• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odessa May 2nd FV200yd F-Class results

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
Here are today`s results...

We had 7 guns today on a beautiful day here in upstate New York.

F/TR

Kasumi 186-17V
Jim R. 168-3V
Doug B. 131-3V

F/Open

STP 195-19V
JDA Sr 194-23V
Jeff W 173-8V
Greg L 172-5V

We had a great time today with 2 new friends shooting with us, Jeff and Doug. Thanks to both of you for making the trip!

I would like to hear from each of you to know that you made it home safely and your thoughts on the match.

I know I need to fix an ammo issue...
whistle.gif

Thanks!

Scott

Re: Odessa May 2nd FV200yd F-Class results

Great time, good weather, what more could you ask for. Thanks for hosting a great match. 4pm back in Rochester. We'll see you next time.

Scott,

STP 195-19V with an ammo issue? Maybe a few of the other guys would like your ammo issue
grin.gif

Anyway, I will get the new bushing made so you can fix the issue and get those 4 or 5 points back!

PS - I have the gun we spoke of so call me.

Dan

Great time Scotty; thanks.

I shot like #@*!; I should have had anothet bagel !

Doug

We made it back to Rochester by about 4. Great time had by all. Thanks for having us again. I am pleased with my score for a first time!!!! Look forward to next month. Jim R

Glad all made it home safe...thank you for posting guys!

Deadeye...My score was a surprise to me. (107SMK 107gr, with 33.5grs. Varget) Loose necks and all...

The 6BRX cartridge seems to be "idiot proof".
wink.gif

Scott

I had an unmitigated hoot!

I got to watch John and Scotty's scores build on their targets through the spotting scope, and it was a moment akin to watching the gods do their handiwork.

And John was absolutely fabulous as a mentor and critic of my own shooting. His advice allowed my sequential target spread to be gradually, continually reduced to a third the size of my first target. I have better confidence in my shooting future, thanks to him.

Meanwhile, the turnout produced both excellent shooters and absolutely fabulous competitors. To each and every one of you, it was pleasure to have you on our range, and I look fondly forward to the next opportunity to get you folks back.

Could not have asked for a more fortuitous day's weather. I am looking to the day when I can bring out the recently acquired vintage Rem 700 BDL .222 from my eldest Brother' collection. I had been suspicious that my .223's barrel might have been washing out, but John's tutelage has made it clear that the rifle can still shoot. I plan to do a very close examination of the crown, and to make my next batch of ammo up with newer brass, the old stuff appears to have some case volume issues related to overswaging with the primer pocket swager. There were a significant number of unexplained OMG flyers, and I think they could have been ammo related.

Greg

Interesting that my score for the last two matches were virtually the same. First match 187 13V, May 2nd match, 8 months later with a different rifle. 186 17V

So…..I’m a consistent shooter, if you can say that with so little data, now figure out what I can do to improve. I’ll ask Greg, Scott, John for suggestions next time out. Actually John already offered a little help, so I’m on the way to break the 190 barrier.

Jim aka Rupert was on the line with a Rem 700VS and off the shelf Fiocchi 55gr ammo. He scored a 168 3V, I wonder what the results will be once he finds the right load/ammo.

Doug knew his new custom bolt will shoot the lights out with FGMM, so what’s he do? He brings an unknown variable into the match by trying new ammo, HSM. 168gr.

That rifle will shoot .5moa with FGMM, Hornady, and Winchester Supreme Match. The groups for some reason open WAY up with Black Hills. ?? Don’t know why, it just does. Maybe it’s the same with the HSM. We’ll have to see next match when he brings the FGMM.

Scott; Thoughts on the match? Hmm……….don’t change a thing.

The Odessa boys put on a great match, and I'll be back. Thanks again to all the guys for having us. F-class rules.

I would say that since my scores were scraping the bottom, I'd likely not be a good source for advice.

I can vouch for John and STP at least.

I think that for this event, the .22 and 6mm chamberings are well matched and that larger chamberings may be less so. Good loads and well crafted ammo seem to figure into success. Watching John and STP doing their workmanlike thing, I was reminded that there is no substitute for sticking to the basics. For me, the less I time I spent in conscious thought, and the more time I spent in simply setting up and releasing the shot, the better I fared.

John suggested that the factory VLS stock is harder to achieve consistency off the bags with, and I agree. Somethings with bag riding surfaces that are parallel to the boreline would clearly be easier to manage.

In my own instance, I was very fatigued afterward, and am only now getting to where the stiffness is not constantly noticeable. I would differ with anyone who suggests that shooting is not a physical sport, and I'd also suggest that fitness correlates well to a better performance. I'll be needing to work on mine.

Greg

Greg; I agree with you, my neck muscles were still sore today, and staying that focused or concentrating for a solid hour is very demanding. I napped on the way home!

Someone once wrote that precision shooting is 98% mental and 2% physical. One could argue that a certain amount of physical stamina is needed.