR pre-Sandy Hook and was quoted at 4 months. About average at the time for a rifle of that quality (hell, it took me 9 mo to gather the parts and have my bolt gun built). Then the world went F'n crazy. Now I don't necessarily agree with all of Larue's business practices, but you can't deny the quality of the rifle. I have no experience with the JP LRP-07, but my 18" OBR with a "field grade barrel" was shooting sub-1/2 MOA groups with FGMM.

Back to the original question, there is no easy way around having two rifles with different cants to their scope rails. I agree with Here2Learn. Get a HDMR, or Leupy MK6, or something in that category of scope. You may spend a few extra bucks, but at least you won't go nuts bouncing back and forth between guns. And besides, as my college rifle coach taught me: he who dies with the most toys…

Wins! :D

I called Larue and Badger for some info. I had a great conversation with the Badger rep. As it turns out they don't make what i need but I was pointed to Ken Farrel mounts. They have a 20moa base that i can put on my AI and and run my glass back and forth with a Larue mount on both guns.

Thanks for the info guys.
R.