• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Observing vehicles from a distance

nasal avenger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
I have been assigned to observe vehicles for extended periods of time. I need to determine what vehicles are running and for how long, and collect video evidence, from a distance of 25-100 meters. I am using my naked eye and a DSLR with a telephoto lens.

I have been running into a few issues. I use the heat mirage rising from the exhaust pipe as an indicator that the engine is on. However, there are times when I KNOW a vehicle is running but I can't see any heat wash. I try to go out on bright, sunny days, and keep an alternating light/dark background behind the exhaust because these conditions seem to give the best results.

My questions:

What other indicators can be used to determine if a vehicle is running, besides exhaust heat and chassis vibration?

What are the best conditions for viewing engine exhaust heat wash?

How can I prevent my eyes from fatiguing when I do these observations for several hours continuously?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for my post, mods please move this thread if that is the case.

Re: Observing vehicles from a distance

so you're an anti-idling nazi of some sort i presume? jeez, what people will do for money these days....

sorry i have no tips for you.

You have been <span style="font-weight: bold"> assigned </span> a task, you don't know how to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been assigned to observe vehicles for extended periods of time... What other indicators can be used to determine if a vehicle is running, besides exhaust heat and chassis vibration?</div></div>Perhaps that you saw someone get in and start it?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have been <span style="font-weight: bold"> assigned </span> a task, you don't know how to do? </div></div>That happens all the time in government work.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been assigned to observe vehicles for extended periods of time... What other indicators can be used to determine if a vehicle is running, besides exhaust heat and chassis vibration?</div></div>Perhaps that you saw someone get in and start it?
grin.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000">Just because the headlights are on doesn't mean the car is on.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have been <span style="font-weight: bold"> assigned </span> a task, you don't know how to do? </div></div>That happens all the time in government work.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I know how to do it. I want know how to do it better, to help the people who asked us to look into this in the first place.

I didn't think about the headlights being on, but yes, now that you mention it, headlights will become an indicator of whether or not the car is running if you are observing for an extended period of time.
grin.gif

I should clarify. While I am watching overall activity for a few hours at a time, the period I am watching each individual car is short enough that checking headlights alone is not good enough. A car can be in accessory mode and have the headlights on without the engine running. Also, people often sit in cars for long periods while it is off, so I can't just assume that because someone is in the car it is on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been assigned to observe vehicles for extended periods of time. I need to determine what vehicles are running and for how long, and collect video evidence, from a distance of 25-100 meters. I am using my naked eye and a DSLR with a telephoto lens.

I have been running into a few issues. I use the heat mirage rising from the exhaust pipe as an indicator that the engine is on. However, there are times when I KNOW a vehicle is running but I can't see any heat wash. I try to go out on bright, sunny days, and keep an alternating light/dark background behind the exhaust because these conditions seem to give the best results.

My questions:

What other indicators can be used to determine if a vehicle is running, besides exhaust heat and chassis vibration?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Perhaps there will be other indications such as movement in the vehicle, interior lights, windsheild wipers, headlights, brake lights, if parked in an area off the pavement possibly dust or vegatation being moved in the vicinity of the exhaust pipe, watch the radio antenna for movemnt, possibly the heat waves off of the hood or engine compartment, if there was a lot of dew that morning or it is in a cold environment, look for the melting of the frost on the hood or engine compartment due to the heat off of the running motor.Perhaps it is a hot day, what are the chances the person in the vehicle will have the windows up without the A/C on? What if it is a cold day, what are the chances the person will have the windows down or the windows up without the heater on? These are all factors that you need to concider when reporting on an objective. This is the reason for reporting ATB (Appears To Be), when you report on an objective, you cannot walk right up to the individual and measure him to confirm that he is 5'10" and 185Lbs, so when you report that information to Higher HQ you report " The individual ATB 5'10" and 185lbs". If you cannot see the exhaust but other indications may lead you to believe that the vehicle may be running, then report to higher that you cannot confirm or deny that the vehicle is running but it ATB based on other indications that you have observed.If you are in a warm to hot environment, flying insects (ie bees, flys) are attracted to the A/C in the vehicle (I believe its because of the moisture in the air), and we all know that the A/C only works when the vehicle is running. So, if you see the insects gathering arounf the windows of the vehicle that may be an indication that the vehicle is running and the A/C is on. Also, we all know that having the vehicle in accessory mode for a long period of time will drain the battery, so that being said, if you are observing a vehicle for a few hours and the "headlights" have been on the enitre time, what are the chances that the vehicle will start? Maybe the vehicle has been running the whole time. If it hasnt been running but the headlights have been on, as the battery wears down the headlights will begin to fade. Most of the time, what we do (or maybe just me), if I have had the vehicle in accessory mode for a period of time I will temporily run the vehicle to re-charge the battery, and then return the vehicle to accessory mode. When this happens, the headlights or other accessories that you may be observing will turn off momentarily and then come back on. This may be an indication that the vehicle was just started.</span>

What are the best conditions for viewing engine exhaust heat wash?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Cold conditions the exhaust will be seen more clearly.</span>

How can I prevent my eyes from fatiguing when I do these observations for several hours continuously?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Typically you must switch observation responcibilities with your partner as frequently as every 20-30 minutes. If that is not feasable, then other means are necessary. Always observe through your non-shooting eye, if you are not on a mission that will require shooting, then you can switch from eye to eye every 20 minutes or so. You will need to train your eyes to build up endurance. Observation is a skill just like any other, the more you train at it the better you will become and the longer you will be able yo do it.

One method that we used to due to relieve the strain and pressure on our eyes after focusing for periods of time is to look at earth tones. Greens, browns etc. Take your eye out of the glass and look at the grass or dirt. Do not focus on anything, just relax your eyes and look at those colors. This will help relax your eyes and remove the strain.Do this quite often, because as you know, the longer you strain your eyes, the longer it will take to relieve that strain and it will become strained much sooner from that point on. </span>

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for my post, mods please move this thread if that is the case. </div></div>

Hope that helps, take care and good luck.

Seth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a thermal camera. </div></div>

Funny you say that. I have a FLIR camera that I take too, but it generally gets left in the trunk due to some significant limitations it has. The DSLR is actually personally owned - we started using it when it became apparant that the FLIR, while really darn cool, didn't meet our needs.

Seth, your post is immensely helpful and greatly appreciated - it's why I came to this forum with my question in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a thermal camera. </div></div>

Funny you say that. I have a FLIR camera that I take too, but it generally gets left in the trunk due to some significant limitations it has. The DSLR is actually personally owned - we started using it when it became apparant that the FLIR, while really darn cool, didn't meet our needs.

Seth, your post is immensely helpful and greatly appreciated - it's why I came to this forum with my question in the first place. </div></div>

Glad I could help. FYI, I added a few more indications of a running vehicle to my above post for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have been <span style="font-weight: bold"> assigned </span> a task, you don't know how to do? </div></div>That happens all the time in government work.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
Not in my day.

nasal avenger
If you really want to know if a engine is running the old trick was to use a modifed RDF, as all engines (save specials that have been modified) give off a RF signal.

Just an extra FYI, back then we could tell the difference between Ford, GM, an Chrysler. The difference of the ignition circuits, an their intermix with the DC generators an alternators was a dead give away.

So long as you're monitoring vehicles parked in public and need photographic evidence walk right up and take a pic of the dash, many gauges bottom out when the vehicle is off.

From a distance its frivolous armed with a camera. Most new vehicles do not vibrate enough to give any visual signature that they are running, many don't even have mast type antennas that will amplify any vibration. The manufacturers spnd millions to make sure they don't. Exhaust plume, in the cold, is about the only visual signature, if its hot the exhaust itself can take a long time to cool, vapors may come out of it until it is. On diesels with DPF several hours to be safe, but uncomfortable, to touch. Mirage off the hood is a poor indicator as certain colors produce more and it can take hours for a hot engine to cool. Essentially you can watch a vehicle go cold to hot and know its running, until it stabilizes, but watching it go hot to cold will take hours and it may not be evident when it was actually shut down.

Most vehicles don't have the exhaust volume at idle to move debris on the ground. Many new vehicles do have electric fans which may disturb debris when they cycle, continually operating fans likely moved all obvious debris when the vehicle was parked or started.

Auto start and shut down timers negate the need for a man in the loop for starting or stopping engines. However many autostarts will flash the parking lights, some even have audible alarms, before starting and leave them illuminated while its running, you have hours, if they weren't on, and now are and the vehicle isn't moving something has changed.

RF is a good indicator, modern engines have solenoids, relays, coils, and other noise generators everywhere, all shielded of course but not perfectly, not sure how you'd isolate one vehicle from a distance in an urban setting full of electronic noise, and most should be very similiar as the electronics are made by a handful of manufacturers.

The only rock solid evidence will require sight and sound, an exhaust plume, or a photo of the gauges showing atleast one reading something that would read zero if the engine were not running, oil pressure, tach, voltmeter over 12.6, temps are no good they read key on engine off.

Nasal Avenger,

You dont have to be a freakin WyoTech graduate to tell if a vehicle is running. Ill tell you this much, I have a 2008 F250 and when I start the truck up and let it idle in the grass, the grass moves, when the truck idles my 30" whip antenna moves. My truck doesnt have some timer on it that shuts it down, and if I let the truck in the accessory mode for 2 hours the battery will die and so will my wifes 2010 Yukon.

The fact of the matter is not everyone is driving the newest and most advanced vehicle on the road, especially if you are in a 3rd world country, most of those vehicles will be mid-80's hatchbacks without the mythical whip free antennas and the diesels dont have any Diesel Particlate Filters (DPF).

What I am trying to get across to you is to think outside the box. I gave you multiple indications that may lead to an idea on whether that vehicle may be running or not. 1 indication might not, but multiple indications may lead to a very strong hypothesis. Ill tell you exactly what I would look for:

-Exhaust plume and movement of debris
-Vehicle movement (obviously)
-Heat waves off of hood (some colors may be easier than others)
-If it is a hot day, and the individual has the windows up, possibly an indication that the vehicle has the A/C on.
-If its a cold day and the windows are defrosting, possibly an indication that the vehicle has the heater or defroster on.
-Vibration in the antenna (could also be caused from movement inside the vehicle)
-Headlight or other observable accessories have been on for long periods of time (hours, may lead you to the conclision that the vehile is running to keep the battery from dying)

Put yourself in the place of the driver, what would you do? Does he have any reason to do something differently? Does he aware that he is under observation? These are all things that you need to log down in your Obsevation Log in chronological order. Log everything in, this information is used to develop a plan of action. As im sure you know, we do not gather intelligence. We gather information for our inteligence section to turn into intelligence. So ALL the information that you observe must be logged in and reported back so that they can make an educated plan of action.

I would NOT however, comprimise my position to walk up to the vehicle in question and take a picture of the interior gauges to determine whether or not it is running. Chances are that if you get that close to the vehicle you will be able to determine that it is running without looking at the gauges.

With lowly maintained vehicles in a third world country its generally much easier to tell they're running, they burn oil, rattle, leak, and overheat, in many less developed countries they're also diesels which are even worse, they're also almost never left alone while running.
OP said nothing about location, and indicated difficulty. That would lead me to believe they're not ratted out or tuned/big diesels.
Also indicated was that knowing wasn't good enough, they need visual proof. A late model car idling lights off, unoccupied, with an air temp of 60F or higher, with ambient noise will be extremely hard to identify, and more difficult to obtain irrefutable evidence of.

I'm still curious....are you looking for "truck idlers"? You never answered when asked in the previous post. Most companies have installed software to detect this now days.

from a distance of 25-100 meters

in addition to the good stuff in the last couple of posts, from a distance of 25-100 meters listen for the engine running?

condensation from the tailpipe?

quite running vehicle - walker's game ear will still pick it up as would a rubber hose and funnel (use like a parabolic) but if you can afford FLIR, guess you don't need the cheaper hose and funnel contraption.

several hundred meters i can see breaking out the toys, but 25-100 meters a simple hand cupping the hear should suffice. hell, even on a busy road / street / block at that distance it shouldn't be so complicated to pick out the contstant hum of a running vehicle out of the overlying the static of traffic.

I dont know why you would care about this if you aint the Parking Lot Police. Ran a big truck for a few years. In the Big City of New York, had one beat on my door and tell me to shut the truck down.
Said I could not let it idle ( been there for 10 min ) and I would get a ticket if I did not do as instructed. Told this (OFFICER)
to write out what he had to as the truck was gonna keep running till I got back to TN. By the way it was -5 deg outside and he left his car running the whole time he was wasting my time.
This guy better TELL ME why this is important and why he needs to know. Paranoid I'am, I just wont help an asshole with a flea market badge and a hard on for the working man tryin not to freeze to death and feed his kids.
If I got this wrong I will retract all said and tell ALL I'am sorry. If not Kiss my ASS, TAILPIPE COP !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know why you would care about this if you aint the Parking Lot Police. Ran a big truck for a few years. In the Big City of New York, had one beat on my door and tell me to shut the truck down.
Said I could not let it idle ( been there for 10 min ) and I would get a ticket if I did not do as instructed. Told this (OFFICER)
to write out what he had to as the truck was gonna keep running till I got back to TN. By the way it was -5 deg outside and he left his car running the whole time he was wasting my time.
This guy better TELL ME why this is important and why he needs to know. Paranoid I'am, I just wont help an asshole with a flea market badge and a hard on for the working man tryin not to freeze to death and feed his kids.
If I got this wrong I will retract all said and tell ALL I'am sorry. If not Kiss my ASS, TAILPIPE COP ! </div></div>

Good call and +1 if you are correct!

That would explain the screen name........... "Nasal Avenger"
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know why you would care about this if you aint the Parking Lot Police. Ran a big truck for a few years. In the Big City of New York, had one beat on my door and tell me to shut the truck down.
If I got this wrong I will retract all said and tell ALL I'am sorry. If not Kiss my ASS, TAILPIPE COP !</div></div>

I love it.

Until you start buying my fuel, it isn't your business how long my truck is ideling.

My employer, a third party entity, has been hired by a port as a logistics consultant. Among other things, we are collecting truck idling data. The port is interested in knowing about truck idling for three reasons:

1. Although truckers are given explicit instructions to shut their engines off, they leave them running anyway when they think no one is looking. This opens the port up to actions by local, state, and federal agencies, and has caused port officials grief in the past.

2. Certain companies (Whole Foods, for example) will not do business with entities that do not fit their "green" image. The port loses business if they are on the receiving end of community environmental complaints.

3. The increased particulate matter in the air interferes with certain monitoring equipment set up around the facility.

So as you may now see, even though the port is not paying for truckers' fuel, idling is still the port's business, since it is costing them time and money. Initially we thought this would be a fairly easy fix, but it turns out that many truckers have a huge attitude problem and refuse to follow the "house rules." So now the port must completely overhaul operations, at great expense, to find another solution.

The reason I am observing from far away is that there is so much heavy equipment moving around, it is unsafe for me to be on foot nearby. I need to collect definitive visual evidence for the most accurate statistical analysis. Audio of trucks running is no good since there is no way to know where it is coming from with certainty. The FLIR camera has no optical zoom, so it is very difficult to see the miniscule heat signature from objects far away on the tiny screen . It is also very heavy, noisy, quickly drains batteries, takes a long time to start up, doesn't work through glass, and is blinded by bad weather. We happen to have the FLIR for other purposes, for which it is well-suited.

I hope I have put any concerns to rest.

I want my five minutes back.

I read this thinking it was some kind of interdiction thing.....

Get out and walk around. Them fork lifts are not going to jump out and eat you. More likely you aren't keen on coming in contact with those mean old truck drivers.

If you are "spot checking" then a quick walk around will be more accurate and less fatiguing then hours on the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are "spot checking" then a quick walk around will be more accurate and less fatiguing then hours on the scope. </div></div>Depending on the Union, there might be an hours requirement apprenticeship for certification in running-vehicle observation operations.
laugh.gif

oh jeez.

in that case walk up behind it in the trucker's blind spot.

a more stealthy way to impress your partner listen for the compressor to cut out or the air dryer to spit on airbrake trucks. notice the clamshell rising or falling. notice the dry or wet spot on the ground from the heat of the exhaust blowing on it.

if it's 25-100 meters, i degress - walk up behind it in the trucker's blind spot <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want my five minutes back.

</div></div>

me too

Typical government action, blame the trucks, nevermind the enormous diesels in the ships, and the ones in those forklifts that are both off-highway and have to meet no emissions standards at all.

Pic of dash, with the new diesels you won't see much particulate from the stack, since they have Particulate filters that if operational stop what you're looking for, air dryer purge, oscillating antennas, big rigs vibrate, that big ass engine fan will move debris when it cycles.

Cold starting a diesel puts more shit in the air than several hours running at temp. The truck is often the driver's house, do you turn your heat off for a few hours below freezing? Or A/C when its in the nineties? Diesels and batteries do not like the cold, trucks that won't start have a tendency to cause major issues for port operations.

We're not spot checking individual truckers. We are watching overall flow, from the gate in to the gate out, and timing how long everything takes, including, but not limited too, idling. We are looking at much more than just that, but I am reluctant to give more details due to business confidentiality issues. The point is, if I walk up to a particular truck, I'm not watching everyone coming into the gate, or being assigned a station, or dropping off an empty, etc.

Thanks to those of you who have given helpful advice.

Lone Wolf, we are not allowed anywhere near gantry cranes. Maybe that makes sense and maybe it doesn't. The port is writing our checks so we follow their rules.

Beef - the EPA already required the port to electrify docked ships so their engines don't run. The state did the same with the straddle cranes, forklifts, etc. I think this is the only thing left for them to pursue, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3. The increased particulate matter in the air interferes with certain monitoring equipment set up around the facility.
</div></div>
Anything left in the bag?
Hire quality folks, who know how to operate sniffers an detectors in a hostile environment. If they can't sidestep compression ignition exhaust in today's world, they need another job.

A laser interferometer could be used from great distances to see if individual trucks are idling.

My personal opinion is to leave the working man alone. If it is excessively hot or cold, its unreasonable to expect trucks to not idle. Does the guy that makes the rules turn off the A/C and heat in his office building? The electricity comes from a powerplant somewhere which is pumping out pollution. They could turn off all environmental controls and see how well that works for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you're an anti-idling nazi of some sort i presume? jeez, what people will do for money these days....

sorry i have no tips for you. </div></div>

Damn, I called that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're not spot checking individual truckers. We are watching overall flow, from the gate in to the gate out, and timing how long everything takes, including, but not limited too, idling. We are looking at much more than just that, but I am reluctant to give more details due to business confidentiality issues. The point is, if I walk up to a particular truck, I'm not watching everyone coming into the gate, or being assigned a station, or dropping off an empty, etc.

Lone Wolf, we are not allowed anywhere near gantry cranes. Maybe that makes sense and maybe it doesn't. The port is writing our checks so we follow their rules.

Beef - the EPA already required the port to electrify docked ships so their engines don't run. The state did the same with the straddle cranes, forklifts, etc. I think this is the only thing left for them to pursue, lol.</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxTNZUhesZk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxTNZUhesZk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're not spot checking individual truckers. We are watching overall flow, from the gate in to the gate out, and timing how long everything takes, including, but not limited too, idling. We are looking at much more than just that, but I am reluctant to give more details due to business confidentiality issues. The point is, if I walk up to a particular truck, I'm not watching everyone coming into the gate, or being assigned a station, or dropping off an empty, etc.
</div></div>

If your company or port authority has so much money to have a FLIR camera then why can't they just make some accommodations, like a building for sleeping quarters, for the truckers so they don't have to turn on the truck to keep from freezing their asses off?

If they have so much money to throw around, and it is so big of a problem to hire outside help, then a proper solution should be thought of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nasal avenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're not spot checking individual truckers. We are watching overall flow, from the gate in to the gate out, and timing how long everything takes, including, but not limited too, idling. We are looking at much more than just that, but I am reluctant to give more details due to business confidentiality issues. The point is, if I walk up to a particular truck, I'm not watching everyone coming into the gate, or being assigned a station, or dropping off an empty, etc.

Beef - the EPA already required the port to electrify docked ships so their engines don't run. The state did the same with the straddle cranes, forklifts, etc. I think this is the only thing left for them to pursue, lol.</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxTNZUhesZk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxTNZUhesZk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

whistle.gif
</div></div>

"Green" cars may reduce smog, but they create smug.

Particulate matter, I happen to know something about large trucks. In cold weather or warm for that matter what does a large deisel do when you first start it. I would be interested in how much particulate they produce on start up. The point being how much compared to idling for a half hour or less. I have spent time in a semi in the cold and the heat. Either the heater needs to run or the ac. By the way is your vehicle idling while you are running smog cop?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By the way is your vehicle idling while you are running smog cop?</div></div>

I'm betting that there is no "idle" on his electric golf-cart. First we had the 'Mall cop' asking his "tactical necessity questions" and now we have the Port Smog Cop asking these. I ask this:

Is this a sequel?

Well I will have to stand on what I said.
Dont know where this guy is. would figure on the west coast as they HATE truckers there. and they have ran companys out of the state and hardass drivers that come in bringin shit that aint made there anymore every chance they get.Last driving job I took I asked if they went to Cali or New york. If they had said yes all the time I would have walked out and went local. They ran some NY ,Said if they would cut me a commcheck for $400 when ever I went to NY so I could pay my way out state I would take the job. They jumped on the offer. Damn shame you got to give a driver $400 to go into a state so he can pay for tolls, bridges ,and all the other shit.

Wow this is awesome the particulate police are gonna be wearing ghillies and setting up urban hides to dish out tickets next. It's like the smog counters in Denver, I shift into neutral and rev up as I coast by.

Wait a second someone paid for this guy to have flit for this shit? Good to see our tax dollars hard at work

are you afraid these people are going to kill you? how bout getting out of your car and walking past using the 5 senses gd gave you. I bet that might solve this problem

Slightly off topic but I have a friend who when he was a kid was soooo bored all the time that he and his father(retired SAS) played a game where they would guess the make, model and to a certain extent year of cars travelling down the highway near their farmhouse before they came into view. He got so good I never saw him guess wrong once.

I could always tell who was coming up my driveway because it was steep and friends cars all made distinctly different noises, if it was a car I'd never heard before it really stood out.

OP, how about you have some morals and dont work for shitbags like the port authority?

I hate this whole fucking green nanny state thing that is being shoved down our throat by a bunch of hippy greeny asswipe hipsters.