• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report OCW vs Ladder test

The_AKD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
Ive always done ladder test at 500 & 600y to develop my rounds. Figure if im shooting at distance, test at distance.

Thinking about trying a new bullet out using the OCW test at 100y.

Anyone use the OCW test and still have stable bullets accurate out at 1000y ?

Wondering witch you do and what kind of results you have.

Re: OCW vs Ladder test

I use QL & OBT at 100 yards. But I only shoot groundhogs out to 850 yards.

Testing long distance rounds at 100 yards doesn't give you the best data. Shoot it at 300, maybe 200 as the shortest. Almost all that shoot well at 300, shoot well at distance. The old school load work method works the best and gives you the most information with the least amount of shots when shot through a chrono. I've never understood why people use the ladder and OCW method. I works, but with a lot more rounds and several range trips.

Shoot for group over the chrono at 300 and look for the lowest SD numbers. If they shoot well at 300 they will probably, but not always, shoot well at 600. If they shoot well at 600 they will very likely shoot well for a few hundred yards farther than that. Test at 1000 if you always shoot at 1000. But in the tactical game, when you're prone off a bi-pod, after 800 it's hard to isolate what is load-specific and what is shooter error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Testing long distance rounds at 100 yards doesn't give you the best data. Shoot it at 300, maybe 200 as the shortest. Almost all that shoot well at 300, shoot well at distance. The old school load work method works the best and gives you the most information with the least amount of shots when shot through a chrono. I've never understood why people use the ladder and OCW method. I works, but with a lot more rounds and several range trips. </div></div>

Just curious to what you mean by old school method?

I usually do a ladder test, than take the high node and use 3 rd groups of .2 to get my optimal load.

Thats kinda ladder + OCW eh ? Is there a way i could improve with less time and ammo ?

Could you please post links to something describing the methods you are speaking of in more detail? I've been chrono'ing but using my own methods to get to averages and whatnot. Thanks in advance.

I like the OCW testing. I've had good results useing it at 200 to develope loads for my LTR to 1K. Its easy for me to rap my head around how it works and I think it does a little better job than some other methods at eliminating some variables that may cloud results. I really dont think it is too critical at what range you do your initial load developement. In the end, you'll have to fine tune at the distance that is a priority to you, if there is a particular one. A good load should perform well at any range the cartridge is capable though.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the OCW testing. I've had good results useing it at 200 to develope loads for my LTR to 1K. Its easy for me to rap my head around how it works and I think it does a little better job than some other methods at eliminating some variables that may cloud results. I really dont think it is too critical at what range you do your initial load developement. In the end, you'll have to fine tune at the distance that is a priority to you, if there is a particular one. A good load should perform well at any range the cartraige is capable though.

okie </div></div>

What are your groups like out to 700y + ?

Ladder Pros:
- Minimal shots required
- Lots of good information comes out of it

Ladder Cons:
- Bad shooting ruins the entire thing
- Might require more than one range trip

OCW Pros:
- Easier to comprehend
- More forgiving because it utilises multiple shots per load

OCW Cons:
- Uses more components to get the job done
- Can often lead people in the wrong direction especially with vertical stringing

My advice is to use a chrony where possible to confirm everything.

My feelings on the subject are that consistent shot to shot muzzle velocities speak for themselves. The smaller the ES/SD the better.

If i get bad results I put it up to shooter error, equipment failure or simply bad reloading habits (excessive runout)... and then again what some may consider bad is very subjective.

Reactions: chadp

I've been trying to wrap my brain around the ladder and OCW and it seems that both methods allow you to pick a node of shots that allow for powder weight tolerance ,so if i throw a shot charge slightly above or below it wont deviate as much.
So i shoot and see that a string or node that say at 44.2, 44.4, 44.6 grains of are the closest in a string of shots so I call 44.4 my OCW and then start tweeking my seating depth for accuracy.
If I'm working on a 1000 yard load I choose the node closest to highest velocity that will still crack (super sonic) over the target without pressure signs and tweek seating depth etc. for accuracy.
I've got to say I have always done it wrong. finding the optimum seating depth, fill the case with water, convert to charge weight with powder chart. do the pressure math. load 5 rounds and shoot em and look..then plot the bullet drop for hold over at given ranges....
Dang pretty soon I'll have a PHD...puttin holes downrange....