• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

OCW "after" the test question

KevinSC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Hello all,

I have recently used the OCW test to establish a load in my 6.5 Creedmor with good results. However, when I did the test it was almost twenty degrees cooler out and now that it's heating up my load is showing signs of over pressure. Considering the progressions that it took to get to this load, what step or steps should I use to to find a lower "node"?

Kevin

Do you have a chrono, if you do did you chrono the load when you decided on your node? My first idea would be (if you have access to a chrono) to back off the load untill you are at the velocity of your original node and then see what results you get.

If you don't have access to a chrono I think the simplest thing would be to back off a grain or two until you are no longer showing pressure signs and then re-work a short OCW test around that charge weight.

If you properly identified the OCW, your next lower node should be 3 percent less powder than what you've come up with now. Try a group or two with that amount, and report back and we can go from there.

Dan

Dan,

Here is a pic of the original results. If I understand your method correctly, I ended up going with the 40.5 as the middle charge. Do you concurr, or am I not reading the results correctly?

Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 18
First of all... the rifle is extremely accurate--that's well evident.

The scatter nodes are are 40.5 and 41.7, at the usual 3 percent spacing.

That means the accuracy nodes are 41.0 grains, and dropping 3 percent, we get 39.8 grains.

Load up some at 39.8 grains and rock on... that should take care of the problem. You could still run 41 grains in cold weather, if you can avoid pressure signs.

Dan