• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ockham's Razor - The Simplest Solution

powerspc

It Sounded Like a Good Idea at the Time
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2018
    English Franciscan friar William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347), was a scholastic philosopher and theologian who used a preference for simplicity to defend the idea of divine miracles. He is the Ockham being referenced in the law of parsimony or Ockham’s razor. A problem solving principle that dictated "entities should not be multiplied without necessity”. Basically, the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

I was thinking about him this morning as I was reading an article about the Black Lives Matter movement calling for the defunding and disassembly of Police Departments (hilarious), that perhaps we can invoke the spirit of a 14th century philosopher.

Although it’s been both interesting and at times tragic to observe all of the blustering, pontificating, protesting, rioting, violence, bloviating and sanctimonious claptrap being expressed by self-appointed experts; I’ve yet to hear a single elected Politician or Public Official suggest that maybe if people just stopped committing crimes…

The simplest solution.

P.s. Not a bad philosophy for the reloading bench either :)

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone?"

Ms. Rand possessed considerable wisdom and foresight.

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone?"

Ms. Rand possessed considerable wisdom and foresight.
    She was prophetic

• Love
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Dead or alive; she remains prophetic.

For those who may not know, she lived through the formative years of the Soviet Regime, escaped to the West, and based her writings off the hypocrisy of the Soviets.

I doubt she's taught in today's "institutions of higher learning".

More's the pity...

Greg

• Love
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Skin has nothing to do with it beyond Sneaches with stars. The elites of this country have declared that the criminal culture that exists in the ghettos is not only OK, black people are incapable of anything else, and if you're not OK with it you're a racist. Just as Biden said, if you're not onboard with this you can't be "Black".

Hence when the BLM or other leftists use the word "Justice" they mean something entirely different from what you're thinking when you hear that word. When you hear that word you probably think , "thugs thwarted, arsonists arrested, bandits booked, counterfeiters caught, forgers found, and chiselers chiseled." This is literally injustice if your perspective is from that of a criminal culture wherein violence and stealing against your "oppressors" is justice.

We are completely talking past each other, because the words have totally different meanings to us. Whenever I hear one of them say "justice" I know that to me it means to opposite, because that word is not some tribal thing to me. It is individual and universal. I'm just wrong. There are a ton of people who have completely redefined it to mean collective justice in the service of political goals.