• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oehler 35P vs PVM-21

Deisel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2007
Loveland, CO
www.colorproprint.com
Now that there is an opportunity to buy a new Oehler 35P I am thinking about getting one. I also have been thinking about the PVM-21 chronos. I would like to ask for those who have one or the other or both which they like. I don't want product bashing just honest opinions based on actual ownership. Thanks.

Re: Oehler 35P vs PVM-21

Have never used a PVM-21, but have owned the same 35P since @1989.

Well worth the money. It just keeps on ticking...

Setup and cleanup alone on the 35P is slow and a pain in the ass. In the day the 35 P was my chrono of choice. It was reliable but i found that i got to many unregistered shots.

The PVM is quick and easy pull out set up shoot and go. I dont have to worry about the sun messing with shit and i get readings all the time.

I had the luxery of switching and i did. If i didnt I would have been running the 35p still.

But knowing and using them both teh PVM-21 is the one for me!!

I've owned them both, my 35P runs like a clock, the printer featuer alone makes it the one to keep.

I made a box for my 35P, so set up is quick and easy. While I don't use it on a daily basis, I have no complaints. I do like printing out the data on the spot. Good luck my friend, JPG

I bought Jasons PVM 21 and promptly shot it. But it still works fine. In every lighting condition, all weather. The weak link is the battery setup and I am using a tractor battery now and I have no worries.
Never used the 35P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought Jasons PVM 21 and promptly shot it.</div></div>

That still makes me chuckle every time I think about it
laugh.gif

I set up the screens my 35P on a 4' aluminum square channel.
The wires are cable tied and sleeved in corrugated plastic.
I keep the whole setup, minus tripod, in a Dosko case.

That being said the PVM looks dead sexy,

I have been using the Oehler 35P for more years than I want to admit. For awhile it was a pain to set up for short range sessions. This past couple of years I was able to build my own range and now I have stands for it set in concrete. Just stick the screens on top of pre-set poles and go. Until I have problems I see no reason to change.

I built a wooden stand for the Oehler 35 which sets the skyscreens right on the ground so I can use it prone. And it's 8 feet long for maximum skyscreen spacing and thus accuracy. Beware the mechanical offset, though.

I got lazy on that front and use a milk crate with a 1/4" hole drilled in the top and a wing nut.