• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes of these 3 scopes -- which is the best choice for a .50 bmg

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Leupold MK4, Sightron SIII LR with glass etched moar reticule , or a Bushnell elite tactical. I don't care which one has the better glass or is a better value. I want the one that will with stand the beating it will take, unlike the 1st generation SIII Sightron that i had on it and had the side focus go out after 44 rounds. Thanks for your input

My vote would go to a bushnell elite tactical. I have a 6-24 that I am looking to sell if you would be interested, I am trying to move it to finance to a ffp scope. It tracks excellent, very clear for the price range, and turrets aren't as crisp as some of the high end stuff but still very easy to use. If you end up going towards the elite, pm me and I'll give you a sweet deal.

As someone who's not trying to sell any of them to you, I'd look hard for a Nightforce NXS in your price range, or a SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD model. I would expect either of those to hold up better than any of your list, and the companies to respond quickly if you call them up and say "my 50 ate your scope, can you fix or replace it?" Not that Leupold, Sightron and Bushnell won't take care of you too...

Of your list, the Sightron and Bushie come from the same factory, though obviously made to different specs. The Mark4 is a known item, but the one I owned didn't impress me much (glass was good, it damn well should be for an $1100 scope that is only 3.5-10x40mm and SFP and had to be sent in for service before it was ever mounted on a rifle). I guess I would get the Bushnell if I were limited to your list, but it would be a close call from a purely durability perspective. From a value and features perspective the Mark 4 wouldn't be on the list period. I have examples of the Bushnell ET and Sightron SIII series, both are very well made and have excellent glass, but the Bushnell feels more rugged (with no hard data to back that up).

I did not mean to come across as a salesman at all, if that seemed to be my intent I apologize. If you can afford a nightforce, I would recommend heading in that direction. Keep yours eyes on the for sale section here especially right here around the holiday season. I have no experience with swfa but they also have excellent reputations. Nobody has mentioned vortex viper pst yet. I have no experience with one but their warranty is about as good as you can get which would seem important in your situation.

Op, I'd take advice from people who have owned some of the scopes you mentioned, especially if they used them on magnum rifles like 338LM and the 50. I like one of the scopes in your list, the Bushnell 3.5-21 but it's only ever been on a few 308's I own so I don't have a good suggestion for you. I have read quite a few times that NF and Vortex Razors were used with success but not so much the lower end Vortex offerings. I'm sure some folks who have direct experience will find your thread. You also might try a search and find this has been asked many times before.

Last edited:
Leupold MK4, Sightron SIII LR with glass etched moar reticule , or a Bushnell elite tactical. I don't care which one has the better glass or is a better value. I want the one that will with stand the beating it will take, unlike the 1st generation SIII Sightron that i had on it and had the side focus go out after 44 rounds. Thanks for your input

If you are not concerned about value, then none of them. Buy a used nightforce on the hide and be done with it.

Nobody has mentioned vortex viper pst yet. I have no experience with one but their warranty is about as good as you can get which would seem important in your situation.

There have been multiple threads in the last year of Viper PST owners whose braked magnum rifles have broken the scopes. The only Vortex I would consider for this is the Razor.

I was referring to the vortex warranty mainly. Thank you for letting us know about the pst quality. A used nightforce will likely be his best bet.

Thank you for letting us know about the pst quality.

Heavy-kicking rifles with efficient brakes are very hard on scopes, with a reverse recoil that unbraked rifles don't generate. A Viper PST may work great for decades on an unbraked .308 or similar.

Can any of you guys tell me way the mk4 doesn't seem to be on anybodies list. I know it cost more , but I thought it was built tougher to withstand abuse than other scopes. Id like to get a night force, but budget wise that's probably not going to happen. I'm still not sure about the Sightron after the problem I had with the 1st generation. And with regards to the Bushnell, I just haven't heard enough about how well built they are to take the abuse. Also, does any one know if the 6-24 elite tactical have 50 or 70 moa of adjustment. I'm finding places that list either one of those values. Thanks

From your list, Mark 4. For strictly taking a beating with the warranty just in case, Nightforce NXS. Leupold's warranty is the same as well. The Nightforce for any reason honestly.

I do not own a 50; however, I would go with a mark 4 as that is the standard optic that comes on Barrett 50's so I would imagine it should hold up.

I had a Barrett M107 and the single shot version which I think was a model 91. They were both very hard on scopes! They killed several Mark 4s and Super Snipers. Both Leupold and SWFA did fix them under warranty with no problems. You will need a very tough scope to survive the muzzle blast that those rifles are capable of. I was going to get a Nightforce next to see if it could survive but I ended up just selling the rifles.