• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odessa 200yd FV F-Class start-up

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
We start our FV F-Class matches this Saturday the 4th at 11:00 AM.

$10 to shoot...2 relays of 20 rounds for score plus all needed sighters.

Here we are...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...=1&ct=image

From Rt.224, turn on Rt.228 and go about 300ft and turn left onto our driveway and come straight in over the small bridge to the clubhouse.

No, it`s not 1K, but we rarely see a PS here on our target. You don`t need a high dollar rig to compete. A varmint rifle is quite suitable and it will give you a chance to get back into good shooting form.

And yes, there will be Savage rifles there...
whistle.gif

Thanks!

Scott

Re: Odessa 200yd FV F-Class start-up

I'll be enroute from Orlando, and do not expect to get home in time, but will be at the next unless the sky falls.

Maybe Sunday...

as far as i know, ill be there
reading between the lines, do you have a smile from ear to ear over a new rifle

I'm going in for a follow up surgery tomorrow and am swamped with school work got about a million papers due next week. I'll try and make the next one though. Thanks for the PM heads up STP

Scott; I've been checking everyday to see when you guys would start up again. Thats great news, Jim is in the Caribbean right now and I'll be up in Toronto this weekend attending a Japanese sword class.

We'll catch the next one I hope. Maybe bring a new face or two.

I have a new 700VS in .223, should work out nice, optics are a little lacking, good enough to get started.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We start our FV F-Class matches this Saturday the 4th at 11:00 AM.

$5 to shoot...2 relays of 20 rounds for score plus all needed sighters.

Scott </div></div>

Is there a website listing all upcoming matches for the year ??

Forgive my ignorance but do you have to be an NRA member to compete and what is FV F-class matches-- what does FV stand for. Is there a weight limit for your matches and are muzzle brakes allowed ??

SP308,

Howdy!!

No, there is no website. We are an NRA club but no membership(s) are required to shoot with us. The matches are open to any and all that want to try our reduced distance "F-Class" format.

The FV target is something that Greg and I came up with. It looks like the early military V-bull target. If Kasumi sees this, and still has the pic when he and Jim shot with us, maybe he will repost it so you can see it.

To boil it down...it`s a 2 inch black bull with a one inch "X" (V) ring.
In simpler terms, think of it as a paper woodchuck shoot at 200yds. K?

Is it easy? I`ve yet to hear that it is, and there have been but 2 perfect scores fired that I can remember. And no, it sure wasn`t me.
grin.gif

It`a a relaxed atmoshere...with the focus on safety of course. (I`m the RO)

I don`t set a weight limit for our matches, and we have had a braked rifle put in an appearance a time or two. In fact, we`ve seen everything from a .338 Lapua Magnum to a .17 Ackley Hornet here. Of course the Hornet shooter was seen furiously scrubbing his barrel between relays!
wink.gif

Most of us were part of the Bodines Prone League, and I wanted to offer mostly the same thing...and all we have is a short rifle range, but still want to shoot in a side by side format as before.

The only firm match dates are the first Saturday each month. Then 2 or 3 weeks afterwards on a <span style="font-style: italic">Sunday </span>. That`s in order to give those that can`t make a Saturday, can plan on a Sunday. (I announce the Sunday dates here)

HTH???

Regards,

Scott

Not the best conditions today...(duh!!!)

Jda Sr and I were the contestants today. The wind conditions prevented any perfect scores being posted. Both rifles are F-T/O class.

Here are the results-

Jda Sr- 194-13V

STP- 183-9V

Jda Sr`s rifle is a 3-lug BAT action with a NF 12-42X56 glass.

I fired my " new" Accu-Trigger Savage with B&C Medalist stock with an older Remington 20XBR scope. (Thanks Deadeye!)

I called this as a "warm-up" match and waived the fee today. I`ve edited my first post as I listed the match fee as $5 for the match which was incorrect. The match fee is $10 as it was last year. (Half of what we paid to shoot the League matches.)

Thanks for showing up today John!

Scott

SP308 & STP
The FV target is something that Greg and I came up with. It looks like the early military V-bull target. If Kasumi sees this, and still has the pic when he and Jim shot with us, maybe he will repost it so you can see it.

Yep, I saved the images on Photobucket, here you go;
odessa004.jpg

And a few of the Odessa Club members;
odessa006.jpg

Greg and Scott run a great match, I hope to see you all soon, and meet some new people too.

Well, I made it home Saturday night and checked in w/Scotty on Sunday. Considering the winds nearly blew our 'to the headliner' loaded '95 Honda Accord Wagon clear off the road, all I can say is, that was soooome shooting you guys managed in the gale. Finally got the computer back up and online this afternoon. Spent some of yesterday crafting some ammo for the upcoming matches. There's a forecast day of clear weather Thursday, so I'll probably be getting the .223 back up and running at the club that afternoon.

I need to rezero it after revamping the barrel pressure pad. This rifle would never shoot well without one, and I detected some clearance between barrel and pad when I did my winter rifle storage routine. I fixed it on the spot, but the rezero, etc., still remains to be dome.

Greg

STP - just to clarify brakes are allowed ?

I belong to Forbes (15 minutes from home) so I can practice out to 1000 yards but can't compete because my muzzle brake.

Nice pics Kasumi- looks like a friendly enjoyable and laid back atmosphere. It would be about a 3 to 4 hour ride to get to you guys though.

Yes, your braked rifle is allowed. A .308Win I presume?

"Rhino" is up in that area as well...he shot with us a time or two last year.

It is a 308 -- brake is a badger FTE - I thought if I tried to take the brake off it would require timing or some kind of knowledge to properly re-install it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STP - just to clarify brakes are allowed ?

Nice pics Kasumi- looks like a friendly enjoyable and laid back atmosphere. It would be about a 3 to 4 hour ride to get to you guys though. </div></div>

SP308; I'm about 1 1/2 hours away myself and have attended one match. it is the friendly environment that will bring me back this year! I'm sure Scott will fit you in somewhere on the line, maybe on the outside.
Greg; a little snow today and 24 degree's just to welcome you back to NYS! Thought you could escape from it down in Florida did ya?

Hey, it's the first snow <span style="font-style: italic">I've</span> seen since about Jan 20th, so I'm actually pleased by the novelty. I suspect that novelty will begin to fade right about the time I'm forced to wield the snow shovel. Some novelty...

Since I have to drive to Buffalo tomorrow afternoon and stay over for an early stress test at the VA Thursday morning; said snow may become a bane. When I do that, I can arrange for a free room at the Valor Inn, which resides on one of the floors of the Buffalo VA Hospital. Said Inn is a collection of disused patient rooms, and VERY basic lodging. The room is accompanied by a $5 voucher for food at the Hospital Canteen. Not super, and the 3-5 hour drive (in the snow, normally 2-3 hours...), snow is not a plus added to the bargain.

If the stress test goes off without hitch, I will need to have a shock test performed for my new defibrillatror/pacemeker. They may elect to do this on the same visit. This stops the heart, and the test is performed in an OR in case the heart fails to restart itself normally. I'm a little stessed thinking about this in advance, but there's no alternative.

Complaining won't solve anything; so I'm in for a penny, in for a pound...; also, there goes the Thursday range session... Maybe Sunday...

Greg

Greg; Good luck with the stress & shock test. I'll look forward to hearing about how it went without a hitch next time I see you.

I might hit the range on Saturday, upper 40's partly sunny. I have a new Rem 700VS .223. I want to test it out at 200yds to see if that would be a good rifle to loan Jim for the next match.

SP308
just looked at the badger ordnance website, take a look for yourself
the FTE brake is made to be removable
if you are concerned about puting it back on in the same exact position, scribe a small witness mark on the barrel and brake. the mark can be small enough to be barely visable with the naked eye
leaving it off for a match will do no harm
I'm sure it won't make any difference [either on or off ] to anyone at Odessa
hope to see you there sometime

Did the stress, not the shock. Was something of a clustersumthin' 'erother. Nuclear test, and parts had to be done over repeatedly, something about 'atypical imaging agent takeup'. No physical problems but tedious as heck. They decided I couldn't handle the treadmill, so they did the chem test. Weird. Just weird.

Still don't know the if or the when about the shock test. I just love being left twisting in the wind... I don't even know who to call for results, my cardiologist has been reassigned, and no news yet on what follows that situation.

I jus' luv dat VA...

Greg

As far as brakes are concerned, nobody objected at the time, and I don't think there was any problem. I was right alongside the braked 338Lapooie, and I had no problem. These days, I shoot so crappy, it probably pays for me to be the guy next..., no great loss even if I do get rocked around.

Greg

Yeah right..., y'all jus' keep on believin' that...

Rofl...

Sorry if I missed it posted somewhere - but is the May Sunday event on the 17th? If so, I might be able to make it.

Thanks.
Steve

I believe so, Scotty said he was going to post the match announcement today. Worked up my ammo yesterday.

Greg