• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off the shelf .30-06 Precision Rifle? Where and Which one?

THAT IS A HELLOVA DEAL...I owned the 110FP in .223 and 300WM...always wanted a 30-06 but now I am settled into my 308 Savage and a 243AI Savage, both heavy barreled tacticals, soon I am building a SBR 14.5" with a welded suppressor mount 308 M40 stocked based on a Savage action, well..just because I can and I want a handy small gun for the truck and hunting ...I get to use the same primers, powder...I scored 1500 FGMM 1 X brass and 600 Lapua 243 a while back...I think I am set...I like the 308 well because its a 308...and the 243AI is such a fast ass flat shooting high BC shooter with 107 SMK and 115 DTACS I just caint help but love it...

You're a bit too far to pick it up in person but I could give the info on the shop. They might be willing to arrange something.

Been working on my Browning A-Bolt for a while now.Love the 3 lug bolt and 60 degree bolt throw.Did a trigger job on it,replaced the stock,put a muzzle break on it and it shoots damn good with some 4895 and some berger bullets.The throat is getting some wear on it so I am probably going to throw a new barrel on it.Just a thought,love those browning actions.

He and I had a short discussion about this yesterday and will talk a bit more so that he does what he thinks is right for him. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon who's looking) he's also an avid gun owner and now is doing research on alternative calibers. We did discuss the subject of recoil, along with the reloading and the heavies he'd likely be using for LR. This promises to be a fun project for the two of us... for me vicariously.

Thanks [MENTION=40279]GrantA[/MENTION]; that's good information. I don't currently shoot any 30-06 and have no experience with it outside of some hunting many, many years ago with regular box ammo. I must say that I am learning quite a bit between my own research, posts on this thread, and links you guys have included.

A .260 is a great round, but barrel life is typically 2,500. I believe the 6.5 Creedmore rifles have a better barrel life, due to less powder. You could have the barrel nitrided, it should last much longer.

Barrel Nitriding: 11,000 round update

Lash,

There is nothing wrong with shooting a .30-06 in competition. There's a fellow by the name of German Salazaar, a world champion that competes with a 30-06 and is a foremost expert on shooting the 06. His website is here The Rifleman's Journal: Articles Index

The barrel should be chambered with a serengetti reamer as recommended by Mr Salazaar.

The only con about shooting an 30-06 to its potential is recoil. If the 30-06 is to be shot at 1,000yards, then you want to load it to the same pressure levels as a 308, which means, you'll be effectively shooting factory 300WM ammo. It is a lot of recoil to contend with, especially in any sort of bullseye competition where muzzle brakes are not allowed.

If muzzle breaks or cans are allowed where your buddy shoots, then the above caution is moot.

If muzzle devices are not allowed, the best bet to alleviate recoil is to do one or combination of the following:

1. download the ammo to slightly faster (~100fps or so) over 308 velocities
2. modify the rifle stock to add a recoil absorber GRACOIL ADJUSTABLE LENGTH OF PULL RECOIL REDUCER | Brownells
3. Ensure rifle weight is high...say 18-20lbs or upper end of competition limit.

Thus far, I've been shooting an M1 garand in highpower competition (iron sights @ 200yards, 300yards & 600yards) and have dabbled a little at 1,000 yards...I gave up on the garand at 1,000 since the rear peep sight is elevated so high that you no longer have a cheek-weld, and also, there are better tools for the job. The loads i shoot out of my garand are bolt gun loads...and because i shoot them out of a semi, recoil is only a little bit more than on my 308AR. I am able to get away with it by using a ported gas plug. Specifically this one Shooting Commercial Ammunition in your M1 Garand

I just picked up a bolt rifle in 30-06 that will be my dedicated 1,000yard gun. It is a Savage Model 110 BVSS with a laminated stock and 26" fluted Varmint barrel and accutrigger. Picked up this rifle for $630 off gunbroker. These rifles frequently pop-up on GB and gunsamerica, so if you are patient, these can be picked up for a song.

Building a rifle off an Remington 700 action would be easier given availability of components.

All that said, how good is your buddy at wind reading? Because to be honest, what separates the top shooters from everyone else is one's ability to read the wind and adjust accordingly. The rifle, action, caliber, etc are all secondary to this...they provide an advantage only to shooters (< 1% of shooters) good enough to be able to shoot the difference...

Last edited:
I think that the 155 Palma bullets should do better in a .30-'06 than a .308, and confess some interest in the new 135SMK Sierra's marketing. Note the review statement:

A good load in 30-06 is to work up to around 56 grains of VARGET(AR 2208). Chronographs at 3225 in my Vanguard with 24'' barrel and shoots flat and accurate!!

I honestly believe that there's no reason to think one must to beat oneself up using the .30-'06, even at 1Kyd.

I seldom shoot beyond 250yd these days, and a fair bit of what I do shoot with the .30-'06 comes out of a Garand; but I don't question the potential for a .30-'06/155 Palma load out of a 1:12" or 1:14" twist longer barrel, and simply have to wonder whether the 135SMK could be viable in such a barrel, maybe all the way out to 1Kyd. At shorter distances like the 250yd I shoot, I suspect twist wouldn't matter much at all, so long as the bullet can manage the RPM's.

As for wind, there is no such thing as a bullet that doesn't get blown around, IMHO it's really more a matter of learning your rifle and load.

Greg

Last edited:
Savage will custom make you a a 110FCP HS Precision in 30-06 if you want. I looked into this exact same option a few months ago. I called their custom shop and the lady on the phone was very nice and helpful. She made an order sheet and a reference number for a gun dealer to call and order and I would have gotten my "custom" 30-06 in a heavy barrel from the fatory. IIRC she quoted my about $1500 but said it would vary a little form shop to shop. Hope this helps, but as others have mentioned, the 06 can be punishing, or just put a break on it. YMMV.

Good luck.

$1500 for the "custom" savage sounds high, you could buy a basic 700 for under $500, a premium barrel blank for $325, then have the action trued, barrel chambered around $400. Put that into an hs takeoff stock with a tuned old style trigger, and for about $1500 you have much more. I'd think real hard about that varmint barrel 30-06 that Montana Marine linked though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hands down, purchase the rifle Montana Marine linked. That is an amazing deal.