• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW test?

Dildobaggins

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
This was a complete shit show. I realize this.

This is for a 6.5 grendel. So I was loading ammo. Started at 29 grains of h335 and got to 29.9 had the ammo on my bench and my 170 pound mastiff came down chasing my cat and smashed my table. Those rounds got all mixed up, so I figured I'd just use them for sighters and target practice...the very bottom targets are 3 shot groups with that mixes ammo.

so I re- reloaded from 28.7 to 31.4 of H335 and 95 grain VMAX. The groups from 28.7 to 29.9 are sub MOA or close to it. Many shots went in the same holes. Once I got to 30+ grains, I shot 1 and it was like 2.5 inches high. Thought I pulled it. Went to the next charge, and same thing. Thought my scope came loose. Checked. Fine. Took some of the mixed bag rounds and shot 2 more sub MOA group...

back to OCW test. After 30+ grains they all went about 2.5 in high and went everywhere. Some well over two inch groups.

so, is that what a scatter group is? It just seems odd that it went from sub MOA to 2 inch groups from a .3+ grain jump? Should I reassess the rifle? Again, I realize this test needs to be done on a better back drop, preferably a grid but I used what I had. Yes laugh and make fun of me. Haha
IMG_20221213_145128_hdr.jpg

So it tells me that you want to explore the lower end of that spectrum. From what I can make of what you did.
I'm having a hard time making out what I did. But will do. In your opinion, should I shoot 5 shot groups again, from the lower nodes or high round counts like 10 for each group?

I'm having a hard time making out what I did. But will do. In your opinion, should I shoot 5 shot groups again, from the lower nodes or high round counts like 10 for each group?
Personally, I would do 5 shot groups of 28.5, 28.7, 28.9, 29.1 and 29.3. Get a bit finer resolution on that area since they seem to be impacting in the same general area relative to your aim point.

If this is out of an AR15 then I would put a 6th round that you dont shoot in the bottom of the mag so that the last round doesnt act differently. My last round always seems to be a flier like in your 28.7, 29.0 and 29.3 groups seem to have due to pressure up on the bolt carrier I guess.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Personally, I would do 5 shot groups of 28.5, 28.7, 28.9, 29.1 and 29.3. Get a bit finer resolution on that area since they seem to be impacting in the same general area relative to your aim point.

If this is out of an AR15 then I would put a 6th round that you dont shoot in the bottom of the mag so that the last round doesnt act differently. My last round always seems to be a flier like in your 28.7, 29.0 and 29.3 groups seem to have due to pressure up on the bolt carrier I guess.
Interesting. I had the same thing happen on 2 targets with the last round. I'll give that a go!

I agree in testing from 28.5 to 29.3. The 29.0 and 29.3 groups appears like there could be something there. Tight groups might be possible there, depending on what kind of rests being use and shooter mechanics.

I agree in testing from 28.5 to 29.3. The 29.0 and 29.3 groups appears like there could be something there. Tight groups might be possible there, depending on what kind of rests being use and shooter mechanics.
Sounds like a plan! Using a bald eagle big fifty front rest with a protektor rabbit ear bag. Just put a single stage TT diamond in it, but the gun is on the light side, around 9 pounds scoped.. I dry fire everyday, mechanics are "okay." I guess Wish, I could find a class around me to learn some things in person.

Sounds like a plan! Using a bald eagle big fifty front rest with a protektor rabbit ear bag. Just put a single stage TT diamond in it, but the gun is on the light side, around 9 pounds scoped.. I dry fire everyday, mechanics are "okay." I guess Wish, I could find a class around me to learn some things in person.
Those rests are very similar to what I use. And I use a 3" rider on my hand guards for testing, like this one, to help keep everything as stable as possible.

Two other things helped in tightening up my groups:
* Light trigger pull (mine at 12oz)
* High magnification scope with fine crosshairs

If you haven't really addressed it yet, with a 9 lb carry gun, I imagine it's easy to flinch in anticipation of the recoil when pulling a shot. Every once in a while, I find myself not thinking about that and doing it and of course resulting in POI that's not where it should be. And the two guns I shoot a lot are 17lbs. ;)

If you write your charge weights on your cases with sharpie. You can sort them if they get mixed, and you know for sure which cases had which charge when inspecting them.

Does your barrel string really bad, or did something possibly come loose mid test? I am not sure i have seen the POI move so far working across charge weights.

If you write your charge weights on your cases with sharpie. You can sort them if they get mixed, and you know for sure which cases had which charge when inspecting them.

Does your barrel string really bad, or did something possibly come loose mid test? I am not sure i have seen the POI move so far working across charge weights.
Good idea! It does string from time to time, but I suspect thats all on me? I thought something came loose mid test. I checked the scope and it seemed fine. After the big POI shift, I went back to the mixed bag of rounds between 29-29.9 grains and shot (2) 3 round groups and they both were sub MOA. Then after the test I had a few more and did some more 3 round groups all sub moa and back to were the original POI was in the beginning. I will inspect the rifle thoroughly tomorrow though. I will say that the barrel was getting a little hot and I was getting a mirage. But even with the mirage I shot 3 round sub moa groups, and I've never seen that big of a jump even with barrels that I've shot that were extremely warm.

Last edited:
Those rests are very similar to what I use. And I use a 3" rider on my hand guards for testing, like this one, to help keep everything as stable as possible.

Two other things helped in tightening up my groups:
* Light trigger pull (mine at 12oz)
* High magnification scope with fine crosshairs

If you haven't really addressed it yet, with a 9 lb carry gun, I imagine it's easy to flinch in anticipation of the recoil when pulling a shot. Every once in a while, I find myself not thinking about that and doing it and of course resulting in POI that's not where it should be. And the two guns I shoot a lot are 17lbs. ;)
I'm looking at the TT diamond for my tenacity action. The lightest trigger I've found for the AR platform was timney Calvin elite and the TT diamond which I just bought. My scope is a 6-24, but I'd be glad to have higher magnification. I used to flinch all the time, now I find myself enjoying the recoil, haha. I have a hard time getting a consistent trigger pull when dry firing. That I have noticed. With the sighters today I tried free recoiling the gun and with the 1.5 pound trigger it actually moved the gun rearward before the hammer dropped.

@spife7980 @straightshooter1 this one turned out much better. I pulled two shots, or at least it felt like I did. I gotta get my WOA AR out and get my confidence back. I'm still not overly thrilled. But what say you two? Would you go with 28.5gr? Thanks for all the help BTW.
IMG_20221214_133710_hdr.jpg

I’d explore a bit closer to it on either side to verify and build confidence. Followed by seating depth.
Maybe test it at 500 too if you want to see what it’s actually doing out there.

I’d explore a bit closer to it on either side to verify and build confidence. Followed by seating depth.
Maybe test it at 500 too if you want to see what it’s actually doing out there.
Sounds like a plan. I'll load some more up at 28.5 and 30.0. I have a cronograph coming next week as well. I'd like to know the velocities of these. Furthest I can go is about 300 so I'll give that a go

@spife7980 @straightshooter1 this one turned out much better. I pulled two shots, or at least it felt like I did. I gotta get my WOA AR out and get my confidence back. I'm still not overly thrilled. But what say you two? Would you go with 28.5gr? Thanks for all the help BTW.View attachment 8021441
In looking at this one and your previous set of targets, I like the 28.8 (maybe a tenth of a grain less) and would now see what some seating depth changes will do.

Sounds like a plan. I'll load some more up at 28.5 and 30.0. I have a cronograph coming next week as well. I'd like to know the velocities of these. Furthest I can go is about 300 so I'll give that a go
I was thinking more of 28.4, 28.5, 28.6, 28.7, 28.8 to verify what its doing is repeatable and consistent so that next weekend after you load up 500 of them you find out you were just getting fluke results (it sucks having a bunch of bad ammo)