• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCTOBER 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

Thread for posting scores for our monthly <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #CC9933">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION</span>" </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #009900">SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span>"</span> matches.

<span style="color: #FF0000">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION RULES </span>

SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Scores of both of the short range competitions will be posted in the same thread. If you shoot both the 4P and TRC, please use 2 different posts (one for each). At the end of the month, scores and rankings from both competitions will be posted as seperate events.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PREVIOUS <span style="color: #CC9933">4 POSITION</span> and <span style="color: #009900">50yd TACTICAL</span> SCORES </span>

SEPTEMBER 2010 scores

AUGUST 2010 scores

JULY 2010 scores

JUNE 2010 scores

MAY 2010 scores

April 2010 scores

March 2010 scores

February 2010 scores

January 2010 scores

DECEMBER 2009 SCORES

A place for a good source of tips, tricks, what worked, what didn't, rifle / ammo performance, thoughts, etc.:

Learnings thread for SH short range competitions

Re: OCTOBER 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Numbers to be shot in order for STAGE 2 for the 50Y TRC comp are:

8, 12, 13, 18, 20,

2, 15, 14, 11, 1.

Good Luck!

First time posting a score ... so I'll try to get this right:

Name: R788
Match: 25Y-4P
Class: S
Rifle: Ruger 10/22
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Remington Golden Bullet 36gr
TLB: 40-0x (offhand)
TRB: 34-2x (kneeling)
CB: 45-1x (sitting)
LLB: 48-1x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 48-1x (prone - bipod)
Total Score: 215-5x

50Y TRC B

38 DEG F, -3MPH WIND, 30% HUM, SUNNY

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: Savage MKII BV
Ammo: Aguila G. Eagle rifle match
Sights: 6-24 simmons prohunter
Rest: Bi-pod front, bag rear

Stage 1: 0/25
Stage 2: 30/50
Stage 3: 30/50
Stage 4: 35/65
Stage 5: 50/60

Total score: 145/250

Penalties: as the air temp was colder than usual, i didn't adjust for the different POI on the coldbore shot compared to summer. Hit the no shoot 7 instead of 11, outright missed 14 and 18 low. 1 round got out of the 3/4", which I figured "forced" me to go for the third circle on stage 4, glad I hit it to make up points.
OCT201050YTRC.jpg

25Y 4P

50 DEG F, -3MPH WIND, 30% HUM, SUNNY

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: Savage MKII BV
Ammo: Federal lightning
TLB: 40-0x (offhand)
TRB: 48-2x (kneeling)
CB: 49-2x (sitting)
LLB: 46-0x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-4x (prone - bipod)

Total Score: 233 - 8x

rushed the offhand and unsupported targets, should have taken more time. except for 1 pulled shot on kneeling, i think i finally have sitting and kneeling squared away.
OCT201025Y4P.jpg

Nice shooting TP. I have to hit the range myself tomorrow for some SH short range matches. Looking forward to posting a tactical target score, as well as a 4 position.

Hey TP. Looks like 40 points on the group to me. Why is it marked as only 30 points?

Here is my "50Y TRC B" results for October

Name: Joe Martin
Rifle: Marlin 925
Ammo: Aguila Golden Eagle Target
Sights: Scope - 6-24x42 Tasco
Rest: Bi-pod (off bench)

Stage 1: 25
Stage 2: 50
Stage 3: 30
Stage 4: 0
Stage 5: 30

Total Score: 135

100_0623.jpg

After finding the right ammo that works best in this Marlin 925, stages 1 & 2 went off without a hitch.

In 'Stage 3' I connected with the first 4 shots inside the circle, and then I shot my 5th shot high left. One bad shot here can cost you twenty points...

Stage 4,,, again I started out ok only to stop and think out my third shot of whether or not I should "pad my nest" and go for the 20 point circle... Bad mistake! I should have just gone for it without thinking it out as I had no intensions of going for the 1/4" - 30 point dot at all (which of course I didn't) as my 3rd shot here in this stage negated any thoughts of that.

Stage 5,,, what can I say... I was spent mentally (dwelling on the two bad shots from Stage 3 & 4), and the above results showed up to haunt me. I know better then to let this happen but I fell into the over thinking mode and it cost me...

All in all,,, I love shooting this target!!! You can experience so many things with it. It's a great comp target to shoot.

Someone proof my score and make sure I scored it correctly. Thanks!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey TP. Looks like 40 points on the group to me. Why is it marked as only 30 points?</div></div>

4 hits = 40
1 miss =-10
.......= 30

Oh I didn't know you took a penalty for missing. I just thought you missed out on 10 points. Gotcha!

Hey, how big are the bullseyes supposed to print out? I printed some at the start of the month and they came out 4 1/8 inches. Printed more tonight and they came out 3 1/4.

Naturally, I hit better on the bigger ones!

if you go to the printable targets, right click on it, save to your desktop (or another file) then print it out, it should size correctly.

if i remember correctly:

cold bore inner bull is 1/2", outer 1"
group circle 3/4"
know your limits 1", 3/4", 1/2", 1/4".

Sorry, I meant the 4P target. The one with 5 bullseyes.

With a cheap 4x32, I can't see enough of the Tactical to shoot it.

Thanks!

they were made up to mimic and help with not having to print or purchase 5 seperate nra TQ 3/5 or A12 targets for all of the postions.

as only one "complete" TQ 3/5 or A12 will fit on a regular 8.5 x 11 printer paper, only the 10 ring out to the 7 scoring ring was used to be able to fit 5 targets on 2 pieces of paper.

the darkest center (x and 10 ring) is the "true" bull, the rest is shaded to help see it better, especially for the guys with low magnification, red dots, or open sights.

So the whole thing should pretty well fill 2 pages? That makes the "true bull" 1 1/16 inches and the 7 ring 4 1/8.

The other way makes the 10-ring 7/8 and the 7-ring 3 1/4. At my skill level that 20% difference in size impacts scores.

Thanks! Still hoping to post a 50-yard score before the month is out ...

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Here's my October 25Y-4P Scores </span> </span>

25Y-4P

Class: A (TSR200 Aperture)
Rifle: Ruger 10/22
Ammo: Aguila SuperExtra - (1135 fps)
TLB: 42-0x (offhand)
TRB: 45-1x (kneeling)
CB: 47-0x (setting)
LLB: 48-2x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 48-2x (prone - unsupported)

Total Score: 230-5x

Class: O (Open Iron Sights)
Rifle: Marlin 925
Ammo: Eley Sport (1085 fps)
TLB: 43-0 (offhand)
TRB: 45-1x (kneeling)
CB: 48-2x (setting)
LLB: 47-0x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 48-1x (prone - unsupported)

Total Score: 231-4x

Hi Freinds,
I have been absent from the competitions for two months.
With appleseeds, public sight in days and bedding problems.
Mid july this year I thought it was scope problems. Then thought it was operator error. I did shoot a tactical target on the last day in Sept with a score of -20.
Shot another in early Oct again, -20.
In an attempt to sight in my 10-22, I discovered after loading the first round went wild like 8-12 minutes. Then it walked to a spot and made a group.
Two weeks of evenings behind me now first scraping away all the acraglass.
Bought a beding kit from rimfire techonoligies and was dissapointed that it contained a handfull of parts that could be picked up at the hardware store for less than 10 bucks.
It contained clear instructions that did add value to the kit.
So with some kit parts, a 7/8 pillar block fabricated on the second attempt on a drill press some JB Weld and RTV sillycone.
After market trigger group, I cleaned out the paint inside the action, polished the camming surface of the bolt (it looked like a raw casting there).

It shot good today. Now its time to work on the rifle's real weakness which is the operator, ole clod.

Today is the first day of Montana's five week long general big game season.

Don't expect a target from me real soon.

Good shooting.

Date: 24 Oct. 2010, 1:30pm.
Condition: Cloudy.
Light: Bright.
Temp: 70°F.
Wind: 3 MPH, variable.
Humidity: 61%.
Pressure: 30.17"
Altitude: 1400'

Name: MEAT4272
Rifle: CZ-452
Ammo: Remington Target Rifle (Eley)
Sights: SS 10x42
Rest: range bag front, sand bag rear

Match: TRC 50 Yard B

Stage 1: 10/25
Stage 2: 30/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 0/65
Stage 5: 30/60

Total score: 80/250

TRCBOCT2010.jpg

Thanks

i think you actually scored 40 in the 2nd stage grid, the misses are no points, but hitting a no shoot is -5.

you have 8 hits / 12, 13, 20, 2, 15, 14, 11, and 1
2 clean misses with 8 and 18 (didn't break any line of another box)

i'm thinking you are 90 / 250.

anyone second that?

Looks like 90 to me. I'll second that.

I never had a chance to shoot the tactical this month.

looks like 90

I have reread the rules a number of times and I am not clear on what class a rifle falls in if shooting a non-magnified red dot,

Thanks

Actually it is "L" Class... TP and I talked about this but we never got the rule changed from;

2. Four (4) Sight Classes - (S) = Scope, (L) = Laser, (A) = Aperture, (O) = Open Iron

TO

2. Four (4) Sight Classes - (S) = Scope, (R) = Red Dot, (A) = Aperture, (O) = Open Iron

So just lable it like this when reporting your score;

Class: R (Red-Dot)

smile.gif

^ Gotcha. I was thinking laser as in a laser that touches the target. So the next best thing was aperture or a reflex sight. Good stuff.

Perfect timing

Headed to the range with both rifles for a little cold weather shooting 39 degrees.

Thanks

changed now to L/R to cover both:

2. Four (4) Sight Classes - (S) = Scope, (L/R) = Laser or Red dot, (A) = Aperture, (O) = Open Iron

Thanks TP!
smile.gif

50 yd Tactical PRONE

Name: Carter Mayfield
Rifle: 40X Krieger Barrel
Ammo: Eley Match
Sights: Scope
Rest: Bipod, Rear Bag

Stage 1: 25/25
Stage 2: 50/50
Stage 3: 50/50
Stage 4: 65/65
Stage 5: 60/60

TOTAL: 250

Comments: Folks, I am on fire this month. I should have my highest Smack the Smiley score ever (assuming it gets scored the way I scored it). I shot my second best ever on the 200 yd and my best ever on the 100 yard at my local range (I have still shot better at my ranch).

I think the reason that I am shooting so well right now is the reps. Between the 100 yard comp, the 200 yard comp, the short range comp, and STS, and even practice a time or two, I am pulling the trigger a lot. And I have learned how to make my trigger pull even more consistent.

A big plus about this comp is that I have learned how to judge my cold bore really well. It is surprisingly consistent at high .2 mils and right about .15 mils. If you see my shot placement, it is high and right... that is me aiming at the bottom left corner of the circle. I bullseyed the 30 pt KYL aiming at the top of the circle.

If I get comfortable enough about it, I might start shooting STS with a cold bore shot.

Here's the target:
102910SH50ydTactical.jpg

How about that five shot group?!?! I measured it at .14" C-to-C. That is one of my better groups, for sure. My average is in the 2's.

Yes Sir, Carter. That is a good group.
I shot a target a few weeks ago. If the wind slows down this weekend I'll shoot another, as the first one really sucks. If I can't re-shoot it I'll post the first target. I am looking forward to seeing what the colder weather does to the .22's
I have a little trigger time with the 17 HMR now & that thing is a straight shooter! I have only used Hornady & CCI ammo, but they both work well, with the CCI showing a little better. It's close enough that I would be happy with either. I'll probably go with the Hornady because I can stop by Powder Valley & pick it up & save close to $3.00 a box over buying it at the gun shop or or the CCI's at Wal Mart.

That's one damn fine group Carter. I just got a new PB of .20" exactly. So I'm looking to get into the 1's now like you.

What's a PB?

The weather definitely helps. It was 75 degrees with calm winds when I shot this. When it gets too cold, my gun does not group as well. 70 - 85 is ideal. Hopefully, I will get an extended period of this kind of weather. I was luck to have a cool June and July and it has been relatively warm for October, which has given me some pretty good shooting.

I knew I should have shot the 50y tactical target the same day I shot the 100y prone. Between harvest, tillage and driving to ND now for work, time has slipped through my fingers. I haven't even had time to chase tree rats yet this fall.

Nice shooting guys.

This is my target for October. Shot it a few weekends ago & didn't get / take the time to re-shoot. Used the Savage TRR & CCI ammo. Looking back, I guess I forgot to remember to shoot the 1 in stage 2. Got greedy with the "Know When to Stop" stage & flat blew the group shot. Enjoyed it though.
smile.gif

October 2010 SH Short Range Rimfire Target
kansas 45
Savage MKII TRR
Scope
CCI Mini Mag.
Stage 1 = 25
Stage 2 = 40
Stage 3 = 20
Stage 4 = 0
Stage 5 = 0
Total 85
SHOctobermatchtarget001.jpg

Here's my October 25Y-4P Scores

25Y-4P

Name: haptoshoot
Rifle: Savage MK II TR
Ammo: Wolf match - (1080 fps)
TLB: 45-0x (offhand)
TRB: 47-1x (kneeling)
CB: 49-2x (setting)
LLB: 50 -4x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-5x (prone - unsupported)

Total Score: 241-12x

I really need to get a photo bucket account so I can upload pics. I am looking for input 'reading' my targets.

These matches have been greeat as I'm motived to shoot for score more often.

Thanks for all your efforts and the great posts

Hi Carter and Kansas,

Looks like you are still using an older version of the target. You can grab the latest version from the PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS thread. On the latest version there have been a couple of scoring changes (s2&s3) and s2 is actually easier now that the boxes have been spread out some (not that you need help Carter!).

PB I assume stands for Personal Best.

Cheers,
Shaz

Thanks, Shaz. I printed a whole bunch when we did the first release. When I run out, I will "upgrade" to the new target.

I should have figured PB = Personal Best.

Thanks shaz. Like Carter I printed several of the old targets. I'll use them for practice & shoot for score with the new ones I just printed. I'm still learning what the Savage TR likes & how it reacts. Together, we are getting better, but still have a ways to go to catch up with the FV. The new 17 HMR TR is almost like shooting a laser. I'll shoot & turn in a target with it after I get a good one with the .22 TR. This Short Range Competition is a great training tool.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">OCTOBER 2010 SHORT RANGE SCORES</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">25Y 4P</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR S CLASS</span>

1. HAPTOSHOOT..........241 - 12X
smile.gif

2. TOP PREDATOR.........233 - 8X
3. R788.....................215 - 5X

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR A CLASS</span>

1. JOE MARTIN..........230 - 8X

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR O CLASS</span>

1. JOE MARTIN..........231 - 4X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC B</span></span>

1. TOP PREDATOR...............145
2. JOE MARTIN...................135
3. MEAT4272......................90
4. KANSAS45......................85

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC P</span></span>

1. CARTER MAYFIELD......<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANOTHER 250 !!!</span></span> (3 months in a row)
shocked.gif

Congratulations to HAPTOSHOOT, winner of the 25Yy 4P, TOP PREDATOR in the 50 Y TRC Bench, how about CARTER MAYFIELD scoring another perfect 250 points on the 50Y TRC Prone.

Now on to November, a time for Thanksgiving - I give thanks for Sniper's Hide and the good folk that frequent here.

Geeeez Carter... slow down a bit!! Excellent shooting as always Bro!!

If I can manage to piece together a rimfire worth shooting, I would like to get in on this one too. Carter... You Da Man!!

DK

Interesting!

as an alternate .22 training aid....most areas have metallic Silhouette shooting.... all done off hand from 40M-50M-77M and 100 meters.... 10 shots at each distance...5 shots in 2.5 minutes....40 rounds total..... it`s a trip to knock over steel animals....great practice for hunting.....