• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

off general subject... but.... are LLBean boots loosing their original quality? opinions please

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
have several but they are wearing out... would like to get more... but have heard they are backing off of their quality...

It's not just LL Bean, who's products I have worn for 50 years, it's all of the old school manufacturers. I am having the same issue with Danner. I reluctantly ordered a pair of Danner Canadians yesterday. I have returned some Danner's recently because they just did not "feel" like the old boots... I wear the LL Bean long sleeve T shirts with a pocket. That is now a $30 T shirt... Never thought a T shirt would somehow be my "Sunday, go to meetin' " shirt.

Hobo

Reactions: nikonNUT and Nik H
I see more people in Beans' duck boots that won't ever get dirty. Somehow they became a hipster status symbol 🤷‍♂️
I buy LL Bean gear for my kids, it wears well, but it's built cheap and consumable. I wouldn't ever buy their footwear.
It's not your Grand Dad's LL Bean anymore, it's Wall Street now, 6 of one...

Reactions: FishDr
Sorel... the new LL Bean. I have a pair that I've enjoyed for a few years now.
BUT... their quality ain't what it used to be either. Seems the whole manufacturing world is goin in the dumper

When people consider price more than quality, manufacturers lower quality to make sales. Call it the walmart mentality. Very few people understand that things can actually last...

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
I bought my first pair of LL Bean Cresta Leather Hikers in about 1984(?). Walked the tread off many pairs in many places. They were Italian made, fit like a glove, and dependable. Wore them up until 2014, when the soles would fall off. After 2 pair had the soles fall off in the field, I moved on. I now use Oboz boots for field work and have been very happy with the build quality and fit (Oboz is made in Montana).

Really hate to see LL Bean fade away. Oh well... buy quality and don’t look back.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Sorel... the new LL Bean. I have a pair that I've enjoyed for a few years now.
BUT... their quality ain't what it used to be either. Seems the whole manufacturing world is goin in the dumper
Yup! I have a Northface dome tent that my Dad bought when I was 6 (1977) and at 43 years old is still going strong. They still make some legit gear ala the Summit Series 2-meter Dome and Inferno sleeping bags but when I saw their stuff in DIllard's for all the college kids / hipster douchebags to wear I knew the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graywolf.260
I'm not sure that I entirely agree that the manufacturing world has gone to hell. It seems like there are 2 diverging paths. The first is occupied largely by legacy companies that are household names, like LL Bean, and they manufacture and market to a price point. Unfortunately, that turns into a race to the bottom when the business model requires continuous growth in a limited market. Cheaper is easier to sell. The other path are the innovators, and we see tons of them in the outdoor retail space, particularly in long range shooting. And so many of them make truly innovative, top notch products that far surpass anything that was offered even a decade or two ago.

As with so many things, the dividing line is a financial one. This is a great time to be a consumer if you can afford the high quality innovation that is increasingly available. If finances require more restraint, the "good old days" of manufacturing probably start to take on a golden hue. When I buy tools and equipment for work, I buy the absolute best I can find, because I can't afford to do otherwise. And the stuff is fantastic. When it comes to play, I largely fall on the "restraint" side of the line.

OP, don't know what kind of LL Bean boots you are looking to replace, but there is almost certainly something better out there, I've tried 2 different pairs of footwear from them in the last 5 years, and I won't be trying any more in the next 5...

Reactions: FishDr
I'm curious, do they have a tag that says "Made in China"?

I don't have any Bean footwear. But their Original Duck Boot, like the one the Red Sox turned into an LL Bean Boot Car that drives around, lol, with the navy rubber bottom and tan leather top, those ones they do still make in Maine, and those are the ones being worn by instagram kids, celebrities, etc. They sold out so fast a few years ago (2016 World Series?) that they expanded the local factory. But the remainder of the catalog clothes, shoes, and slippers are likely outsourced, china, vietnam, etc. and my kids' jackets say bangladesh. I don't blame companies for the way they grow, and we drive it as consumers, but I agree most things seem more fragile than days of old. Maybe I'm just getting old too. I wear outsourced footwear: Vasque, Keen, etc., and I just plan on new shoes every couple match seasons, just like kids' clothes.
LL Bean is big in Maine, that's good and I'm glad their outlet is close by, but it's far from its roots, in good ways and bad. I used to use their in-store FFL for transfers, but they will only do Fudd hunting rifles/shotguns now, no pistols or mil style stuff, a political move. My vudoo and first altus barreled action came through them, and they do still have a nice hunting/fishing section where you can find FGMM.
Really though, the best thing about Freeport Maine is the Maine Beer Company south on Rt. 1 that brews the best beers I've ever had, international competition winning beers, check that place out next time you're in Vacationland--Maine Beer Co.--made in Maine :geek: 🇺🇸

I'm not sure that I entirely agree that the manufacturing world has gone to hell. It seems like there are 2 diverging paths. The first is occupied largely by legacy companies that are household names, like LL Bean, and they manufacture and market to a price point. Unfortunately, that turns into a race to the bottom when the business model requires continuous growth in a limited market. Cheaper is easier to sell. The other path are the innovators, and we see tons of them in the outdoor retail space, particularly in long range shooting. And so many of them make truly innovative, top notch products that far surpass anything that was offered even a decade or two ago.

As with so many things, the dividing line is a financial one. This is a great time to be a consumer if you can afford the high quality innovation that is increasingly available. If finances require more restraint, the "good old days" of manufacturing probably start to take on a golden hue. When I buy tools and equipment for work, I buy the absolute best I can find, because I can't afford to do otherwise. And the stuff is fantastic. When it comes to play, I largely fall on the "restraint" side of the line.

OP, don't know what kind of LL Bean boots you are looking to replace, but there is almost certainly something better out there, I've tried 2 different pairs of footwear from them in the last 5 years, and I won't be trying any more in the next 5...

I am replacing the gumshoe... original pair I got in '97 and the soles are now worn to the point of cracking and letting water in... also have the 10" thinsulate purchased at the same time, and they are wearing well, though they haven't been used as much as the gumshoe year round... I am glad from the one post that they are still made in Maine... but I do lament the demise of the excellent US based footwear outfits... especially boots... I still have and use hunting boots that I bought in '76, those are original Herman Survivors, thinsulate, waterproof, vibram soles... they are still great though the upper tongue is starting to rot away... such a shame that family owned business like that with excellence as their middle name were sold off and now are on the heap of failed reputation... much like Woolrich, you can't find anything that they still manufacture in the original woolen factory in Woolrich, Pa. , every bit of it is outsourced now... damn shame

I agree with you @Win223 I almost added to my post "Except here in the Long Range Shooting world", but that would be too narrow as well. Seems there are a few companies that still consider quality and durability, materials choice, etc to be the driving force. More often than not, those are getting as much of my business as I can send their way. It is false economy to buy cheap, and repeat the purchase multiple times. I should have been more clear and stated that most big name companies seem to be lowering quality towards reaching a price point.

Thanks for making the distinction and your input.

thought more about my last post and the combined thoughts of both Win223 and FishDr.... when I came out of active duty in the Navy and was recruited by IBM to begin a mainframe sales career, I moved into the world of professional clothing... in those days most associated IBM with the "15 pound wingtip"... and of those, most wore the Florsheim Imperials... I did that, and also supplemented with Nettleton wingtips, as they were pretty much the same in reputation and quality... as time wore on Florshiem went the way of the big box stores and not the small private shoes store... Nettleton was driven out of the business by cost and market issues... needless to say the quality dropped off the chart... I moved to FootJoy, as they made great shoes for golf, and followed into the Boardroom with street shoes... same things happened to them... they started adding sporting goods stores and turned their backs on Country Club markets.. they have gone to hell, as well...

That left Allen Edmonds and Alden... things are happening with both of them now, as well... the best shoes I have ever purchased are from Alden.. yes, $350 to $500 a pair, but they have lasted for 15 years without having to factory resole and with wooden last specific shoe trees, are not even showing creases.. now that is craftsmanship and quality in leather selection... sadly, Alden is apparently going the way of the others as well due to a Family divorce... original family private ownership is always the best, but with certain weaknesses, especially with egos...

Ive never worn LL Bean but I do wear redwings every day and just love them. ive found that actually taking care of boots helps lol. Ive also got a pair of vasque hiking boots that I really like. although I think redwing dropped them. I try to only use the boots for what they were made for and that saves them a lot.

Last I checked the iconic LL Bean boot is still made in Maine, some right down the road in Brunswick.

Its an interesting niche piece of footwear. Great for slowly still hunting in the Maine fall wet woods - not so good for long sits in a tree stand.

My Bean boots from a few years back are holding up very well and they get hunted a good bit. You do need to take them off by hand and do not use the toes of the other boot to strip down the heel - they will separate at the stitching between the leather and the rubber.

I have seen a dramatic drop in quality in their rain gear and flannel shirts. I have 20 year old flannel shirts that are holding up better than one two years old. Not sure what happened but its obvious.

Their fishing and hunting gear is still pretty good and their Fly Fishing equipment is a real good deal for what you get.

I don't know, I bought a set of waterproof boots for the winter about 20 years ago and they're still going strong 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know, I bought a set of waterproof boots for the winter about 20 years ago and they're still going strong 🤷🏼‍♂️
Absolutely. The ones I purchased long ago are still holding up well. The ones purchased two years ago.... about finished.