• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odessa FV 200yd F-Class match Aug. 7th

Re: Odessa FV 200yd F-Class match Aug. 7th

Excellent!

I expect to see Chris get in the 190`s this time...
wink.gif

I`m really looking forward to the trigger time!

Scott

I fully expect to be there as well. Someone has to challenge Greg for last place!

Maybe you need to set your sights alittle higher then last place, the outcome might be different. If its OK with STP we could do more of a "clinic" at one of these matches and see if we can combine our knowledge and help some of the shooters that are trying so hard, but are just missing something.
My time is free of charge.

Neither one of us came in last in the recent match, and Sled beat me nicely. The world is still turning in greased grooves, as Steinbeck once said.

I have reason to believe my charge weighing method may have flaws, and will be doing 'something different' this time around that takes handloading out of the equation. If outcomes alter favorably, I will be going to a beam scale.

But, the clinic idea is excellent, and I can certainly use someone giving me a critical eye as I ply my avocation.

I have always seen these events more as training than competition (last match not included), and have long advocated the two shooter coach/shooter alternation technique as a means of isolating and adressing shooting basics issues. I offer this as a suggestion.

Greg

It's more of a running joke. I don't think either of us are trying for last place.

We're not shooting for money, so to me these matches are about trigger time and learning. I don't think about score while I'm shooting. I try to focus on each shot individually, and try to figure out what made the good ones good and what caused the bad ones to go off.

I'm always open to advice/pointers/help. And there is no doubt that right now I've hit some sort of block that I can't get figured out. I'd be all for a clinic day if we could work that out.

Ditto that. The only time I think about score is when I'm not dropping points, and I don't get a lot of time to try out that particular line of thought.

Greg

I think a practice day helping each other with our shooting would improve everyones scores or at least help in finding problem areas in rifles, scopes, ammo or techniques.

I know my biggest "bad habit" is getting complacent when I'm shooting good, thinking "this is easy" and then the next thing you know you have one in the white! Then you get mad at yourself and let a few go without concentrating and now you have two more in the white and you lost the match AGAIN!

I just need someone to whisper in my ear....Slow down, breath, relax, aim, squeeze, fire......repeat.

I say it often, but each and every shot needs to be treated like a separate match, the <span style="font-style: italic">whole</span> match. The preceding shot is history and cannot be changed. The shot after the current is conjecture and isn't real, can't be real, until you're actually taking it. The current shot is the only one you can actually do anything about.

The hardest thing to do is to see your scores evaporate, and still keep the concentration up. I have seen people ready to give up, talked them into getting their act back together, and watched them go on to win the match. Attitude is <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> important. If you believe you can't win, well, fact is, you probably can't (you just talked yourself out of it). If you believe you can, you just might go ahead and do it after all.

Meanwhile, success breeds its own brand of gremlins. Gettin' stoked is just another form of distraction. Give it rein and it'll stampede you every time.

I suggest something different from a practice day, per se. I suggest .22 rimfire off to the side, concurrent with the main match. Shoot one relay C/F, the next R/F. I have 1/2 size targets, and intend to try them this W/E at 80yd (why 80yd? Same time of flight as a C/F at 200yd.).

That's the 'something different' I had mentioned for myself, to get the equipment out of the equation, and work with a known value. I need to find out if it's me or the gear that's going awry.

I wasn't going to mention it until I'd had a chance to try it out, and I suggest we keep it that way this time around. If it works out, we can chat it up here, after the match, and decide if it's an idea whose time has arrived.

The point here is that we don't have to make a choice, 'either/or', about shooting a match or shooting a practice day. The two functions can coexist this way, and it doesn't have to detract from or disrupt the main event.

Greg

while we are on the subject of new things, take a look at the last springwater match report
not trying to stir up annomosity but some friendly competition

Yes, I was looking at it too. Not interested in developing a rivalry. What we have is good, what they have is good, but the reasons may be different, and I think ours could suffer if the competition heated up.

Greg

Ammo is loaded, rifle is clean......who's bringing the donuts?

Also got my new perscription shooting glasses!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo is loaded, rifle is clean......who's bringing the donuts?

Also got my new perscription shooting glasses!!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Sniperone, I've brought bagels once and donuts twice, they go un-eaten. No time for carbs or sugary stuff. Course I ate ton load myself.
Jim, Doug and myself will be up late partying at Jim's house, its his B-Day Friday. We'll be enjoying Ribs and multiple cocktails till the wee hours of dawn. I doubt you'll see us on the 7th. catch you all at Springwater on the 29th or Odessa 9/4
oh yea....big news, Jim has a new .308. I'll let him tell you all about his new purchase. No more .223 as his only rifle.

I must of missed those matches when you brought the goodies! I eat just about anything, anytime, anywhere. My wife says I have a tape worm. Have fun at the party....Stay out from behind the wheel!

I am out of this one, my son Eric is at Camp Perry for two weeks competing in both CMP and NRA matches, doing rather well I must add. He needs an ammo caddy and banker, so I volunteered my services. I will look for the next Odessa match.

Shoot and have fun!

I would be willing to help and learn, if a clinic was scheduled, Tom has a good idea. For Tom I do not think he listens to whispers in his ear, we better shout commands with a bull horn at him just before he breaks his shot
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am out of this one, my son Eric is at Camp Perry for two weeks competing in both CMP and NRA matches, doing rather well I must add. He needs an ammo caddy and banker, so I volunteered my services. I will look for the next Odessa match.

Shoot and have fun!

I would be willing to help and learn, if a clinic was scheduled, Tom has a good idea. For Tom I do not think he listens to whispers in his ear, we better shout commands with a bull horn at him just before he breaks his shot
grin.gif

</div></div>

WHAT? I could use a caddy and a banker!!

This seems like a pretty tight knit group. Just wondering if there would be room on the line tomorrow for a new guy?

We haven't been since last year and really miss shooting with you guys. There is always room for new folks so just show up and get rolling!

Wish we could be there.

Whisky, did I read your stuff right, you've been a member for nearly a year and this is your first post? Wow come on brother get going!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This seems like a pretty tight knit group. Just wondering if there would be room on the line tomorrow for a new guy? </div></div>

I have family from Virginia this weekend. I will be at the Sunday shoot. I will also be bringing a new guy with too. Good luck to you guys shooting tomorrow.

Whisky - just because we are a tight knit group doesn't mean we don't welcome all who come to shoot! By all means, come on out and shoot with us.

sr15match - How are you liking Va?

Whisky,

Our regular shooters represent the entire spectrum of shooting experience. Bring yours...K?

Need a gun and ammo? I have that covered.

Need a coach/spotter? We have that covered too.

wink.gif

Regards,

Scott

sled - Well VA is OK I guess. It's not our favorite place but it's working for the moment. I'm headed back to A'stan in October for work so all shooting will be shelved until further notice. Bummer................
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whisky - just because we are a tight knit group doesn't mean we don't welcome all who come to shoot! By all means, come on out and shoot with us.

sr15match - How are you liking Va? </div></div>

Whisky, did I read your stuff right, you've been a member for nearly a year and this is your first post? Wow come on brother get going!

I guess I just don't have allot to say.

Thank you for the welcoming. I am looking forward to meeting many of you in the morning.

Once again, I'm beggin' off at the wire.

Weather's fine, but I've been on antibiotics all week (dental issue) and they've been decimating my stomach. Besides, since I'm not going to be participating in the main event anyway, what I actually do need to do can be done any time.

Everybody have a great time and be safe. My best thoughts are with you all

Greg