• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd ball scope base help

unclemoak

d.wilson mfg
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2008
Englewood, CO
www.dwilsonmfg.com
I came into some 700 pattern receivers made by Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT Defense) years ago when they were still in Illinois. I am not quite sure what scope base will work since it differs from a Remington 700 receiver in that it's fully round.

Does anyone know of a scope base like this?

signal-2024-01-05-171550_004.jpeg

Some quick measurements and browsing the EGW website, the hole spacing seems to match that of a Remington 700

1704501360652.png

I think defiance made some actions that were round top (that didn't have an integral rail). I think they still offer bases for sale for their round top actions, you might want to reach out to them, see if you can get the specs on their rails.

A lot of aftermarket 700 clone makers make full round 700 style actions. Your reviewer diameter should be 1.35". I don't remember what 700 hole spacing is but it looks to be standard. Call any aftermarket mount/rail maker, they probably stock what you're looking for. If not, you can get a blank rail and have it drilled to match. I prefer Ken Farrel mounts and rings because I've always had excellent customer service, give them a call 660-438-9456, check out his web site.

20240107_210712.jpg

I just checked my CAD drawings. The model is stiller tac30. The white holes (sketch) is rem700. Front line up, rear doesnt.

Yes its a MARS clone rail.

There was no indication in the OP that you've done anything to help yourself besides create this post.

Fair, I guess one can never assume that people actually run the trap line a bit before posting.

I do basically work for LMT, so I did check with LMT engineering prior to posting. Unfortunately these receivers are old enough that the paper prints were from a time long before many of them worked there.

Reactions: Tokay444
Defiance is rem700 from what ive heard. Now that ive said that... they wont be.

Doesnr defiance list it on their site ? They are normally really good with tech support, and if i was you, id drill / tap to suit a new standard to give you options. Unless you receiver ends up looking like a spuhr chassis front end.... then dont.

@unclemoak, if you want, I can send you (for free) 3 original Stiller Mk13 scope bases to mess around with on your receivers. The Stiller Mk13 receivers are fully round, so they should fit the profile of your 2 LMT receivers perfectly. However since your receivers have a Remington 700 long action screw hole pattern and the scope base has the Stiller Mk13 screw hole pattern, some modification on the 2 rear scope base screw holes is needed (this is very easy to do).

Here's a few photos of the 3 Stiller Mk13 scope bases, all 3 bases are new in bag and include the original mounting screws. These bases also have 20 MOA of elevation added, which is a desirable characteristic that you're probably also looking for.

PFiGss8.jpeg

FysolvH.jpeg

8TNMRCi.jpeg

Here's one of the Stiller Mk13 scope bases on an original Remington M24 long action receiver (it's not a fully round receiver, but that doesn't matter for the screw hole comparison). I used this receiver as example to show the Stiller base screw hole pattern in comparison to the screw hole pattern on the Remington long action receiver (since that's the screw hole pattern on your 2 receivers). This is what the Stiller scope bases will look like when you out them on your receivers.

Notice that the 2 front screw holes in the long action receiver line up perfectly with the 2 front screw holes in the Stiller scope base. No modification needed here.

However, the 2 screw holes at the other end of the Stiller scope base don't line up with the 2 rear receiver screw holes. The rearmost screw hole on the Stiller base is very close to lining up with the rearmost screw hole on the Remington receiver. You could just open up this rear screw hole in the Stiller base a little bit, and then it should line up with the corresponding screw hole in the Remington receiver. So, this is a very simple fix for this scope base screw hole. Or you could plug the rearmost screw hole in the scope base, and then drill a new rear screw hole. Do this if you don't want to open up the rearmost screw hole in the base and then have an oval-shaped hole instead of a nice round hole. So, you have 2 options for this one.

The screw holes that don't line up at all are the rear receiver and scope base holes in the rear right by the receiver's open port (the one in front of the rear-most screw holes). The receiver and base screw holes don't line up at all, so this needs to be modified. The easiest way to do this is to measure the distance from the rearmost screw hole in the receiver to the other rear screw hole in the receiver (they aren't very far apart). Then, measure this same distance on the scope base starting at the rearmost screw hole on the base and measuring towards the front of the scope base. Mark the location for where the other rear screw hole should be in the scope base, and then drill it out. You can then plug the hole that doesn't line up at all, and then refinish the scope base.

O6PGKKi.jpeg

4aRK0sB.jpeg

Here's a view of the 2 front screw holes, notice that the holes in the receiver and the holes in the scope base line up perfectly:

qQXDrMQ.jpeg

Here's a view of the 2 rear screw holes, notice that the holes in the receiver and the holes in the scope base don't line up. The rearmost screw hole in the scope base (next to the "07" marking) is close to lining up with the rearmost receiver screw hole. As you can see, the other rear screw hole in the scope base (the left screw hole in the photo) doesn't line up with the corresponding screw hole in the receiver, so a new hole needs to be drilled into the scope base.

76bSbES.jpeg

You can see in the photos that yhere are 2 tiny holes in the scope base, these were probably added to index the scope base or hold it in place when it was being made. I've seen similar holes that were for the same purpose in Crane made Mk13 scope bases. You can either leave these holes as is, or plug them with a pin before refinishing the scope base.

Your shop is known for it's great work, so you should be able to make very quick work with the modifications for the rear screw holes in the scope base. And since it's a fully round scope base, it will fit onto your fully round receivers perfectly! I figure that drilling and plugging a few holes is a lot easier than trying to mill a new fully round scope base. And since these 3 scopes bases are free, it's also a lot cheaper than spending hundreds of dollars on new scope bases that may or may not work for your receivers. Even though you only have 2 receivers, I can send you 3 scope bases so that you have one to practice on or use as a replacement if something goes wrong when you're modifying the screw holes in the scope base. I can send you more than 3 bases if you need a few more, but I'm assuming that 3 is probably good.

@unclemoak, please shoot me a message with your shipping address if you want these scope bases and I'll send them to you. Please let me know if you have any questions about these Stiller Mk13 scope bases, and I'll do my best to provide any answers. Hopefully they're what you need for your rifle builds!

@unclemoak, I just realized that one of your receivers is a long action and the other receiver is a short action. My offer to send you some Stiller Mk13 scope bases still stands, let me know if you want them. Since the bases are long action, that should be simple to fit to your long action receiver. You can cut down one of the scope bases and drill a few new holes, then it will be able to fit your short action receiver. Both receivers are fully round and so are the scope bases, so they'll fit together, it's just the screw holes that need to be lined up.

Since you have 2 different receiver sizes, I can send you 4 scope bases. For each receiver, you can use one base to experiment with and one base to modify/refinish and then use on the receiver.

Reactions: unclemoak
Check with Murphy Precision, they could probably make something for you.

That was the ticket. Defiance did get back to me and confirm that the anTI bases would work and they also suggested Murphy's

While a bit spendy for the titanium option, this version will work for the short action I have.

and this will work for the long action.

Reactions: Tokay444
unclemoak, just as an aside -- if you're going to chamber the long action in something especially recoil heavy, take Tokay444's advice and install pins into the receiver in the holes between mounting screw holes to take some recoil and keep the screw shafts from shearing.

Many single-piece bridge mounts have a recoil butt that fits into the ejection port (at the front or in the rear at the clip slot). Examples:

1705173420383.png
1705173446195.png
1705173480184.png

unclemoak, just as an aside -- if you're going to chamber the long action in something especially recoil heavy, take Tokay444's advice and install pins into the receiver in the holes between mounting screw holes to take some recoil and keep the screw shafts from shearing.

Many single-piece bridge mounts have a recoil butt that fits into the ejection port (at the front or in the rear at the clip slot). Examples:

View attachment 8322063View attachment 8322064View attachment 8322066

Thanks for the advice.

I did plan to pin the scope bases since the Murphy bases already have a provision for that. I was thinking about using a West Texas switch lug too. I wanted to get all the machine work done before I send out the receivers to get nitrided.

Reactions: sinister