• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW professionals - what say ye?

EXSOCAL

Send it...
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Idaho
2 OCW tests, done as per Dan Newberry's instructions...

First -
.308 Win
Lapua Brass - Full prep
185 Berger BPTH Seated to AICS mag length - 2.8500 (2.034 to Ogive)
Powder - Varget
100 Yards - 3 Shot groups shot "round robin"
No blatant pressure signs, measured case webs, no expansion, sticky bolt lift on the very last charge weight (only 2 of the 3 rounds, not heavy at all)

IMAG0006.jpg

Second
.308 Win
Lapua Brass - Full prep
185 Berger BPTH Seated to AICS mag length - 2.8500 (2.034 to Ogive)
Powder - 2000MR
100 Yards - 3 Shot groups shot "round robin"
No blatant pressure signs, this powder seems to flatten out primers more than Varget at all charge weights, no web expansion, bolt lift seemed to tighten up a bit on the last charge weight. No real obvious extractor marks.

IMAG0008.jpg

And its hard to see here, but here is the brass from the Varget batch.

IMAG0007.jpg

Unfortunately the chrono was acting up today so no chrono data.

For the VArget batch I was looking at exploring the 43.8 gr. node - It looks fairly consistent in the group placement in the nodes above and below.

For the 2000MR batch, the 47 gr. node looks promising with similarly placed groups in the nodes above and below.

Am I on the right track? After this I will take the target node and the nodes above and below and load 5 each and get some chrono data and re-verify grouping. ANy comments, suggestions, wisdom, etc??

Re: OCW professionals - what say ye?

For Varget I would look at the 44.2 group and work either side of it in smaller (.02) increments. Say 43.7 to 44.5. For 2000MR looks like 47.4 and again I would work either side. I'm mostly concerned with vertical since I don't adjust for windage during these test. If it will hold good vertical you can tighten up the groups from there.

There was not a whole lot of vertical dispersion in the varget - I would estimate that between the 42.8 and 44.2 charges there might be .15 difference between the centers of the groups and probably close to the same for the 46.6 - 47.8 charges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOCAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was not a whole lot of vertical dispersion in the varget - I would estimate that between the 42.8 and 44.2 charges there might be .15 difference between the centers of the groups and probably close to the same for the 46.6 - 47.8 charges. </div></div>
This.

if and when you retest or verify this load your rifle is very accurate, so perform the testing out at 200 or 300 yards. This will assist is greatly by visually being able to see the accuracy nodes.

Thanks for the tip, I will definately try and stretch it out to 300 or so and get some chrono data next time.