• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW results and load

Morgan321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2013
30-06, 168gr amax and rl19. I loaded 55-57gr in 0.4 increments and shot them today. Maximum load is 58-61gr depending on your information source. #1 is 55gr, #2 is 55.4, etc. I'm pretty confident the flyers on 2 and 4 are from me. Neglecting those two rounds it turned out OK I think? I didn't have time to load more rounds and shoot them at 100yd. Next weekend I am going to investigate the #3 load and maybe around 59gr?

First question: if a 30 cal 168gr amax needs 47moa at 1000yds above a 100yd zero what is the muzzle velocity?

Second question: the loads were very light, lighter than the m72 garand ammo I often use(which is much lighter than modern 30-06 factory ammo). All the brass looked identical with no signs of pressure. If the whole 3% to the next node holds true around 59gr might also look good, would that be worth testing?

Third question: I loaded 5 more of the 55.8gr rounds and shot them at 1000yds, took 3 rounds to find the 47moa of elevation needed, couldn't hit the target with the last two(10x14 steel plate) but scared it good. 47moa seems like a lot of elevation for a modern round like an amax? This and the light recoil make me think I can up the load significantly. But is a light load necessarily bad? If it goes faster it will drift less and presumably be more accurate if it groups the same size right?

Last question: never shot past a couple hundred yards before, was hitting a mini-silouette steel plate at 600yds OK. Had 6 rounds left when we got to the 1000yd mark. Took two to get the elevation and just barely missed all of the last four rounds I had, but they were very close.

I'm debating shooting 1000yd more often(it's a 1.5hr drive unfortunately). Should I just switch to a 190smk now rather than later? Seems the BC improvement would be beneficial?

PS: I loaded the amax rounds with a lee loader and a hammer. The hornady match ammo(81170) groups around 1.25moa for me, #3 is well under 1moa. I am pleased with how the lee loader works. Any comments other than to get a press?

IWVJBhb.jpg

I think I answered some of my own questions: I put numbers into jbm ballistics web page and got about 2425ft/s needing 47moa of elevation(30.22, 30c, and about 100msl with a BC of 0.475). Is that correct? It also showed that as being right at mach at 1000yd.

The load info that most closely corresponds is from an old speer manual that lists a 165gr as 2350ft/s with 55.0gr. It lists a max of 59gr at 2614ft/s. Should I try around the 58gr range of stick with what I got today?

I also have never reloaded before today. I've heard many people say manuals are conservative even with their maximum listings. Is there a rule of thumb on exceeding listed maximum loads if you step up slowly and have no problems?

I also feel like I should try a slightly faster burning powder. But I have no experience to go on. Good idea or not?

If you read the OCW page, Dan mentions going ABOVE the "max" load. Because the increments are small (less than 1% charge weight increment), if one charge shows NO pressure signs, the next will be safe to fire.

When I did my workup for my .308, Sierra manual showed max of 41.7 grains of Varget. I ran my OCW up to just over 45 grains. NO pressure signs.

I had accuracy nodes at 43.5 and 44.8 grains. BOTH over the Sierra "max".

Is there anything inherently wrong with a relatively light load? The 2-4 groups are pretty consistent poi and tight too! Any disadvantage to staying in that range knowing that its a relatively weak load?

Only a problem if you try to go out to long ranges. You want the bullet to remain supersonic to the target range. Also, slower means more drop at longer ranges.

My club does some vintage sniper rifle comps at 100 yards. I was thinking of loading up some light loads for a Mosin. No need for high velocity with 100 yards. :)

You may want to torque this load up a bit, unless you want to relegate it to closer ranges (inside 600 yards or so)... with a lower density load, you'll very likely have a large extreme spread of velocity, which would turn into long vertical strings at long ranges.

That said, though... I would think--unless you have a very short barrel--that you'd be getting better than 2600 fps from a charge around 57 grains. I could be wrong... but I might rather suspect something funny with the scope, requiring 47 MOA for 1000 yards. Too, your ballistic program should be accounting for your elevation. I put 2450 into JBM at our altitude (around 2500 ft), and it shows the bullet going subsonic at just over 900 yards. I would suspect that in Maryland you are lower in altitude than we are here, which would make it sub out even sooner...

So if you're getting consistent groupings at 1000 yards with this bullet, my guess is it's got to be going at least 2600 fps, which ought not need but around 40 MOA.

If you're just splatting them in and around the berm at 1000, perhaps they are subsonic... but you must have a very slow, or very short barrel if that's the case.

Dan

I have a 20" 300 WM and I am always over the max load with 208's and 230's.
I worked each load up slowly and watched for any pressure signs. I cant touch the 2900's-3000's but I can hit 2600's with 230gr Hybrids.